digitalmars.D - Why moving on D?

reply Rox271 <rox271 yahoo.com> writes:
D looks like an interesting language and I'm interested in moving on D.
But... let's be real. I mean the competition with .NET is incredible and
with the pressure we get to produce lines of code, an excellent IDE with
integrated debugging is a must. Just because of that, there is little
chance I move on D before I retire and (unfortunately) this won't be
tomorrow.
DIDE was the most promissing IDE project but for some reason it retired.
What serious alternative do we have?
Mar 03 2005
parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
"Rox271" <rox271 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d084fd$2i6l$1 digitaldaemon.com...
D looks like an interesting language and I'm interested in moving on D.
 But... let's be real. I mean the competition with .NET is incredible and
 with the pressure we get to produce lines of code, an excellent IDE with
 integrated debugging is a must. Just because of that, there is little
 chance I move on D before I retire and (unfortunately) this won't be
 tomorrow.
 DIDE was the most promissing IDE project but for some reason it retired.
 What serious alternative do we have?
Add-ons to existng IDE's, such as http://www.dsource.org/projects/dcoder/ (For Visual Studio .NET) http://reverie.xrea.jp/wiki/VSpluginD.html (Also for Visual Studio .NET) http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/xcode/ (For XCode) And I'm sure there will be an addin for Eclipse at some point as well, if there isn't already. Personally, I think solid support from exiting IDE's (through either add-ins or enhancements to the IDE's core) is a much better solution than just building an entirely new IDE from scratch. The current IDE addins for D still need some work, but IDE addins in general are fairly simple/easy projects, especially compared to building an entire IDE. So I think decent ones could emerge fairly quickly.
Mar 03 2005
parent reply Rox271 <rox271 yahoo.com> writes:
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for this information. Actually I already tried some of these solutions and was not convinced. Do you think any of these solutions actually compete with the native C++ support of VisualStudion.NET? My concern is also that by now D is no more a brand new project and there is still no solution emerging.
Mar 04 2005
parent Mike Parker <aldacron71 yahoo.com> writes:
Rox271 wrote:

 support of VisualStudion.NET? My concern is also that by now D is no
 more a brand new project and there is still no solution emerging.
You can hardly expect major tools for D to be developed until after 1.0 is released. Tools that have been created to date have been developed by individuals in the D community, the active segment of which is still quite small. Solid tools exist for Java and C++ because those languages have been in widespread use for years. As the D community grows, the demand for a D IDE will grow and someone (or some company) will step in to meet it. Granted, a quality IDE is a big plus, but the lack of one now is nothing to be concerned about.
Mar 04 2005