digitalmars.D - New benchmark results

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Over in comp.lang.c++.moderated it was suggested that I'd castrated C++ or
hobbled the DMC++ compiler in order to get the benchmark results in
www.digitalmars.com/d/cppstrings.html. Since the conventional wisdom is that
C++ using STL can't be beat for efficiency, I can understand their
skepticism. I'd be skeptical too.

So David Friedman has stepped in to compare his excellent gdc compiler with
g++, where the compilers also share a common optimizer and code generator.
As everyone can see on the updated web page, the results are comparable. D
runs away with the win by any measure.

Many thanks to David!
Oct 09 2004
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Walter wrote:
 Over in comp.lang.c++.moderated it was suggested that I'd castrated C++ or
 hobbled the DMC++ compiler in order to get the benchmark results in
 www.digitalmars.com/d/cppstrings.html. Since the conventional wisdom is that
 C++ using STL can't be beat for efficiency, I can understand their
 skepticism. I'd be skeptical too.

 So David Friedman has stepped in to compare his excellent gdc compiler with
 g++, where the compilers also share a common optimizer and code generator.
 As everyone can see on the updated web page, the results are comparable. D
 runs away with the win by any measure.
FWIW, I decided to run my own benchmarks using DMC (with STLPort) and DMD. I tried the default code plus a quick hack of the C++ version to dump everything in a stringstream before parsing. Here are my results: D: Execution time: 0.077 s Execution time: 0.071 s Execution time: 0.079 s CPP 1 (original): Execution time: 0.136 s Execution time: 0.125 s Execution time: 0.132 s CPP 2 (stringstream version): Execution time: 0.146 s Execution time: 0.155 s Execution time: 0.157 s This does seem a fair test of the code the average person is likely to write using each language. I know each could be optimized, but doing so would require some skill and/or nonstandard library code. A refcounting string and a hashmap would be the obvious improvements for C++, but while the hashmap will soon be part of the standard, there is a lot of contention over whether a refcounting version of basic_string could ever be standard-compliant. If I have the time I'll see about using STLPort's hashmap (I'm pretty sure it has one) to flatten the differences a bit. Sean
Oct 09 2004
next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 If I have the time I'll see about using
 STLPort's hashmap (I'm pretty sure it has one) to flatten the
 differences a bit.
Well that turned out to be easier than I thought. I just replaced "map" with "hash_map" and included the appropriate header file. Here are the results: CPP 3 (with hash_map): Execution time: 0.102 s Execution time: 0.110 s Execution time: 0.102 s So D is still the clear winner. Sean
Oct 09 2004
parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:ck9qcp$1a5s$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 If I have the time I'll see about using
 STLPort's hashmap (I'm pretty sure it has one) to flatten the
 differences a bit.
Well that turned out to be easier than I thought. I just replaced "map" with "hash_map" and included the appropriate header file. Here are the results: CPP 3 (with hash_map): Execution time: 0.102 s Execution time: 0.110 s Execution time: 0.102 s So D is still the clear winner. Sean
It would be interesting to also rehash the assoc array in the D code and see if that speeds up anything. Also it would be neat to pre-allocate the hash table so that the array is faster to define, too.
Oct 09 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:ck9q0a$1a0u$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This does seem a fair test of the code the average person is likely to
 write using each language.  I know each could be optimized, but doing so
 would require some skill and/or nonstandard library code.
And that's part of the point. Both the D and C++ versions are straightforward implementations using the standard features of each language. Both languages offer the ability to supertune the source, etc., but I don't think that would produce any useful information as few are ever likely to write such code.
Oct 09 2004
parent reply some where.com writes:
How about implement all the tests on the "The Great Computer Language Shootout"
web-page, and submit to:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
http://dada.perl.it/shootout/

(On the win32 page, it only shows D 0.42, without any acutal test.)

D will then gain much more visibility.
Oct 10 2004
<some where.com> wrote in message news:ckbuo6$2q7v$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 How about implement all the tests on the "The Great Computer Language
Shootout"
 web-page, and submit to:

 http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
 http://dada.perl.it/shootout/

 (On the win32 page, it only shows D 0.42, without any acutal test.)

 D will then gain much more visibility.
I agree, and it's being worked on.
Oct 10 2004