digitalmars.D - Future Aspirations

reply Nicholas Dove <ndove cox.net> writes:
The D Community,

I've been using D consistently (and almost obsessively) for about 6 months
now. I absolutely adore it. I couldn't get through the day without it. As
far as that goes, thank you for a wonderful programming language.

My only concern is not knowing when a new version is released without
opening up PAN and checking this/these newsgroups. Hell, I couldn't even
tell you which version I have now, considering I see nothing about it in
the dmd executable's output/switches, nor on the website.

Point being: Is there a way to find out which version I have? How about
which version is currently being offered on the website?

I'm no expert, but perhaps there could be some sort of naming convention
for the dmd.zip release versions.

Either way, thanks again for the language. I'll still use it whether or
not I know which version it is. :)

- Nick
Nov 18 2004
next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Nicholas Dove" <ndove cox.net> escribió en el mensaje
news:pan.2004.11.19.03.02.23.752969 cox.net...
| The D Community,
|
| I've been using D consistently (and almost obsessively) for about 6 months
| now. I absolutely adore it. I couldn't get through the day without it. As
| far as that goes, thank you for a wonderful programming language.
|
| My only concern is not knowing when a new version is released without
| opening up PAN and checking this/these newsgroups. Hell, I couldn't even
| tell you which version I have now, considering I see nothing about it in
| the dmd executable's output/switches, nor on the website.
|
| Point being: Is there a way to find out which version I have? How about
| which version is currently being offered on the website?
|
| I'm no expert, but perhaps there could be some sort of naming convention
| for the dmd.zip release versions.
|
| Either way, thanks again for the language. I'll still use it whether or
| not I know which version it is. :)
|
| - Nick

Lately, DMD has been released with a version number: dmd0.106.zip (or something
like that). So that's one way.
Another easier way is to run dmd (parameter-less) and read the version number
at
the top.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Nov 18 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Tyro <ridimz_at yahoo.dot.com> writes:
Nicholas Dove wrote:
 The D Community,

 I've been using D consistently (and almost obsessively) for about 6 months
 now. I absolutely adore it. I couldn't get through the day without it. As
 far as that goes, thank you for a wonderful programming language.

 My only concern is not knowing when a new version is released without
 opening up PAN and checking this/these newsgroups. Hell, I couldn't even
 tell you which version I have now, considering I see nothing about it in
 the dmd executable's output/switches, nor on the website.

 Point being: Is there a way to find out which version I have? How about
 which version is currently being offered on the website?
To tell which version you are using. Type "dmd" at the command prompt and press enter. This will display a help screen which states the current version in use. As far as the downloaded dmd.zip file. It is always the current version. Which means if you downloaded it today, it would be v0.106. You can find the current version of the compiler on the change log (http://digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html). The topmost link leads to the most recent changes. Click the link to go to the appropriate section of the document then scroll up slightly to the bullet "Download D compiler for Win32 and x86 linux" and follow the link to download the current version. Alternately you my go to ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com where you will find amed versions of the compiler such as dmd.106.zip which is the exact same as the dmd.zip file at the same location.

prev sibling parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Nicholas Dove wrote:
 Point being: Is there a way to find out which version I have? How about
Open a command prompt and type "DMD" (you'll need to CD into \dmd\bin if it's not in your path). Digital Mars D Compiler v0.104 Copyright (c) 1999-2004 by Digital Mars written by Walter Bright
 which version is currently being offered on the website?
You can find out what the latest version is by looking at the top of this page: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html The latest version is 0.106 (ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.106.zip).

 I'm no expert, but perhaps there could be some sort of naming convention
 for the dmd.zip release versions.
Walter has been adding the version number to the archive since DMD 0.102. I guess he got tired of reading complaints about this. ;) Hope that helps. -- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Nov 18 2004