digitalmars.D - Q: associative arrays

reply larrycowan <larrycowan_member pathlink.com> writes:
Can an associative array be initialized with compiled contents?
If so, how?

e.g., char[][char[]] wordword = ???

I know it must be static - global defaults to static, so ...
Sep 30 2004
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 03:08:42 +0000 (UTC), larrycowan wrote:

 Can an associative array be initialized with compiled contents?
 If so, how?

 e.g., char[][char[]] wordword = ???

 I know it must be static - global defaults to static, so ...
LOL! Just today I wanted to do exactly this, but I couldn't see how to do it either. But as it is in initialization code, it only gets run just the once and its fast enough for that. bit[ char[] ] AttributeBlocks; void Init() { AttributeBlocks["private"] = true; AttributeBlocks["package"] = true; AttributeBlocks["protected"] = true; AttributeBlocks["public"] = true; AttributeBlocks["export"] = true; } -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 1/10/2004 2:24:43 PM
Sep 30 2004
next sibling parent larrycowan <larrycowan_member pathlink.com> writes:
What I did was:

struct handtype {
char[] name;
int lovalue;
int hivalue;
int count;
};

handtype[] winners = [ { "straight flush",260,272,0 },
{ "four of a kind",247,259,0 },
..
{ "high card",8,12,0 } ];
int[int] ix;

void init_ix ( )
{
foreach ( int i, handtype w; winners )
for ( int j = w.lovalue; j <= w.hivalue ;j++ )
ix[j] = i;
}

void main ( char[][] args )
{
init_ix();
..
winningHand = ...
..
winners[ix[winningHand]].count++;
..
foreach ( handtype w; winners )
printf("%2.0f %.*s\n,(100.0 * w.count)/handsDealt,w.name);
..
}

Well, actually spread over many functions, but that's the idea.

Anyway, I guess we're still waiting for static initialization of
associative arrays - there was some thunder and some suggestions
for syntax a few months back, but apparently nothing yet.
Sep 30 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cjiquv$3178$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Derek Parnell says...
 Can an associative array be initialized with compiled contents?
 If so, how?
LOL! Just today I wanted to do exactly this, but I couldn't see how to do it either.
I've often wanted to set up a /const/ associated array, initialized at compile time. The annoying thing is, /this would actually be possible, currently/, if only the ABI for associative arrays were published in the D documentation. (There is very little you can't hand-compile, if you know the ABI and you're happy for it to be const). Any chance this ABI could be documented? Arcane Jill
Oct 01 2004
"Arcane Jill" <Arcane_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cjj059$2p7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I've often wanted to set up a /const/ associated array, initialized at
compile
 time. The annoying thing is, /this would actually be possible, currently/,
if
 only the ABI for associative arrays were published in the D documentation.
 (There is very little you can't hand-compile, if you know the ABI and
you're
 happy for it to be const).

 Any chance this ABI could be documented?
All associative arrays are are an array (struct Array) of the tree structure (struct aaA) found in phobos\internal\aaA.d.
Oct 03 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:

 Can an associative array be initialized with compiled contents?
 If so, how?

 e.g., char[][char[]] wordword = ???

 I know it must be static - global defaults to static, so ...
LOL! Just today I wanted to do exactly this, but I couldn't see how to do it either. But as it is in initialization code, it only gets run just the once and its fast enough for that. bit[ char[] ] AttributeBlocks; void Init() { AttributeBlocks["private"] = true; AttributeBlocks["package"] = true; AttributeBlocks["protected"] = true; AttributeBlocks["public"] = true; AttributeBlocks["export"] = true; }
just to state the obvious Init can be called from a module constructor so to the rest of the program it looks like AttributeBlocks or wordword was never empty.
Oct 01 2004