digitalmars.D - Why is C++ so hard to parse?

reply Pete <Pete_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi,

I don't know much about parsing programming language. But I want to know what
makes C++ hard to parse and does D these things right?
Jan 26 2005
next sibling parent reply Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
Pete, IMHO C++ is not harder to parse than any other modern language,
including D.

Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org

Jan 26 2005
next sibling parent reply Pete <Pete_member pathlink.com> writes:
Pete, IMHO C++ is not harder to parse than any other modern language,
including D.
A large C++ project here takes mor then three minutes for a complete I did only some _very_ small D programs (if you want to call them programs), so I don't know how fast D will compile.
Jan 26 2005
parent Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
"Parsing process" != "Compilation (build process)"

Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org

Jan 26 2005
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Dejan Lekic" <leka entropy.tmok.com> wrote in message
news:ct839i$1iqj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Pete, IMHO C++ is not harder to parse than any other modern language,
 including D.
I've written a parser for both C++ and D. C++ is a lot harder. In fact, C++ is probably the most difficult computer language to parse. D is one of the easier ones.
Jan 26 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Pete wrote:
 Hi,

 I don't know much about parsing programming language. But I want to know what
 makes C++ hard to parse
Basically, the places where C++ grammar isn't context-free: - cast expressions - template syntax - preprocessor macros to twist the syntactical structure - probably other things.... This means that before C++ can parse something, it must know what the identifiers in it refer to. Consequently, to write a properly-working C++ parser, you almost have to go the whole hog and write a compiler. Consequently, writing code manipulation tools (syntax-directed editors, beautifiers, linters, whatever) becomes tricky. Moreover, parsing engines/parser generators such as yacc expect a context-free grammar. Maybe it's possible using lex/yacc to manipulate the lexer as part of the parsing process, but it must be quite hard to do.
 and does D these things right?
Yes, modulo a few bugs and one legacy waiting to be thrown out. The benefits of context-free grammar don't end there. For example, I think the ability to pre-parse is one thing enabling D to gradually eliminate forward declarations. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jan 26 2005
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
<snip>
 The benefits of context-free grammar don't end there.  For example, I
 think the ability to pre-parse is one thing enabling D to gradually
 eliminate forward declarations.
JTAI, there is at least one bit of C++ that supports forward referencing. Not to mention Java, which has some of the non-context-free grammar from C++. But still, no doubt context-free grammar considerably simplifies the process of supporting forward referencing.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Jan 26 2005
parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:11:05 +0000, Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com>
I hadn't seen this one before, and googling for it didn't help initially :) http://www.google.com/search?q=JTAI&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 - "Jewish Teen Arts Institue" I now know it means - "Just Thinking About It" Regan
Jan 26 2005