digitalmars.D - Legal stuff

reply Mathias <Mathias_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Note: all D users agree that by downloading and using D, or reading the D
specs, they will explicitly identify any claims to intellectual property rights
with a copyright or patent notice in any posted or emailed feedback sent to
Digital Mars."

That's a strange sentence. What does it mean, actually?

Regards,
Mathias
Sep 10 2004
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <chspgc$1o9i$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mathias says...
"Note: all D users agree that by downloading and using D, or reading the D
specs, they will explicitly identify any claims to intellectual property rights
with a copyright or patent notice in any posted or emailed feedback sent to
Digital Mars."

That's a strange sentence. What does it mean, actually?
I think it means that if you send Walter an email with suggestions regarding D, you must notify him if those suggestions include a concept or technique that is patented or copyrighted... assuming you know that, of course. Sean
Sep 10 2004
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:chsttu$1r08$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <chspgc$1o9i$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mathias says...
"Note: all D users agree that by downloading and using D, or reading the
specs, they will explicitly identify any claims to intellectual property
rights
with a copyright or patent notice in any posted or emailed feedback sent
Digital Mars."

That's a strange sentence. What does it mean, actually?
I think it means that if you send Walter an email with suggestions
regarding D,
 you must notify him if those suggestions include a concept or technique
that is
 patented or copyrighted... assuming you know that, of course.
Right. The idea is simply to keep D unencumbered by submarine patents and other belated claims of copyright ownership. I've been following the SCO v. Linux dispute, and don't want any of that nonsense infecting D. If you want to claim ownership of, say, a contribution to Phobos, clearly say so with that contribution.
Sep 10 2004
parent Mathias <Mathias_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cht8av$209v$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

Right. The idea is simply to keep D unencumbered by submarine patents and
other belated claims of copyright ownership. I've been following the SCO v.
Linux dispute, and don't want any of that nonsense infecting D. If you want
to claim ownership of, say, a contribution to Phobos, clearly say so with
that contribution.
Ah, I see. Thanks. Mathias
Sep 12 2004
prev sibling parent sony ardiles <sony_archa yahoo.com> writes:
Sean Kelly Wrote:

 In article <chspgc$1o9i$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mathias says...
"Note: all D users agree that by downloading and using D, or reading the D
specs, they will explicitly identify any claims to intellectual property rights
with a copyright or patent notice in any posted or emailed feedback sent to
Digital Mars."

That's a strange sentence. What does it mean, actually?
I think it means that if you send Walter an email with suggestions regarding D, you must notify him if those suggestions include a concept or technique that is patented or copyrighted... assuming you know that, of course. Sean
Feb 28 2010