D - Dynamic arrays

reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
Is there any word on when dynamic arrays might be functional?

I wish to start a D project, but with neither alloc-free nor dynamic
arrays I seem to be unable to do anything at all.

Are dynamic arrays due in days? weeks? months? unknown?

Thanx
Karl Bochert
Dec 04 2002
parent reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Karl Bochert wrote:
 Is there any word on when dynamic arrays might be functional?

 I wish to start a D project, but with neither alloc-free nor dynamic
 arrays I seem to be unable to do anything at all.

 Are dynamic arrays due in days? weeks? months? unknown?

 Thanx
 Karl Bochert
afaik, both dynamic arrays and and alloc/free are in D at the moment. To get to malloc and free (which aren't the way that D is meant to be used, but to each his own) you do : import c.stdlib; and either: var * varp = malloc(var.size); or: var * varp = stdlib.malloc(var.size); which should give you your system standard malloc (also calloc, free, alloca, and realloc). if it is the second one, and the stdlib. annoys you, you can always do this: alias stdlib.malloc malloc; etc. I'm not sure I understand which problems you're having with dynamic arrays. Care to describe them in more detail? Evan
Dec 05 2002
parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:

 afaik, both dynamic arrays and and alloc/free are in D at the moment.
 To get to malloc and free (which aren't the way that D is meant to be
 used, but to each his own) you do :

 import c.stdlib;

 and either:

 var * varp = malloc(var.size);

 or:

 var * varp = stdlib.malloc(var.size);

 which should give you your system standard malloc (also calloc, free,
 alloca, and realloc).

 if it is the second one, and the stdlib. annoys you, you can always do this:

 alias stdlib.malloc malloc;

 etc.
Thanks -- I keep thinking that if its not in the manual it doesn't exist, but of course D isn't at that point yet. I would much prefer dynamic arrays if they worked.

 I'm not sure I understand which problems you're having with dynamic
 arrays.  Care to describe them in more detail?
See my 'Stuid Question' thread. Basically my system instantly crashes when I try to do anything that involves enlarging a dynamic array. For instance: char[] s; char[4] t = "test" s = t.dup; // bomb s.length = 6; // bomb Is this problem unique to me? Is it only a problem in the latest release?
 Karl

Dec 05 2002
Karl Bochert wrote:

 Thanks -- I keep thinking that if its not in the manual it doesn't exist,
 but of course D isn't at that point yet.
 I would much prefer dynamic arrays if they worked.
yeah, sometimes you have to dig or ask to find anything. But it's a small project as of yet, and I'm sure that the documentation will improve over time.
 See my 'Stuid Question'  thread.
 Basically my system instantly crashes when I try to do anything
  that involves enlarging a dynamic array.

 For instance:
     char[] s;
     char[4] t = "test"
     s =  t.dup;        // bomb
     s.length = 6;    // bomb

 Is this problem unique to me?
  Is it only a problem in the latest release?
ok, I've tried some things. Here are some suggestions. char[] s; char[] t = "test"; s = t[0..4]; s.length = 7; s[4] = '!'; printf("%.*s\n", s); //prints 'test!' this works. char[] s; char[] t = "test"; s ~= t; s.length = 7; s[4] = '!'; printf("%.*s\n", s); this also works. char[] s; char[4] t = "test"; s ~= t; s.length = 7; s[4] = '!'; printf("%.*s\n", s); that too... char[] s; char[] t = "test"; s = t.dup; s.length = 7; s[4] = '!'; printf("%.*s\n", s); and here as well. so I think that the problem is that char[4] isn't the same type as char[], and the compiler isn't catching it and warning you (or giving you an error) at compile time. Which I think that it should, rather than just puking at runtime, but that's something to take up with Walter. I hope that this has been helpful, at least a little. Actually, trying something else, check the formatting on your original printf() because I just tried your original example again, and it worked. Note the printing discussion on the Arrays page in the Docs, down at the bottom. We really need a native printf() implementation. Evan
Dec 05 2002
parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:25:58 +0100, Evan McClanahan