digitalmars.D - Anyone care to jump in here?

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Bartosz Milewski is trying to help us out by stimulating discussion on D on
his forum at Reliable Software.

 http://www.relisoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219&view=getnewpost
Apr 17 2005
next sibling parent reply Kevin Bealer <Kevin_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d3urme$2kug$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
Bartosz Milewski is trying to help us out by stimulating discussion on D on
his forum at Reliable Software.

 http://www.relisoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219&view=getnewpost
I did. I have a few 'simple' C++ like classes like "vector" (C++-like) DEVector (double ended version - empty space and elements can be on either end), and priority queue (simple heap version). Would these be interesting as a part of the library? If so, do I start a dsource project, email them somewhere, etc? Is there a general rule for this? I'm sure I'm not the only one to write up these sorts of things. Kevin
Apr 17 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 In article <d3urme$2kug$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
Bartosz Milewski is trying to help us out by stimulating discussion on D on
his forum at Reliable Software.

 http://www.relisoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219&view=getnewpost
I did. I have a few 'simple' C++ like classes like "vector" (C++-like) DEVector (double ended version - empty space and elements can be on either end), and priority queue (simple heap version). Would these be interesting as a part of the library? If so, do I start a dsource project, email them somewhere, etc? Is there a general rule for this? I'm sure I'm not the only one to write up these sorts of things. Kevin
I would recommend starting a dsource project. Get Brad to create a project space for you etc... I did this for Build and its been pretty easy to use, including the SVN stuff. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 18/04/2005 1:31:00 PM
Apr 17 2005
parent Kevin Bealer <Kevin_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <813d5a3d77f9.syglsebiunpd.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
 In article <d3urme$2kug$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
Bartosz Milewski is trying to help us out by stimulating discussion on D on
his forum at Reliable Software.

 http://www.relisoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219&view=getnewpost
I did. I have a few 'simple' C++ like classes like "vector" (C++-like) DEVector (double ended version - empty space and elements can be on either end), and priority queue (simple heap version). Would these be interesting as a part of the library? If so, do I start a dsource project, email them somewhere, etc? Is there a general rule for this? I'm sure I'm not the only one to write up these sorts of things. Kevin
I would recommend starting a dsource project. Get Brad to create a project space for you etc... I did this for Build and its been pretty easy to use, including the SVN stuff.
Okay - I'll take a few days to flesh out/clean up what I have now and create a project in a few days. Goal: 'mostly drop-in' replacements for porting of C++ code, plus maybe a few D-ish versions of the same functionality. Kevin
--
Derek
Melbourne, Australia
prev sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Walter wrote:
 Bartosz Milewski is trying to help us out by stimulating discussion on D on
 his forum at Reliable Software.

  http://www.relisoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219&view=getnewpost

He must be a fan of D, then : ) Your army is growing. Of course, it is kind of funny seeing a huge leauge of unregistered posters suddenly saying good things about D. I/we have been accused of being paid to promote it, lol. Since then I have tried to concentrate on both strengths/weaknesses. Obligatory Field of Dreams quote, "If you build it, they will come."
Apr 18 2005
next sibling parent reply Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:
 Walter wrote:

 Bartosz Milewski is trying to help us out by stimulating discussion on
 D on
 his forum at Reliable Software.

  http://www.relisoft.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219&view=getnewpost
He must be a fan of D, then : ) Your army is growing. Of course, it is kind of funny seeing a huge leauge of unregistered posters suddenly saying good things about D. I/we have been accused of being paid to promote it, lol. Since then I have tried to concentrate on both strengths/weaknesses. Obligatory Field of Dreams quote, "If you build it, they will come."
I mentioned it to my CS professor, Timothy Budd, and he said he'd take a look at it, since he likes to learn a new language every year :) Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of him before? I was just wondering because although he's a professor here at Oregon State, he has also written a whole bunch of programming books. -- -PIB -- "C++ also supports the notion of *friends*: cooperative classes that are permitted to see each other's private parts." - Grady Booch
Apr 18 2005
next sibling parent Marcio <mqmnews321 sglebs.com> writes:
Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> wrote in news:d410en$1ml8$1
 digitaldaemon.com:

 I mentioned it to my CS professor, Timothy Budd, and he said he'd take a
 look at it, since he likes to learn a new language every year :)

 Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of him before? I was just wondering
 because although he's a professor here at Oregon State, he has also
 written a whole bunch of programming books.
Any decent Smalltalker will have heard of Timothy Budd and his Little Smalltalk work etc. marcio
Apr 18 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Paul Bonser wrote:
 clayasaurus wrote:

 Walter wrote:

[...]

Seems he's a prolific author, but none of the books have made it to the top 10 on Amazon.
Apr 18 2005
parent Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> writes:

 Seems he's a prolific author, but none of the books have made it to the
 top 10 on Amazon.
Probably has something to do with the fact that most of them were either written before Amazon was around, or are text books, mainly used in conjunction with a CS course, which means the majority of them are probably bought through school book stores. -- -PIB -- "C++ also supports the notion of *friends*: cooperative classes that are permitted to see each other's private parts." - Grady Booch
Apr 18 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> writes:
 Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of him before? I was just
wondering
 because although he's a professor here at Oregon State, he has also
 written a whole bunch of programming books.
Name sounds familiar .... computer algorithms? Seems like I looked at one of his books when I was trying to figure out "skip lists" or "red-black trees" or something like that.
Apr 18 2005
prev sibling parent Marco <Marco_member pathlink.com> writes:
I mentioned it to my CS professor, Timothy Budd, and he said he'd take a
look at it, since he likes to learn a new language every year :)

Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of him before? I was just wondering
because although he's a professor here at Oregon State, he has also
written a whole bunch of programming books.
yes - I've skimmed through his books at Borders
Apr 22 2005
prev sibling parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Your army?  Our army! :-)

clayasaurus says...