digitalmars.D - Suggestion -- implicit imports

reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Okay, so this could get hairy.  Still, I think it deserves to be considered, so
I'm posting it here.  Walter, if you're reading this... thanks for encouraging
me to try the newsgroup.  I hope you see this, because I think it could be very
important in the long run.

What I'm proposing is that functions and such which have been well established
should not require explicit importing of the module that contains them.

I'm not saying that "all" established functions, objects, members, and so on
should be automatically imported, but rather that the ones which are used as if
they are a needed part of the D language should be treated as a part of the
language, but without having to be built into the language.

For example, if I use the writef function but fail to specifically import a
module that contains a function by that name, the D compiler could choose a
default module for me from a list and import it without being asked to.  If I
do import a module that contains a writef function, then the default module
would not have to be imported.  If I neither specify to import a module that
contains a writef function nor use a writef function, then again... the default
module for the writef function would not be imported... unless another function
that I did use also specified the same default module and I didn't specify a
different module to import containing a variation of that other function.

I bring this up, because I have frequently seen C and C++ programmers talk
about certain functions as if they are a built in part of the C language...
most likely because they usually start with an old source file that's evolved
from something they wrote longer ago than they can remember, and the include
statements that they need most often are already in it.

This concept could theoretically be further expanded to allow parts of a module
to be imported, based on possible dependancies... but I digress.

The idea is to simply make it so that features which are considered for all
practical purposes to be a needed part of the language could simply be used as
if they are a built in part of the language, saving the newbie programmer a
whole lot of trouble in learning to write a simple program.

As an example, I should be able to write a "Hello world" program as follows...

int main()
{
 writef("Hello world!);
 return 0;
}

and have it compile and run "as is" rather than having to specifically import a
module containing the writef function.

If I want the program to open a dialog in Windows or just print in DOS, then I
should be able to write it as...

int main()
{
version(Windows)
 MessageBoxA(null,"hello!","message_box",MB_OK);
else
 writef("Hello world!);
 return 0;
}

That is, if the MessageBoxA function were included in implicit import list.  I
know I'm not nearly qualified to say which functions should be considered that
well known or that important to the programming community as a whole, but I'm
sure there are people programming in D who are... and I would like their input.

I've never liked C, and I like C++ even less.  As programming languages go,
they are among my least liked, but anyone who programs is forced to put up with
them because they are just that pervasive.   One of the things that I dislike
most about them is that they tend to discourage people from learning to
program.  In the D programming language, I see the potential to capture what is
good in C and C++ while doing away with this "no newbies allowed" attitude.

Here's what I think a minimal "Hello world" program "should" look like in D...

write("Hello world");

Yep.. that's it.  A keyword that could be guessed in a few tries by someone who
has never used the language, and the established D syntax, with an implied main
function and an implied return value.

Think about it.  How many programs have you seen that have...
return 0;
}
...at the end?

If a module with no return value at the end is compiled and linked to run as a
standalone program, the compiler-linker should be able to make the assumprion
that 0 is to be returned when the "end" of the program is reached.

Also, if no main function is found in a module, but there is a list of
statements not enclosed in anything... that list should be assumed to be the
main function.

I might even go as far as to say that if someone tries to see what's in
args[][1] in the main function without first specifying what "args" stands for,
the compiler could probably make an assumption about that too... and if it's
not obvious to someone reading this what that assumption should be, it would
probably surprise most of the other people reading this... because there is a
well known standard usage that probably every D programmer is familliar with.

Okay, so instead of "write" I could have used "writef" which is more
established... but my point is, while it's nice to make the D language feel
familliar to established programmers, I would think it equally important to
make it easy for a new programmer to get started in.

Donald A. Kronos, PhD. - TechnoZeus
Apr 13 2005
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
TechnoZeus wrote:

 I bring this up, because I have frequently seen C and C++ programmers
 talk about certain functions as if they are a built in part of the C
 language... most likely because they usually start with an old source
 file that's evolved from something they wrote longer ago than they
 can remember, and the include statements that they need most often
 are already in it.
It's sad when precompiled headers and compiler prefixes files rots the brain like that :-) Seriously, the C and C++ standard headers are pretty well defined ? #include <stdlib.h>, and friends. In Java, that loads "code" very differently from what C/C++ does, you can call upon a routine by just referencing to the full name : i.e. "std.stdio.writefln", but that does not work as easy in D (since the "import" is more than just a syntax convenience here)
 As an example, I should be able to write a "Hello world" program as
 follows...

 int main() { writef("Hello world!); return 0; }

 and have it compile and run "as is" rather than having to
 specifically import a module containing the writef function.
There are several other things in that program that could be simpler. For instance, the EXIT_SUCCESS return value (a.k.a "0") could be implied by declaring the function as "void main()" (this does not work yet in D) And you could have a "write" function that avoids learning that all % characters must be written as %%, to avoid the exceptions at runtime ? Perhaps even use the "ln" versions, to avoid learning that you escape a newline character like "\n", when escaped in a string like that. Thus: import std.stdio; void main() { writeln("Hello, World!"); }
 I've never liked C, and I like C++ even less.  As programming
 languages go, they are among my least liked, but anyone who programs
 is forced to put up with them because they are just that pervasive.
 One of the things that I dislike most about them is that they tend to
 discourage people from learning to program.  In the D programming
 language, I see the potential to capture what is good in C and C++
 while doing away with this "no newbies allowed" attitude.
Oh, I'm not sure that D would be your new best friend either, then ? I find that they do encourage people to learn, by *not* holding hands. Although with a little better documentation, it shouldn't be *that* scary for newcomers - just a bit complex as a first language to learn.
 Here's what I think a minimal "Hello world" program "should" look
 like in D...

 write("Hello world");

 Yep.. that's it.  A keyword that could be guessed in a few tries by
 someone who has never used the language, and the established D
 syntax, with an implied main function and an implied return value.
With all due respect, you might want to try another language... There are several languages, where things like that are allowed. Something with a little connection to DMD is DMDscript, for instance ? It all depends on what you are trying to do... (probably not "say hi") --anders
Apr 13 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Thanks for the response.

Yes, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The most commonly "needed"
stuff that's not "built in" so that they can be used without having to import
them explicitly.  Especially those that are already part of the Phobos runtime
library.

There would be one disadvantage that I can think of.  Imigine this example:
Someone writes a program that uses a function from std.c.stdio and later a D
specific version of that function is added to std.stdio and set as the default
for that function.  If the program was re-compiled, it would implicitly import
the function from it's new default module and if that version was not backward
compatible, it could break the program.

Of course, such a scenario would only happen if the programmer had "not"
specified to import a specific module, in which case it would have been a
broken program already the way things are right now... and fixing it would
require nothing more than to add the import line.  Also, that scenario would
only happen in cases where it was decided that replacing the old function with
a new one that may break older programs was worth the trade-off... which I
suspect would be likely to happen if the function was indeed well known and
well established.

Yes, the import is more than just a syntax convenience, but in some cases it is
actually an inconvenience.  There's no real reason a person should have to
explicitly import a module to do simple common tasks like getting keyboard
input, printing something to the screen, reading a file or directory,
multithreading an application, extracting the extension from a filename,
extracting a numeric value from a string, or generating a random number... and
there's also no need to have all those functions "built into the compiler" when
importing them works just fine.  Implicit importing should deliver the best of
both worlds.

----

Actually, "void main()" does work in D, but I hadn't thought of that until
after I had already posted my comments.  How-ever, it could still be simplified
by allowing compilation without even declaring a main function.  Is it worth
while?  I'm not sure... but I tend to think it would be.  Not because
programmers would like to be able to save typing a couple of lines of text, but
because it would help to facilitate new programmers learning the D language
more independantly.

I like that... a write function that acts differently than the writef
function... one that works perhaps more like the Print statement in most
versions of BASIC, or like the write statement in Pascal.  Walter?  Care to
comment on the possibility of something like a write and writeln statement
being added as built-in functions?

Just a side thought: I wonder if a "write" function could be made platform and
operating system independant somehow... and where it would write to in Windows
if no output device or object was specified.

Yes, I know what you mean.  Since D is derived from C and in some ways from
C++, it's to be expected that most of the people using it will be long standing
C and C++ programmers... at first.  Keep in mind though, that most of the
people who have been programming C or C++ for many years are not going to be
all that anxious to learn yet another programming language.  Those who are
already learning D are of course most likely the exception, but if D is to
thrive in the long run it will be mostly due to it's popularity with people who
are not too set in their ways with any one specific programming language when
they encounter D for the first time.  That includes those of us who have never
had a single favorite programming language as well as those who have never
programmed at all.

As for me trying another language... I was writing my own assemblers and
compilers well over 20 years ago, and I've written plenty of programs in
straight hexadecimal machine language on various processors.  Yes, I would like
it simpler for me... because it would make the experience of learning it that
much more enjoyable, but that's not the "reason" that I would like to see it
simplified.  I would like to see it simplified first because it would be better
that way and I'm all for making it better, and second because it would mean
that more people could learn the language who might not otherwise.

And yes, there are other languages where things like that are allowed... which
proves that it can be done.  There's no reason that I can see why D should have
to follow in the footsteps of C when it comes to the learning curve.  As I
stated before, I see in the D language the potential to capture what is good in
C and C++ while doing away with this "no newbies allowed" attitude that has
plagues those two languages for far too long.  Everyone who programs ANY
language was once a newbie at it, so we should give the newbies some respect
because some of them will be programming circles around us some day.

TZ

news:d3in7m$18f9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

TechnoZeus wrote:

 I like that... a write function that acts differently than the writef
 function... one that works perhaps more like the Print statement in
 most versions of BASIC, or like the write statement in Pascal.
 Walter?  Care to comment on the possibility of something like a write
 and writeln statement being added as built-in functions?
I've already written the write and writeln functions, and they're working just fine. :-) (just waiting to get added) It's actually writef without the formats. Nothing more, and nothing less (not sure what BASIC and Pascal does ?)
 As for me trying another language... I was writing my own assemblers
 and compilers well over 20 years ago, and I've written plenty of
 programs in straight hexadecimal machine language on various
 processors.  Yes, I would like it simpler for me... because it would
 make the experience of learning it that much more enjoyable, but
 that's not the "reason" that I would like to see it simplified.  I
 would like to see it simplified first because it would be better that
 way and I'm all for making it better, and second because it would
 mean that more people could learn the language who might not
 otherwise.
Sounds good, as I didn't mean to scare anyone off from using D... Nothing wrong with being new, as long as you're willing to learn. Just that if you want a simple program, to do stuff like say "hi"; then there are more productive languages than using C, C++ or D. I use Perl, others prefer Python... Ruby is a great language too. Even a simple shell script would do. But I wouldn't touch .BAT :-) --anders
Apr 13 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Yes, I agree.  For one, any interpreted language is likely to be rather
efficient for the development of very simple programs since there is no need
for the compilation step, although I have also seen language implementations
compile transparantly from the editor in the integrated development environment
so that the programmer never had to even know it was compiled unless they
wanted to distribute their program to someone who didn't have the IDE to run
the source code from.

There's always a better way.  The trick is in finding it.  :)

TZ

"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:d3j5km$1lnu$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
TechnoZeus wrote:
 Yes, I agree.  For one, any interpreted language is likely to be
 rather efficient for the development of very simple programs since
 there is no need for the compilation step, although I have also seen
 language implementations compile transparantly from the editor in the
 integrated development environment so that the programmer never had
 to even know it was compiled unless they wanted to distribute their
 program to someone who didn't have the IDE to run the source code
 from.

 There's always a better way.  The trick is in finding it.  :)
There's always dscript. (Not the same as DMDscript.) It compiles transparently, so all you do is write the code and then run it. But it does not work on windows (yet).
Apr 14 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Well, I still think D has real potential.  It's new... so give it some time.
Of course, the people standing behind it can make all the difference in the
world.

Adding the ability for the compiler to look things up in an implied import
table if they are not declared or imported explicitly wouldn't change any
existing programs, and would make it a little easier for experienced
programmers to write programs more quickly and a lot easier for newbies to
learn the D programming language.

Adding the ability to have the compiler treat a missing main function
declaration as an implication that the first line of the unenclosed code is the
program's entry point and that reaching the end of the program returns 0, might
require a little more integration between the ideas of compiling and linking,
but again wouldn't change any existing programs, and would make it easy for
someone learning the language to write very short practice programs to test
their understanding of how the parts of it work.

Adding the ability to let the compiler recognize a program as being written for
a specific environment and save the programmer the trouble of specifying such
details as how to link it would still allow overriding of that default
functionality, but would again make it easier for a beginner to learn.

Adding long filename support to the compiler and the ability to have it look in
default relative paths for files that are commonly needed to compile and link a
program wouldn't break any existing functionality, if done right, but would
make the compiler that much easier to use... especially for beginners.

Adding a graphical user interface that allows the source code to be edited, and
run with transparent compiling and linking for the operating system it's
installed on, would make D as easy to use as an interpreted language, but
without removing any of it's current advantages.  That same graphical interface
could have menu options for compiling and linking to other platforms.

I see no down side to any of this, except the following:  None of it will
happen without a lot of work going into it.

So, what it comes down to is a simple question of what's worth the effort it
would take, and what isn't.  I think the key to it is colaboration, but can
this be accomplished to a sufficient degree?

TZ

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
news:425E327E.9050403 nospam.org...
 TechnoZeus wrote:
 Yes, I agree.  For one, any interpreted language is likely to be
 rather efficient for the development of very simple programs since
 there is no need for the compilation step, although I have also seen
 language implementations compile transparantly from the editor in the
 integrated development environment so that the programmer never had
 to even know it was compiled unless they wanted to distribute their
 program to someone who didn't have the IDE to run the source code
 from.

 There's always a better way.  The trick is in finding it.  :)
There's always dscript. (Not the same as DMDscript.) It compiles transparently, so all you do is write the code and then run it. But it does not work on windows (yet).
Apr 14 2005
parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Apr 14 2005
next sibling parent reply James Dunne <jdunne4 bradley.edu> writes:
 I would like to see it simplified first because it would be better that
 way and I'm all for making it better, and second because it would
 mean that more people could learn the language who might not
 otherwise.
Not to sound arrogant or anything... but people that could learn the language better with an implied main function are just the people we don't want programming in the first place. There, someone finally said it :-P. I, for one, am tired of looking at code written by bad programmers. Dumbening (thanks Lisa Simpson) languages up is not going to help make better coders - just more bad/mediocre ones. It's almost akin to saying "lets remove all prepositions from English to make it easier for dumber kids to speak it." What does this do to the overall quality of the English language (as if it was ever that great to begin with)? The result: we're all talking like morons. I'm not harping on you personally, TZ, and I of course mean you no offense. I apologize if I did offend you. Regards, James Dunne
Apr 14 2005
next sibling parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
I hate to tell you this, but "everyone" learns better that way.

There are many differences in people's learning styles, but one thing that all
biological brains I have ever encountered have in common with all forms of
artificial intellegence I have ever looked into is that they all learn to
recognize and understand something with more accuracy in a shorter time if that
"something" is less obscured.

If you don't believe me, try teaching yourself machine language on a processor
that you've never worked with by reading hexadecimal dumps of programs.  I've
done it, and I can tell you from experience it's not easy... but more
importantly, it's impossible to be sure you've actually understood any of it
correctly until you start testing your understanding in actual programs of your
own.

Furthermore, the accuracy of any theories that you can't isolate and test
separately will permanently remain dependant on your understanding of the parts
that you couldn't isolate them from.  Therefore, if it's impossible to isolate
one part from another part, if you are wrong about one you will likely be wrong
about the other also and never even know it.  Sure, you can write "working"
code that way... but there's a big difference between successful morphology of
a working program into another working program and actual understanding of how
the programming language works.

As for your reference to English, if happens to be a disaster of a language...
but that's a whole other topic.  More to the point, there are many fluent
speakers of English who still use the word "unthaw" to mean "thaw" and "borrow"
to mean "loan" because they have never isolated those words and learned to
understand them outside of the context in which they are used to encountering
them.

The word "inflammable" used to be printed on cans for petroleum feuls such as
gasoline, but they don't do that anymore because too many people thought it
meant "won't burn" when the intended definition was "flammable" which is
confusing enough in itself since it makes one wonder what happened to the "-in"
prefix, but the confusion doesn't stop there.  "inflammable" also means "easily
inflamed" and "inflamed" can mean either set on fire or having "inflammation"
which in turn more often means "swelling" than "burning" but again, depends on
the context.

I once suggested to Microsoft that they add a choice between tiling windows
horizontally or vertically, which they promptly added... but with the ambiguous
wording of "horizontal tile" and "vertical tile" where the word "tile" could be
interpreted as either a verb or a noun, and the direction of the tiling would
be different for one interpretation than the other.  I pointed this out, and
they decided to fix it.

I suggested that they use "portrait tile" and "landscape tile" which were well
known already in many industries and non-ambiguous, but also mentioned the
option of "horizontal tiles" and "vertical tiles" which matched what was the
current functionality at that time, would be the easiest change to make, and
was unambiguous and more accurate (since nobody really tiles a single item
anyway), and of course the option of changing them to "tile horizontally" and
"tile vertically" which would specify that "tile" was being used as a verb,
since adverbs aren't used to modify nouns... but also pointed out that this
change would be the least desireable, since it would require swapping the then
current functionality and hence the existing keyboard shortcuts.

Well, they chose to go with the my "last choice" and not to swap the two, so
now we have a "Tile Windows Horizontally" option that tiles windows vertically,
and a "Tile Windows Vertically" function that tiles windows horizontally.  I
did attempt to address this issue, but I was told that they had a big meeting
in which a top executive which the employee I was speaking with felt it would
be in his interest not to actually mention by name, had decided that
"horizontally" meant top to bottom, and "vertically" meant left to right.

So, you may wonder how someone can come to such nonsensical conclusions... or
perhaps you're one of the many people who agrees with that notion.  I wouldn't
know... but I can tell you where it came from...

Back when televisions still had tubes in them that controlled various functions
and occasionally needed to be replaced, if the horizontal oscillation tube went
bad, the television would display a vertical line, because the cathode ray no
longer scanned horizontally.  Technicians called this a "horizontal collapse"
or in more common terms, simpy a horizontal problem.  They would tell customers
who reported a single white line from the top of the TV screen to the bottom,
"that's your horizontal" and for likewise would tell those who reported a
single white line from left to right "that's your vertical" usually with no
further explanation.  As a result, many people who were previously unfamilliar
with these terms, including a lot of children growing up when televisions were
new and broke down a lot, learned the meanings of "horizontal" and "vertical"
wrong because they learned them in context without the opportunity to isolate
them.

Maybe "you" don't want people who like to learn things thoroughly and
accurately to join the D programming community, but I highly doubt that you
speak for everyone in that regard.  I know you don't speak for me.

news:d3lm5v$q76$1 digitaldaemon.com...
prev sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
James Dunne wrote:
 I would like to see it simplified first because it would be better
 that way and I'm all for making it better, and second because it
 would mean that more people could learn the language who might not
 otherwise.
Not to sound arrogant or anything... but people that could learn the language better with an implied main function are just the people we don't want programming in the first place.
I actually don't like this being said out aloud. BUT, I REALLY DO AGREE HERE!
 There, someone finally said it :-P.  I, for one, am tired of looking
 at code written by bad programmers.  Dumbening (thanks Lisa Simpson)
 languages up is not going to help make better coders - just more
 bad/mediocre ones.

 It's almost akin to saying "lets remove all prepositions from English
 to make it easier for dumber kids to speak it."  What does this do to
 the overall quality of the English language (as if it was ever that
 great to begin with)?  The result:  we're all talking like morons.
That is gravely Politically non-Correct. :-) But the fact remains. A serious language is for serious work. And that gets disturbed if the, er, wrong kind of people populate our cubicles /en masse/. And hey, there is always VB for them. :-( I've talked with quite a few programming language teachers, at university level. Most of them confess, that the first few weeks they go on like madmen, in order to get the weaker students to quit early. That leaves more energy and time to spend on those who really do have a chance of learning the stuff. Sad to say. But I feel everybody gains here. Even those who got "ousted", because then they can concentrate on other classes that better suit their talent. ----- That said, of course D (or any good language) should be easy to use, and be designed to not cause unnecessary work or problems (as opposed to C++).
Apr 14 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Actually, in the C community, it's pretty much politically correct, and
generally well accepted... but it's also what killed the momentum that the
computer industry once had.  We could get that momentum back... but not if the
attitude of "only serious programming is important" is so pervasive that poeple
are discouraged from learning to "enjoy" programming.

TZ

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
news:425EDA0C.1090604 nospam.org...
 James Dunne wrote:
[...]

prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
What order of source files?  D uses modules. Unless someone specifically wants
a textual include, the order of the source files shouldn't make any
difference.... and when someone does want to use textual includes, they should
write their code accordingly.  Nothing problematic about that.  Just added
flexability when D programmers think like D programmers rather than like
they're still stuck in the C language.

Okay, you wanted an example?

version (Windows)
{
 MessageBoxA(null,"click OK to continue","message_box",MB_OK);
}

save as pausok.d and compile with
DMD pausok

In the current version, that wouldn't even compile... but it wouldn't take a
lot of changes to make it so that it would.  In fact, adding implied imports
and including "MessageBoxA" in the implied imports list would keep the
compilation from failing due to the lack of "import windows;" in the source
code, and version sensative automatic linking would cause the compiler to built
a properly linked executable by default, while still also producing an unlinked
object file.

You tested what? I'm not talking about long filenaes support in the language
here.  I'm talking about the Digital Mars D compiler itself.  Sorry it I was
ambiguous.  Try compiling a file named longfilename.d and you will get an error
to the effect of "C:\DM\TEST\LONGFI~1.D: module LONGFI~1 has non-identifier
characters in filename, use module declaration instead".

At least, that's what happens in Windows 98.  Maybe on another operating system
this is not the case.  The inability to compile at all is probably the "~"
character being used in the MS_DOS short filename that Windows is automatically
generated by the operating system for the benefit of programs that only support
<= 8 character long filenames with <= 3 character extensions.  The DMD compiler
apears to be one of those programs.  That's what I was suggesting should be
corrected.

Okay, now that's cool.  I'm guessing the dmd.conf is for something other than
Windows, since I don't seem to have one.  (Sounds like Linus to me.) but I
would have never thought to look for "sc.ini" though.  Any idea what the "sc"
stands for?  Anyway... thank you very much for that!  Do you know if there are
other settings that can be placed in that file, besides just modifying those
that are there by default?

No need for a virtual machine, unless you want to compile for a platform that
you don't have, and then run the resulting executable on a virtual machine...
but IDE stands to "integrated development environment" and is more than just an
editor.  The whole idea behind the IDE concept is that the editor and the
compiler are really two parts of one thing.  Integrating those two parts can
save developers a lot of trouble, especially if done well.  Microsoft Visual
Studio 6.0 is a great example of one that was done quite poorly.  Lots of nice
features, but the integration is loose and incomplete at best.

The D language was designed with integration in mind. That much is obvious. To
what extent integration between editor, linker, and compiler was intended to be
supportd, I could only guess. Ideally, the D programmer shouldn't have to
switch between an editor and a compiler and/or linker to build and run programs
as they are written.

In fact, it should even be "possible" to run hidden "simulated tests"
automatically at crucial times such as when the cursor moves out of a
particular enclosed scope, using the unittest function if one has been written
within the module. Such an option could be turned on or off from a menu, and
the preference saved automatically, rather than having to be specified as a
compiler switch at the command prompt.

Hmmm.  Crosscompiling.  Now, there's a thought I hadn't had.  Cool idea.  Not
what I was talking about though.  What I meant was that the user could pull
down a "compile" or "make" or "build" menu and choose what platform they want
to generate an executable for.  Yes, crosscompiling support would also be nice.
 Separate issue altogether, but still... cool thought.

A for your list of steps.. I've already done steps one and 3, and both step 2s.
Step 4 is why I decided to post the results of the other steps here.  :)

I agree with you.  Better to take action than to simply wish.  Much better.
Currently, I'm not in a position to take a more active role than I am already
taking, for several reasons, but hopefully my input here will have some
motivating force or at least be unique enough to give other people who have
been actively involved in the development of D something "different" to think
about.

As for myself, I have picked a target project to write as I learn the D
language, and I'm satisfied with my choice... at this time.

TZ

"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
news:ads1j2-5t6.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...
Apr 14 2005
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Apr 15 2005
next sibling parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
news:m5d4j2-g75.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...

  MessageBoxA(null,"click OK to continue","message_box",MB_OK);
 }

 save as pausok.d and compile with
 DMD pausok

 In the current version, that wouldn't even compile... but it wouldn't take a
 lot of changes to make it so that it would.
<snip> Anyone care to demonstrate that by patching GDC? Thomas
That would be great. I would, if I had the time, but I'm doing all I can as it is just to be involved in here at all. By the way, I found a good example at file:///F:/dmd/html/d/sdwest/page1.html <quote> int main() { printf("hello world\n"); return 0; } </quote> Notice that there is no "..." anywhere indicating snipped or missing lines. It is presented as a complete, working "Hello World" program... but it won't compile, because even though most D programmers probably already know from C what needs to be imported or included to make it work, the DMD compiler doesn't. TZ
Apr 15 2005
prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
news:m5d4j2-g75.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...
Apr 15 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Hahaha.  Oops.... that's the address of the local copy that I made so I could
read it off line.  Phone modem connection here.

Okay, here's the "correct" address...

http://digitalmars.com/d/sdwest/page1.html

Sorry about that.

TZ

"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
news:uvk4j2-gtl.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...
Apr 15 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
TechnoZeus wrote:

 By the way, I found a good example at file:///F:/dmd/html/d/sdwest/page1.html
You mean the page at http://www.digitalmars.com/d/sdwest/index.html
 <quote>

 int main()
 {
   printf("hello world\n");
   return 0;
 }

 </quote>

 Notice that there is no "..." anywhere indicating snipped or missing lines.
 It is presented as a complete, working "Hello World" program...
It does compile alright? Unfortunately. I don't think it's very good... A better introduction would be: import std.c.stdio; import std.c.stdlib; int main() { printf("Hello, World!\n"); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } Or, perhaps more modern: import std.stdio; void main() { writeln("Hello, World!"); } Second program assuming that "void main" and "writeln" gets fixed/added. --anders
Apr 15 2005