digitalmars.D - to Mr. Matthew

reply Poor Novice <Poor_member pathlink.com> writes:
Goodday Mr.Matthew !
Will you be the frontrunner in  arousing the ambition and the kindness to make D
and ruby inter-operable ?
please take a look here
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/ (the 'extending ruby' link)

Obliged,
the Novice fellow.
Dec 27 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
It is something I'd *very much like to do*, but I have so much on my
plate at the moment, and so many (non-commercial) deadlines are
slipping - the commercial one's have been taking precedence of late,
naturally - that D-Ruby is not something I'd be able to look at until
later next year.

ftr, I'm quite familiar with Ruby extensions - having written them for
Open-RJ and recls. To do them for D we'd need to either (i) translate
the Ruby extension headers into D, or (ii) write a mapping layer, such
that a Ruby class written in D would plug into the Ruby infrastructure
(in the context of C compilation with the extant (and changing!) Ruby
headers) via a C-call API.

FYI: the link you give is the Prag Prog's book on Ruby, which I am
fortunate to have in hard copy. They write good books. ;)

"Poor Novice" <Poor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cqos6t$14vh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Goodday Mr.Matthew !
 Will you be the frontrunner in  arousing the ambition and the kindness
 to make D
 and ruby inter-operable ?
 please take a look here
 http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/ (the 'extending ruby'
 link)

 Obliged,
 the Novice fellow.
Dec 27 2004
parent poor Novice <poor_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cqqdff$2skc$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
It is something I'd *very much like to do*, but I have so much on my
plate at the moment, and so many (non-commercial) deadlines are
slipping - the commercial one's have been taking precedence of late,
naturally - that D-Ruby is not something I'd be able to look at until
later next year.

ftr, I'm quite familiar with Ruby extensions - having written them for
Open-RJ and recls. To do them for D we'd need to either (i) translate
the Ruby extension headers into D, or (ii) write a mapping layer, such
that a Ruby class written in D would plug into the Ruby infrastructure
(in the context of C compilation with the extant (and changing!) Ruby
headers) via a C-call API.

FYI: the link you give is the Prag Prog's book on Ruby, which I am
fortunate to have in hard copy. They write good books. ;)
Goodday Matthew! Obliged to you for your concern and regard. Best wishes , a prosperous new year to you, Novice fellow.
"Poor Novice" <Poor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cqos6t$14vh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Goodday Mr.Matthew !
 Will you be the frontrunner in  arousing the ambition and the kindness
 to make D
 and ruby inter-operable ?
 please take a look here
 http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/ (the 'extending ruby'