digitalmars.D - Quality of D

reply "Andreas Schmid" <monkey gmx.info> writes:
Hi,

I have not spent a long time programming in D and am still discovering all
the wonderful features it has to offer - but I can already say with
certainty it is by far the best programming language I have ever used.

It seems to me that Walter, after all the years of developing the C++
compiler, has gathered immense knowledge of useful features and expensive
features that not only bloat the language itself but also add significantly
to compilation time.

Writing a compiler is certainly one of the more demanding programming tasks,
to say the least - I wonder: Would the quality of D have suffered if it was
an open source project in which virtually everyone, no matter how much
experience or what background, could participate?

I know that many programmers dislike garbage collection. I suspect that only
true experts like Walter really know how expensive a garbage collector is in
various situations, can correctly evaluate its usefulness and devise an
efficient implementation - and am afraid that if D had been a
community-project from the ground up, this wonderful feature would have been
one of the first to be dropped due to popular demand.

I've followed the "F Word" thread in D.gnu and and have the feeling that
maybe it's a good thing that Walter pulls the strings.

Like: "I'm giving you a garbage collector and many other extremely useful
features against your will, and although you won't immediately realize it,
it's good for you." ;-)

-Andreas
Apr 21 2005
next sibling parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Andreas,

I couldn't agree more.  Also, Walter does, from time to time, listen to us.  But
I like it that he does not listen to us all the time.  Otherwise, he would go
crazy.  Or as we, the hispanic community say, "loco."

Great job, Walter!

Thanks for the wonderful post, Andreas.  We don't see enough of these.

josé

Andreas Schmid says...
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent "Charlie" <charles jwavro.com> writes:
I'd have to agree here, Im glad Walter kept it closed source.  I think it
was also a great move to leave the front-end open for tool writers / other
compiler writers.  I think this will go along way for the development of the
language also :).

Hip Hip!
Charlie

news:d4997k$v07$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Andreas Schmid" <monkey gmx.info> wrote in message
news:d4997k$v07$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I know that many programmers dislike garbage collection. I suspect that
only
 true experts like Walter really know how expensive a garbage collector is
in
 various situations, can correctly evaluate its usefulness and devise an
 efficient implementation - and am afraid that if D had been a
 community-project from the ground up, this wonderful feature would have
been
 one of the first to be dropped due to popular demand.
I, for a very long time, was convinced that garbage collectors were crutches for poor programmers, and that there's no way a gc app could beat a carefully written explicitly memory managed app. It's so obvious by inspection. It's the conventional wisdom (see the thread entitled "Why do you program in C++?" 4/18/2005 on comp.lang.c++.moderated). Then, when writing a Java compiler, I was forced into dealing with one. Imagine my disbelief when I discovered that gc programs are often *faster*, in addition to being quicker to write and less buggy. This effect is often why D outperforms C++, to the point where the proponents of the Conventional Wisdom have literally accused me of "sabotaging" C++. (Of course, gc isn't a panacea for all memory management problems, which is why D allows one to use explicit memory management where that makes sense.) An interesting discovery I made was that much of the numbing complexity in C++ comes from attempts to deal with managing memory.
Apr 21 2005
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:d49ed9$13kn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Yes, and, alas, this gets tied up in other GC-languages with other resources, which is so wrong-headed it makes your cheeks laugh. Thankfully we have auto in D, and therefore adroitly sidestep the debate completely. ;)
Apr 21 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Yes, it is so nice when more than one way of thinking is supported... as I was
just stating in another thread should be much more common than it is.  :)

TZ

"Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> wrote in message
news:d49f4t$14ab$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Apr 22 2005
prev sibling parent "uframer" <uframer sina100.com.cn> writes:
I Vote for GC!
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com>
дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:d49ed9$13kn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <John_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d4997k$v07$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andreas Schmid says...
[...]

1) It was never doubted that Walter should pull the strings. I agree he always should... 2) It was never suggested (to my knowledge) that the language should be open-sourced. This was not the object of the "F-word" discussions. really means). Many suggestions have been made to encourage faster improvements to D (bug fixes or language features critical to current projects), specifically shared work load and better management. discussions really made no aspersion to such an idea. They emphasized better interaction/communication/feedback with/to Walter. There were hopes that if Walter surrounded himself with a semi-official committee of sorts, there would be better accountability and responsiveness. This is the current problem. The single man team called Walter doesn't or can't respond to suggestions from people struggling with langauage issues in important projects (especially as the size of the d community grows and the number of d projects increases -- overload!). And if he does respond, fixes don't occur fast enough to keep important projects rocketing forward. All the deligthtful suggestions recently proffered to solve this problem were indeed "good" as far as their intent goes. But I can't see the Big guy even coming close to gleaning this newsgroup's priority items with or without decorative tags, let alone responding to suggestions. Direct emails to him would be a better solution -- *shudder*. The bug-fixing marathon alone is enough to keep that guy busy for a long time. Take a look at dstress. Why am I beating at this again? Boy, Matthew was right, I am beginning to sound like a GOM. Oh no, it can't be happening yet! By the way, I'm just kinda grumpy, not so much where this topic is concerned anymore... and it has more to do with my not having my one and only laptop to console (oops! pun!) me. :-) (in for repairs *sigh*) - JJR
Apr 21 2005
next sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 2) It was never suggested (to my knowledge) that the language should
 be open-sourced.  This was not the object of the "F-word"
 discussions.
Ouch, something hit my ankle! I have to elaborate on my Micro Forks talk. The Micro Forks were actually not demands to open source DMD. Instead, I was thinking of GDC packaged so that any beginner could start tinkering "out of the box".
Apr 21 2005
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Georg Wrede wrote:

 2) It was never suggested (to my knowledge) that the language should
 be open-sourced.  This was not the object of the "F-word"
 discussions.
Ouch, something hit my ankle! I have to elaborate on my Micro Forks talk. The Micro Forks were actually not demands to open source DMD. Instead, I was thinking of GDC packaged so that any beginner could start tinkering "out of the box".
I don't understand this, Walter has "open-sourced" D long ago ? (at least the parsing/lexing/front-end and the standard library) That the back-end of DMD is not open source is understandable, and as far as I know most of it is being shared with DMD anyway (just as the GDC backend is being shared with GCC, I suppose ?) And since both DMC and DMD are free of charge, most don't care. The only thing that is missing now is the D specification itself, but as I understood it - that was mostly due to fear-of-forking before it had been finalized as "D (the programming language) 1.0" ? http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/20694 Hopefully this means that it will eventually be an open standard... (no idea what's involved in getting something like ISO or EMCA) Meanwhile, my company is sponsoring work on the Mac version of GDC both based on "hope" and since it has already proven useful enough. It's all GPL. (will be on http://sourceforge.net/projects/gdcmac/) But currently the only documentation is on Digital Mars home page. --anders
Apr 22 2005
prev sibling parent reply Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 2) It was never suggested (to my knowledge) that the language should be
 open-sourced.  This was not the object of the "F-word" discussions.

 discussions really made no aspersion to such an idea.  They emphasized better
 interaction/communication/feedback with/to Walter.  There were hopes that if
 Walter surrounded himself with a semi-official committee of sorts, there would
 be better accountability and responsiveness.  This is the current problem.  The
 single man team called Walter doesn't or can't respond to suggestions from
 people struggling with langauage issues in important projects (especially as
the
 size of the d community grows and the number of d projects increases --
 overload!).  And if he does respond, fixes don't occur fast enough to keep
 important projects rocketing forward.
 - JJR
FWIW, D has been open sourced (not just suggested). Ref: gdc. This doesn't reflect on Walter at all, but I'd be much less interested if there weren't an open source edition.
Apr 22 2005
parent John Reimer <John_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d4blvk$3e1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Charles Hixson says...
John Reimer wrote:
[...]

My statement about open-source was indeed ambiguous, I apologize. I meant "open-sourcing" the /language/ as in "opening" the language /specification/ to free, unmoderated public modification. My point was to indicate that doing so was not the topic of discussion in previous posts (perhaps I interpreted wrong?). It was not my intention to refer to the actual software tools that implement the language specification (open source tools for D do indeed exist). Poor choice of words on my part, I fear. D definitely needs the rudder operator, and Walter is it. But the rudder operator needs a bunch more oars-men to move that boat.
Apr 22 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
Well, despite carping a lot recently (and having a lot to carp
about, to be sure), there is no doubt that D has *much* merit.

Lars and I are currently considering ways of enhancing std.openrj.
One of the things I've wanted to do is read the comment for a record
and represent it as a property of the Record object.

I've just coded and tested this, and it took me 10 - yes, that's
ten, a one and a zero, minutes - to code and test. And more of that
was spent changing the makefile than the D code.

How d'ya like them apples?!?

:-)