digitalmars.D - Licence blues

reply "Tony" <talktotony email.com> writes:
Forgive me for raising this again, but I'm still a little confused by it.

In the following posting, Walter has indicated that the Phobos library is
covered by a dual GPL/Artistic licence (unless the individual file says
otherwise):

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/24044

In the following posting Walter has indicated that D can be used for closed
source projects:

http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/27211

I'm not sure that these two things are compatible.  Obviously, GPL is not
suitable for closed source projects so in these cases the artistic licence
will need to apply.

Can anyone confirm that the artistic licence does indeed allow for closed
source commercial development?

Also, I'm a little concerned that there isn't one single licence covering
all the modules in Phobos.  This seems to indicate that we will need to
individually check the source for every Phobos module we wish to use, and
then determine if the particular licence is compatible with a particular
project.

Any feedback would be welcome, but I'd be particularly grateful for an
"official" response from Walter.

Thanks,

Tony
May 14 2004
"Tony" <talktotony email.com> wrote in message
news:c83qba$25v9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I understand your concerns and the phobos license will be revised. You *can* do closed source, proprietary, commercial development with D and Phobos.
May 21 2004