digitalmars.D - OOP

reply imr1984 <imr1984_member pathlink.com> writes:
is anyone else here using D in a C stlye way, ie billions of globals, almost no
classes etc?

D just appeals to me because of its much cleaner syntax and no header files, not
because of its great OOP capabilities. I especially dont like member protection
because im a bedroom coder so i work on my own, so protecting member variables
doesnt really appeal to me.
May 17 2004
next sibling parent reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8ac4b$2kt4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, imr1984 says...
is anyone else here using D in a C stlye way, ie billions of globals, almost no
classes etc?

D just appeals to me because of its much cleaner syntax and no header files, not
because of its great OOP capabilities. I especially dont like member protection
because im a bedroom coder so i work on my own, so protecting member variables
doesnt really appeal to me.
is anyone else here using D in a C stlye way, ie billions of globals, almost no
classes etc?
Probably, Ive seen functional style D , and while I like OO, sometimes it fits better to have free functions . In fact Id much prefer if the Phobos was all a set of free functions , with an optional OO wrappers to all of it. Right now its all mixed in all flibbily bibbily stlye , no consistency to speak of.
I especially dont like member protection
because im a bedroom coder so i work on my own, so protecting member variables
doesnt really appeal to me.
I never liked this either, if the getters and setters do nothing more then just that ( i.e. they might check a value for a condition etc ) , then why not just make the data public ? Even this month I read an article in favor of getters and setters in CUJ, I like python style much better. Charlie
May 17 2004
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c8aq9o$94k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I never liked this either, if the getters and setters do nothing more then
just
 that ( i.e. they might check a value for a condition etc ) , then why not
just
 make the data public ?
I agree. The common get/set for a simple member variable just looks like clutter to me.
May 17 2004
parent reply Derek <ddparnell bigpond.com> writes:
 "Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:c8aq9o$94k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I never liked this either, if the getters and setters do nothing more then
just
 that ( i.e. they might check a value for a condition etc ) , then why not
just
 make the data public ?
I agree. The common get/set for a simple member variable just looks like clutter to me.
Having public data elements tightly binds modules together. That is to say, if a class's data elements are public it allows code using that class to be dependant on it, thus making it hard to modify the class without breaking already written code. J. Anderson has mentioned that fortunately, D can help resolve this by using its property technique. Basically, if a public data element needs to be changed in some way by the class author, they can rename the public data element and make it private and create a property with the old name and datatype argument. Then the class author can handle the case where existing code is using the old data form. Example: from... class Foo { public float XX; . . . } to ... class Foo { private int _XX; public XX(float x) { if (x >= 0) _XX = cast(int)x; else _XX = 0; } public float XX(){ return cast(float)_XX;} . . . } -- Derek Melbourne, Australia
May 17 2004
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean ffwd.cx> writes:
Derek wrote:

 J. Anderson has mentioned that fortunately, D can help resolve this by
 using its property technique.
Not to quibble, but I said this :) Sean
May 17 2004