digitalmars.D - Threading in D?

reply mclysenk <mclysenk_member pathlink.com> writes:
What sort of synchronization mechanisms does D provide for multiple threads?  Is
there any standard implementation of structures like locks / memory barriers?
Java has the methods wait() and notify() built in each object, and C/C++ has
many libraries which can get the job done.  What is there in D/Phobos?
Dec 03 2004
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"mclysenk" <mclysenk_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cordtd$fbo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What sort of synchronization mechanisms does D provide for multiple
 threads?  Is
 there any standard implementation of structures like locks / memory
 barriers?
 Java has the methods wait() and notify() built in each object, and C/C++
 has
 many libraries which can get the job done.  What is there in D/Phobos?
The D language has basic critical section support using the "synchronized" statement or attribute. It doesn't have wait/notify or other types of locks. The "volatile" statement is for memory barriers. A port of the Java 1.5 concurrency classes is available at http://home.comcast.net/~benhinkle/mintl/locks.html It has a reentrant lock with condition variables, countdown, cyclic-barrier, exchanger, semaphore and a read-write lock. -Ben
Dec 04 2004
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <cot4e8$2s7u$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
[...]
Note that "synchronized" just indicates that the compiler should not optimize past those barriers. AFAIK there are currently no hardware-level barrier instructions in place, so lockless synchronization methods make a handy supplement. Sean
Dec 04 2004
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
 Note that "synchronized" just indicates that the compiler should not
 optimize
I think you meant "volatile" instead of "synchronized", yes?
 past those barriers.  AFAIK there are currently no hardware-level barrier
 instructions in place, so lockless synchronization methods make a handy
 supplement.

 Sean

Dec 04 2004
parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <cotr0v$m1l$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
 Note that "synchronized" just indicates that the compiler should not
 optimize
I think you meant "volatile" instead of "synchronized", yes?
Oops. Yes I did. That's what I get for posting before having my morning coffee. Sean
Dec 05 2004