digitalmars.D - Learning D from Scratch

reply IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
Being new to D and programming in general I wanted to ask some hardened
vetrans for some suggestions on how to go about learning D.

I have a few books on C++
I have a very great many books on PHP
I have a good amount on Java

I know PHP the best though i'm still mucking around my first *real*
(meaning useful and of my own design) application.

I have done some simple console applications in Java.

I have not scratched the suface of my C++ books yet.

I'm am reading a D tutorial at:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/StartingWithD

Right now.

Anyone have a link to a some good tutorials?
Anyone have any advice for learning programming in general?
Anyone know of some real or E-books on D?
Feb 22 2005
next sibling parent IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
P.S. I have scoured the digital mars site for tutorials and such already
and me looking through those to see which have merit.

IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns9605D86DADB8FikeathesofaAThotmail 63.105.9.61:

 Anyone have a link to a some good tutorials?
 Anyone have any advice for learning programming in general?
 Anyone know of some real or E-books on D?

Feb 22 2005
prev sibling parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
There's always the perpetually-in-progress tutorials over at DSource.
http://dsource.org/tutorials/

And feel free to post new tutorials based on your experiences of what
needs to be represented for beginners.  :)

-- Chris S
Feb 22 2005
parent reply Kris <Kris_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cvh3vj$2ndj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Chris Sauls says...
There's always the perpetually-in-progress tutorials over at DSource.
http://dsource.org/tutorials/

And feel free to post new tutorials based on your experiences of what
needs to be represented for beginners.  :)

-- Chris S
Good suggestion! Once you've gone through the curve, it's easy to forget.
"Kris" <Kris_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cvh4pf$2p7b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Good suggestion! Once you've gone through the curve, it's easy to forget.
I always think that one should start with assembler :-)
Feb 24 2005
next sibling parent Paul Bonser <misterpib gmail.com> writes:
Walter wrote:
 "Kris" <Kris_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:cvh4pf$2p7b$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Good suggestion! Once you've gone through the curve, it's easy to forget.
I always think that one should start with assembler :-)
Programming in QBasic without using functions is sort of like assembler...All that jumping (GOTOing) around. Assembler was like my 3rd language, right after QBasic, and C++. Unless you count programming objects in ZZT...then assembler was my 4th. Man, I'm on the ball with being off the topic today... -- -PIB -- "C++ also supports the notion of *friends*: cooperative classes that are permitted to see each other's private parts." - Grady Booch
Feb 25 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
Walter wrote:
 "Kris" <Kris_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:cvh4pf$2p7b$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Good suggestion! Once you've gone through the curve, it's easy to forget.
I always think that one should start with assembler :-)
And I tend to think that people should start with the FAP assembler. I know better, though. One *could* make an argument for starting with the MIX assembler, as there are lots of MIX programs out there (assemblers? interpreters? compilers?), and you can generally always find one for your computer. This lets you combine a rich development environment with a simple understandable language that's quite similar to what's actually being done at the deep level. But it's also a real PITA to get anything significant done in. (Just imagine TRYING to do a "Hello, World!" program in MIX. Now imagine trying to do one of the GUI versions. But for some people, MIX would be the ideal starting point.
Feb 25 2005
prev sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Walter wrote:

Good suggestion! Once you've gone through the curve, it's easy to forget.
I always think that one should start with assembler :-)
Or a portable assembler, like C ? ;-) Seriously, if you *do* want to learn X86 assembler (which I wouldn't recommend as a first or even second language), then a very nice book on the topic is "The Art of Assembly Language": http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/ It's still on my own reading list, though, since I'm brought up on the 680X0 and PowerPC chips... But I'm taking it as a foreign language course, so I can speak with the rest of you :-) --anders PS. I posted my own rookie language suggestions earlier: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/15689
Feb 25 2005