D.gnu - Bloated win32 exe's when using gdc

reply Kevin Tardif <kiyoka gmail.com> writes:
I recently compiled gdc 0.17 for both gcc 3.4.5 and gcc 4.0.2.
Everything works fine, and I've no issues compiling with it, except for
the fact that anything it compiles is over 1.2mb in size. I've tried
with both vers of gcc and got the same behavior, both yield exes ranging
  from 1.2mb - 1.5mb. It only seems to be gdc, gcc and g++ compile
things just fine. Has anyone encountered this before?
Feb 15 2006
parent reply "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
How are you compiling it ?  Compiling a simple hello world with gdc cywgin
for me , after stripping , I get 138KB application.  With debug info its
200K.

"Kevin Tardif" <kiyoka gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dsvtgh$1jom$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I recently compiled gdc 0.17 for both gcc 3.4.5 and gcc 4.0.2.
 Everything works fine, and I've no issues compiling with it, except for
 the fact that anything it compiles is over 1.2mb in size. I've tried
 with both vers of gcc and got the same behavior, both yield exes ranging
   from 1.2mb - 1.5mb. It only seems to be gdc, gcc and g++ compile
 things just fine. Has anyone encountered this before?
Feb 17 2006
next sibling parent "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
GCC 3.4.4, GDC 0.12

In fact just for fun heres a exe size comparison.  Check out C at a tiny
3KB!

Exe size: 199KB
Stripped : 138KB
==
import std.stdio;
int main () { writefln("C++ is ridicoulously complex"); return 0;}

C++
Exe size: 466KB
Stripped : 270KB
==
#include <iostream>
int main () { std::cout << "C++ is ridiculously complex"; return 0;}

Exe size: 9KB
Stripped: 3KB
==
#include "stdio.h"
int main () { printf("C++ is ridiculously complex"); return 0;}

"Charles" <noone nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:dt5j2s$ohl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 How are you compiling it ?  Compiling a simple hello world with gdc cywgin
 for me , after stripping , I get 138KB application.  With debug info its
 200K.

 "Kevin Tardif" <kiyoka gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dsvtgh$1jom$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I recently compiled gdc 0.17 for both gcc 3.4.5 and gcc 4.0.2.
 Everything works fine, and I've no issues compiling with it, except for
 the fact that anything it compiles is over 1.2mb in size. I've tried
 with both vers of gcc and got the same behavior, both yield exes ranging
   from 1.2mb - 1.5mb. It only seems to be gdc, gcc and g++ compile
 things just fine. Has anyone encountered this before?
Feb 18 2006
prev sibling parent Kevin Tardif <kiyoka gmail.com> writes:
Hmm, I'm using mingw gdc. Compiling without an specific switches yields
this size. I've tried various optimization switches (-g0, -finline,
-frelease, etc) thinking something was messed up and it would help
reduce the size, but it doesn't do much.
Feb 20 2006