digitalmars.D - Editor wanted?

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
There's so much happening with everyone using D, I've lost track of it.
Hence, the news (www.digitalmars.com/d/dnews.html) and links
(www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html) have fallen into disrepair, and are
formatted ugly anyway.

Is anyone willing to take these on as an (unpaid) editor? The idea with
dnews is to digest the stuff on the n.g. to highlight the most interesting
new developments, a digest of what's happening. dlinks is meant as a
collection of links to everyone who's put up a web page for their D project.
dlinks could certainly be better organized, with better blurbs about each
link, and it's certainly missing a lot of links.

Getting both of these in shape would be a big boost to the D community
effort. It helps give visibility to those who are working on D projects, and
drives traffic to their sites.

I do have one request - write them in vanilla html using an ordinary text
editor, not one of those wretched, bloated wysiwyg html editors.
Jan 30 2005
next sibling parent reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
"Walter" wrote:

[...]
 Is anyone willing to take these on as an (unpaid) editor?
[...] I volunteer for co-editing.
 write them in vanilla html
using vim ... promised. -manfred
"Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ctiue8$3nt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter" wrote:

 [...]
 Is anyone willing to take these on as an (unpaid) editor?
[...] I volunteer for co-editing.
 write them in vanilla html
using vim ... promised.
Ok, let's do it!
Jan 30 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 I do have one request - write them in vanilla html using an ordinary text
 editor, not one of those wretched, bloated wysiwyg html editors.
:) I can provide my http://blocknote.net to editors. It generates clean HTML. :) At least it could be used together with VIM. Edit textual and table portions in WYSIWYG and assemble final doc in VIM using: Ctrl+L - it will copy current selection as HTML source in clipboard. ( http://blocknote.net/shortcuts.htm ) Tables (if they needed) are way better to create in BlockNote as it has http://blocknote.net/info/rulersexplained.htm . I am doing my own site in BlockNote. Explantion of how is on the front page (Page on the server http://terrainformatica.com/news/0001.htm wrapped dynamicly into http://www.terrainformatica.com/ on request, PHP) Let me know if this is interesting for Project D, I'll provide details, source code, etc. Andrew Fedoniouk. http://terrainformatica.com
Jan 30 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Rex Couture <Rex_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ctic97$2022$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
..
I do have one request - write them in vanilla html using an ordinary text
editor, not one of those wretched, bloated wysiwyg html editors.
Indeed. I suggest verifying all code here: http://validator.w3.org/ . That should ensure multi-platform adherence to standards.
Jan 31 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Rex Couture wrote:

I do have one request - write them in vanilla html using an ordinary text
editor, not one of those wretched, bloated wysiwyg html editors.
Indeed. I suggest verifying all code here: http://validator.w3.org/. That should ensure multi-platform adherence to standards.
One way to clean up the current markup is to use the "Tidy" tool. http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ I used this tidy.cfg:
 tidy-mark: no
 keep-time: yes
 indent: yes

 force-output: yes
 output-xhtml: yes
 clean: yes

 output-encoding: utf8
 output-bom: no
 newline: CRLF
And then added this to <head>: <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> And that made most of the HTML files, that came with D, validate ? --anders
Jan 31 2005
prev sibling parent reply Rex Couture <Rex_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ctme0g$1uq9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Rex Couture says...
In article <ctic97$2022$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
..
I do have one request - write them in vanilla html using an ordinary text
editor, not one of those wretched, bloated wysiwyg html editors.
Indeed. I suggest verifying all code here: http://validator.w3.org/ . That should ensure multi-platform adherence to standards.
I don't know why I didn't do it before, but I tried validating this site. There are a couple of minor errors, like not specifying the character set. There may be other errors, but code validators are sort of like compilers. Once they choke on the first bug, they don't give you much help after that.
Feb 01 2005
parent zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Rex Couture wrote:
 In article <ctme0g$1uq9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Rex Couture says...

 There may be other errors, but code validators are sort of like compilers.
Once
 they choke on the first bug, they don't give you much help after that.

As far as I see, DMD compiler's error recovery is quite decent.
Feb 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Ben Hinkle <Ben_member pathlink.com> writes:
[...]

Any progress on this? It would be nice to see.
Feb 20 2005
prev sibling parent Joshua Cearley <jtech ezoob.com> writes:
Walter wrote:

 Is anyone willing to take these on as an (unpaid) editor?
Sure, if the offer is still valid. If you're interested and the offers valid.. send me an email (jtech AT ezoob DOT com) along with any other requests.
 I do have one request - write them in vanilla html using an ordinary text
 editor, not one of those wretched, bloated wysiwyg html editors.
LOL--I know what you mean. I am working on a site in Ruby on Rails that the guy used dreamweaver for the layout. I had to rewrite the html because it was not scalable (adding news to the front page destroyed the layout) -Joshua Cearley BlackCrystal Software "Making dreams reality"
Feb 21 2005