D.gnu - version Windows on cygwin?

reply "Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
Ok, so building gdc on cygwin isn't really difficult: it's just a matter
of having the paths right.
But now that it's ready, I tried compiling a simple program and it
caused an static assert(0) on std.c.windows.windows. Now, cygwin runs on
top of Windows, so shouldn't version Windows be enabled?

_______________________
Carlos Santander Bernal
Feb 14 2005
next sibling parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
"Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:curuej$2jnn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ok, so building gdc on cygwin isn't really difficult: it's just a matter
 of having the paths right.
 But now that it's ready, I tried compiling a simple program and it
 caused an static assert(0) on std.c.windows.windows. Now, cygwin runs on
 top of Windows, so shouldn't version Windows be enabled?

 _______________________
 Carlos Santander Bernal
I'm not sure. Cygwin is supposed to emulate Unix, and so a true emulation of Unix wouldn't have Windows, since a real Unix doesn't. But since it is in reality running under Windows, I guess that make it somewhat ambiguous.
Feb 14 2005
parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
"Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> wrote in message
news:cus11m$2mpk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:curuej$2jnn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ok, so building gdc on cygwin isn't really difficult: it's just a matter
 of having the paths right.
 But now that it's ready, I tried compiling a simple program and it
 caused an static assert(0) on std.c.windows.windows. Now, cygwin runs on
 top of Windows, so shouldn't version Windows be enabled?

 _______________________
 Carlos Santander Bernal
I'm not sure. Cygwin is supposed to emulate Unix, and so a true emulation of Unix wouldn't have Windows, since a real Unix doesn't. But since it is in reality running under Windows, I guess that make it somewhat ambiguous.
I guess it depends on whether C/C++ programs under Cygwin can access the Windows API. And I don't know enough about Cygwin to know if that can be done or not.
Feb 14 2005
next sibling parent Eric Hanchrow <offby1 blarg.net> writes:
 "Nick" == Nick Sabalausky <z a.a> writes:
Nick> I guess it depends on whether C/C++ programs under Cygwin Nick> can access the Windows API. And I don't know enough about Nick> Cygwin to know if that can be done or not. They can, but typically don't. -- But users will not now with glad cries glom on to a language that gives them no more than what Scheme or Pascal gave them. -- Guy Steele, http://www.sun.com/research/jtech/pubs/98-oopsla-growing.ps
Feb 14 2005
prev sibling parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]

This should actually be asked on some Cygwin forum! There probably is an established way of doing this -- and we wouldn't want to break it.
Mar 25 2005
prev sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Carlos Santander B. wrote:
 Ok, so building gdc on cygwin isn't really difficult: it's just a matter
 of having the paths right.
 But now that it's ready, I tried compiling a simple program and it
 caused an static assert(0) on std.c.windows.windows. Now, cygwin runs on
 top of Windows, so shouldn't version Windows be enabled?
Cygwin g++ does not define WIN32. MinGW g++ does. gdc should probably mirror this behaviour. -- andy
Feb 14 2005
next sibling parent Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
Andy Friesen wrote:

[...]
 Cygwin g++ does not define WIN32.
[...] Isn't GNU defined? -manfred
Feb 14 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
Andy Friesen wrote:
 Carlos Santander B. wrote:

 Ok, so building gdc on cygwin isn't really difficult: it's just a matter
 of having the paths right.
 But now that it's ready, I tried compiling a simple program and it
 caused an static assert(0) on std.c.windows.windows. Now, cygwin runs on
 top of Windows, so shouldn't version Windows be enabled?
Cygwin g++ does not define WIN32. MinGW g++ does. gdc should probably mirror this behaviour. -- andy
That sounds reasonable (even if I still think std.c.windows.windows should be available). _______________________ Carlos Santander Bernal
Feb 15 2005
prev sibling parent David Friedman <d3rdclsmail_a_ _t_earthlink_d_._t_net> writes:
Andy Friesen wrote:
 Carlos Santander B. wrote:

 Ok, so building gdc on cygwin isn't really difficult: it's just a matter
 of having the paths right.
 But now that it's ready, I tried compiling a simple program and it
 caused an static assert(0) on std.c.windows.windows. Now, cygwin runs on
 top of Windows, so shouldn't version Windows be enabled?
Cygwin g++ does not define WIN32. MinGW g++ does. gdc should probably mirror this behaviour. -- andy
Does it make sense to set Windows/Win32 if the -mno-cygwin option is given? David
Feb 15 2005