digitalmars.D - D standart database API?

reply Juanjo =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C1lvarez?= writes:
Hi.

I don't know if this discussion has been brought before. I think it
would be good to D programmers to have a standart database API, just
like Python has DBAPI 2.0:

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0249.html

This helps a lot when you're working with diferent DB backends, for
example, I'm now in a project were we're migrating a client-server
system with a MS SQL server on the server to a linux based server with a
Firebird SQL server DB. Since the project is already in production use
we're doing it gradually and we've ported the clients first to work
under linux against the Windows SQL Server. Once we've completed the
server migration the only change we'll have to do is to change our
"dbconnect" function and the import to use the Firebird SQL module. Not
a single change in the other (client) code will be needed because the
connection, cursor and other objects follow exactly the same API.

Also (a little offtopic) the Python "PEP" system would be a good thing
to adopt for D (the Phobos/Ares people deciding what "PEP"'s got
adopted into the library and Walter which ones into the core language.)
Dec 17 2004
next sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cput07$2cl9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Juanjo =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C1lvarez?=
says...
Hi.

I don't know if this discussion has been brought before. I think it
would be good to D programmers to have a standart database API
As most of you know english is not my first language but I figured out what 'standart' means. It might not be totaly correct but means something like "in a distante future". meanwhile dool defines a database API. for now I implemented the interface for PostgreSQL and SQLite3. I'm not sure it's a reasonable API - I didn't even bother to look at others - but it's familiar to me from other interfaces I used, and serves the SQL definitions well. if a standart comes up I would probably change the dool database API. Ant PS to have access to the PostgreSQL and SQLite3 you have to recompile dool with version sqlite3 and/or dpq (libdp is the PostgreSQL interface). nothing of this is tested on window and works perfectly on linux. http://dool.sourceforge.net
Dec 17 2004
next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cpuv8p$2f04$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
meanwhile dool defines a database API.
 to have access to the PostgreSQL and SQLite3 you have to
recompile dool with version sqlite3 and/or dpq
(libdp is the PostgreSQL interface).
nothing of this is tested on window and works perfectly on linux.
http://dool.sourceforge.net
here: http://dool.sourceforge.net/dool_sql_Connection_Connection.html http://dool.sourceforge.net/dool_sql_Statement_Statement.html http://dool.sourceforge.net/dool_sql_ResultSet_ResultSet.html http://dool.sourceforge.net/dool_sql_DBMetaTuple_DBMetaTuple.html http://dool.sourceforge.net/dool_sql_DBTuple_DBTuple.html that's it, as simple as that. Ant
Dec 17 2004
prev sibling parent H.Sakurai <H.Sakurai_member pathlink.com> writes:
There is also MySQL.

the MySQL Driver for the programming language D.
http://www.steinmole.de/d/

-Hiroshi Sakurai
Dec 17 2004
I agree completely , we defeintly need a uniform interface to all databases . Hopefully ARES can address this. Charlie "Juanjo Álvarez" <juanjo nospamplease_juanjoalvarez.net> wrote in message news:cput07$2cl9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
I don't think this is quite like what you guys are talking about, but
there is some code for ODBC at dsource.

http://www.dsource.org/projects/sdbo/

I looked around a bit, and there's some stuff there.  Maybe someone
would want to look deeper.

But again, this isn't like what could be done in Ares - something like
JDBC for Java, instead of ODBC.

BA