digitalmars.D - opValue()

reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
Walter (and anyone else),

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!! (Sorry about that. I'm getting a little frustrated
at the hoops D is putting me through).

Here's an idea to kick around...

In the construct

    a = <expression>;

when 'a' is an aggregate, it is equivalent to coding

    a.opValue(<expression>);

This would make my coding life *so* much easier. It is one way of providing
a natural coding style for implicit conversion of classes and structs.

Here is some sample code to explain what I'd like ...
<code>
import std.stdio;
class A
{
    private int aa;
    this() { aa = 2; }
    A opValue(B y)
    {
        aa = y.bb + 1; // 'convert' a B to an A
        return this;
class B
{
    private int bb;
    this() { bb = 4; }
    B opValue(A y)
    {
        bb = y.aa - 10;  // 'convert' an A to a B
        return this;

void main()
{
    A a = new A;
    B b = new B;

    writefln("Before %d %d", a.aa, b.bb);

    a.opValue(b); // aka: a = b;
    b.opValue(a); // aka: b = a;

    writefln("After  %d %d", a.aa, b.bb);
}
</code>

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:9wvklcksh1nr.n1xvda56jdpe$.dlg 40tude.net...
 Walter (and anyone else),

 AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!! (Sorry about that. I'm getting a little frustrated
 at the hoops D is putting me through).
no problem.

I'm confused. By aggregate I assume you mean either a struct or class type. But with a class a.opValue will seg-v if a is null so how does one initialize a? See http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/23623.html for a thread including a message from Walter explaining why D doens't allow assignment to be overloaded. More context about what you are actually trying to do would help, too.
[...]

What's wrong with writing a.opValue(b) or a.copyFrom(b) or something? Why is "=" needed? Are you using templates?
Apr 05 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
 news:9wvklcksh1nr.n1xvda56jdpe$.dlg 40tude.net...
 Here's an idea to kick around...

 In the construct

    a = <expression>;

 when 'a' is an aggregate, it is equivalent to coding

    a.opValue(<expression>);

 This would make my coding life *so* much easier. It is one way of
 providing
 a natural coding style for implicit conversion of classes and structs.
I'm confused. By aggregate I assume you mean either a struct or class type.
Yep.
 But with a class a.opValue will seg-v if a is null so how does one
 initialize a?
Huh? Did I mention initializing? See example code below. Classes would still be initialized as normal, with the 'new' keyword. I'm talking about assigning value to a (existing) class/struct based on the value of an expression. Nothing to do with constructors, etc...
 See http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/23623.html for a
 thread including a message from Walter explaining why D doens't allow
 assignment to be overloaded.
Yes, I remember this discussion. It was mainly dealing with constructors for structs and deep vs shallow copying. The primary reason (I think) for Walter not liking that, is what happens when assigning class instances between related classes. Eg... class C {} class B:C {} class A:B {} C c; A a; c = a; // This is legal and useful.
 More context about what you are actually trying to do would help, too.
See code below ;-) My emphasis is on making life easier for coders and readers. So sure there is a 'work around', namely explicitly calling opValue(), but I argue that doing so is not as intuitive as the commonly used '=' symbol. So here is a more fuller description of what I think would make coding in D a more pleasant experience. __________________________ In the construct a = <expression>; when 'a' is an aggregate *and* it contains the member function 'opValue', it is equivalent to coding a.opValue(<expression>); otherwise the construct behaves as with the current semantics. __________________________ The idea, is to have a nice way in which a class designer can invent built-in conversion routines for explicit data types, and have people use those conversion routines in a standard, clean and intuitive manner.
[...]

To make writing and reading coding a more pleasant experience. Imaging being able to doing something like this ... Circle c; Square s; Triangle t; . . . c = s; // Convert the square to a circle. t = c; // Convert the circle to a triangle. . . . In my current project, I need to convert between various classes and structs, and currently it involves lots of white-noise coding. A cleaner, clearer, method of coding this would be appreciated.
 Are you using templates?
Yes, and that too. That fact that you must use different syntax depending on whether you are using a class, a struct, an array or an intrinsic data type is a real PITA. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia http://www.dsource.org/projects/build/ v1.19 released 04/Apr/2005 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage 6/04/2005 12:54:43 PM
Apr 05 2005
next sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
 But with a class a.opValue will seg-v if a is null so how does one
 initialize a?
Huh? Did I mention initializing? See example code below. Classes would still be initialized as normal, with the 'new' keyword. I'm talking about assigning value to a (existing) class/struct based on the value of an expression. Nothing to do with constructors, etc...
I think what Ben was trying to say here is that: (assume A is a class) A a = new A(); *is* assigning a value to 'a' so would call "opValue(A a)" in A, if it existed. Regan.
Apr 05 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opsosivfu423k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz...
 But with a class a.opValue will seg-v if a is null so how does one
 initialize a?
Huh? Did I mention initializing? See example code below. Classes would still be initialized as normal, with the 'new' keyword. I'm talking about assigning value to a (existing) class/struct based on the value of an expression. Nothing to do with constructors, etc...
I think what Ben was trying to say here is that: (assume A is a class) A a = new A(); *is* assigning a value to 'a' so would call "opValue(A a)" in A, if it existed. Regan.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. To put it another way, the code A a; will initialize a to null and so when you try to run a = b; it will try to run a.opValue(b) which will seg-v. This is slightly different than A a = new A; but basically I'm wondering how a.opValue works when a is null or during initialization.
[...]
In my way of thinking, when a class is initialized it calls the constructor routine 'this' and so it wouldn't attempt calling opValue. Also, if the class instance is not initialized (ie still null), then opValue couldn't be called. Why are you guys thinking that I'm talking about initialization? I'm just trying to invent a nice way to implement customized data conversions. That is, converting data from an evaluated expression to an instance of a class/struct. class C { C opValue(int x) { . . . return this; } } . . . C myC = new C; . . . myC = 42; // i.e. myC.opValue(42); -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 6/04/2005 2:03:28 PM
Apr 05 2005
next sibling parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
[...]
Because as a general rule what you're suggesting appeared to me to effect initialization (after I read Bens response). So, I wanted clarification as to how you thought it would work with initialization, which you've just given above. Some comments:
 In my way of thinking, when a class is initialized it calls the
 constructor
 routine 'this' and so it wouldn't attempt calling opValue.
My take on this, from my other post: <quote> Well I'm no expert on how this works, but I imagine... A a = new A(); RHS: "new A()" means allocate some memory on the heap, and calls "this" for A in it. <at this stage we have an A class in heap memory assigned to nothing) LHS: "A a" <at this stage we have a null reference to an A on the stack called 'a'> "=" means assign RHS to LHS. <the A in memory is assigned to the 'a' on the stack> </quote>
 Also, if the
 class instance is not initialized (ie still null), then opValue couldn't
 be
 called.
Correct, so what happens? Isn't this like saying: if (a == b) when a is a null reference? which casues a seg-v. Regan
Apr 05 2005
prev sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]
We might actually need an opValue_r() routine too. void opValue_r(inout int x) { . . . x = ... ; } . . . int y; y = myC; // i.e. myC.opValue_r(y); And if you are concerned by opValue_r not returning anything, (damn C's heritage) you can still do " while ( (y = myC, y) > 0) ... " :D [offtopic: Q. How much of B and BPCL did Richie & Kernighan jettison? A. Enough. Q. How much of C and C++ did Walters jettison? A. Not enough (yet?) ] -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 6/04/2005 2:12:00 PM
Apr 05 2005
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 But with a class a.opValue will seg-v if a is null so how does one
 initialize a?
Huh? Did I mention initializing? See example code below. Classes would still be initialized as normal, with the 'new' keyword. I'm talking about assigning value to a (existing) class/struct based on the value of an expression. Nothing to do with constructors, etc...
I think what Ben was trying to say here is that: (assume A is a class) A a = new A(); *is* assigning a value to 'a' so would call "opValue(A a)" in A, if it existed.
Why? Doesn't the 'new' keyword mean 'call the this() member function'? -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 6/04/2005 1:25:31 PM
Apr 05 2005
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
 On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:57:00 +1000, Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward>
 But with a class a.opValue will seg-v if a is null so how does one
 initialize a?
Huh? Did I mention initializing? See example code below. Classes would still be initialized as normal, with the 'new' keyword. I'm talking about assigning value to a (existing) class/struct based on the value of an expression. Nothing to do with constructors, etc...
I think what Ben was trying to say here is that: (assume A is a class) A a = new A(); *is* assigning a value to 'a' so would call "opValue(A a)" in A, if it existed.
Why? Doesn't the 'new' keyword mean 'call the this() member function'?
Well I'm no expert on how this works, but I imagine... A a = new A(); RHS: "new A()" means allocate some memory on the heap, and calls "this" for A in it. <at this stage we have an A class in heap memory assigned to nothing) LHS: "A a" <at this stage we have a null reference to an A on the stack called 'a'> "=" means assign RHS to LHS. <the A in memory is assigned to the 'a' on the stack> Ben's other question is perhaps more important. A a; a = b; <- a is null, this calls a.opValue(b). Does that seg-v or.. ? Regan
[...]

seg-v, of course. This is normal behaviour and need not change. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia http://www.dsource.org/projects/build/ v1.19 released 04/Apr/2005 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage 6/04/2005 2:31:47 PM
Apr 05 2005
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
 Well I'm no expert on how this works, but I imagine...

 A a = new A();

 RHS: "new A()" means allocate some memory on the heap, and calls "this"
 for A in it.
 <at this stage we have an A class in heap memory assigned to nothing)
Yep.
 LHS: "A a"
 <at this stage we have a null reference to an A on the stack called 'a'>
Yep.
 "=" means assign RHS to LHS.
 <the A in memory is assigned to the 'a' on the stack>
Sort of. The "= new" means that 'a' is updated to point to the new A on the heap.
That's what I said above only I broke it into the 3 steps it takes. This last step simply assigns the reference created by "new A()" to the reference created on the stack by "A a". In other words this last step is identical to the step performed by "=" in "a = b", the only difference here is that "b" is another stack reference and not a "new" one.
 I just saying that "a = new <CLASS>" creates a new instance (just like it
 does now), and "a = <expression>" calls a.opValue(<expression>) if 'a' is
 already instantiated *and* opValue(typeid(<expression>)) exists as a
 member function of a.
But... "a = new <CLASS>" is technically "a = <expression>" as "new" is an expression: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/expression.html#NewExpression So "a = new A()" could call "a.opValue(new A())" So you see why Ben and I have been asking about it? Regan
Apr 05 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 But... "a = new <CLASS>" is technically "a = <expression>" as "new" is an
 expression:
    http://www.digitalmars.com/d/expression.html#NewExpression

 So "a = new A()" could call "a.opValue(new A())"

 So you see why Ben and I have been asking about it?
Yes. It seems that I've (once again) been unable to express myself clearly though. Essentially I'm talking about a change in D's behaviour. I can see that the way D *currently* interprets the syntax, it would not achieve what I'd like to see happen. So, I talk of change. This proposed change to D would not break existing code either, because any code like this is already broken (one gets the 'cannot implicitly cast' message). I'm proposing that instead of automatically getting that message, D checks to see if it can call the appropriate opValue() member function. If it can't then if falls back to the 'implicit cast' error. This means that in my envisioned D, (i.e. not the current one), then syntax in the form ... <CLASS> <IDENT> = new <CLASS> [ ARGLIST ]; be interpreted as *just* an instantiation of the class, and thus this form of 'assignment' would not check for opValue() members. Is that really too much to ask for? Is is really stupid of me to ask for a standard mechanism to enable coders to provide (implicit) casting methods that convert an expression into a form suitable to update a class or struct instance ( or any type would be nice too)? I was hoping to avoid a new operator as those seem harder to implement and usually meet more resistance for a syntax faux pas. So I thought that hijacking something that is currently an error construct, and turning it into something that we could use instead, would be a 'Good Thing'. <AGGREGATEINSTANCE> = <NON_NEW_EXPRESSION> would be interpreted as <AGGREGATEINSTANCE>.opValue( <NON_NEW_EXPRESSION> ) if has a member function opValue( TypeOf (<NON_NEW_EXPRESSION>) ) defined. If this criteria was not present, then the current semantics would apply. Of course, if the instance was null at the time of calling, then the usual run time error would apply. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia http://www.dsource.org/projects/build/ v1.19 released 04/Apr/2005 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage 6/04/2005 5:02:41 PM
Apr 06 2005
next sibling parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes: