D - Ideas, thoughts, and criticisms, part three. Naming of "int" and friends.

reply Antti =?iso-8859-1?Q?Syk=E4ri?= <jsykari cc.hut.fi> writes:
About integer and other types, their names.

I had something else to say, too, but I forgot.

References are at the bottom, as usual. Now to the point.

I noticed that in D, there are well-defined sizes for the common integer
types.

byte     8 bits
short   16 bits
int     32 bits
long    64 bits
cent   128 bits

I also noticed that the new 64-bit processor from AMD is coming out
maybe this year already, and Itanium has been around for a some time
already. Not to mention alpha and other 64-bit processors commonly in
use. (Or on paper -- Knuth's MMIX (see knuth:mmix) comes into mind for
some reason ;)

Anyway, the trend seems to go into the direction that people start to
use the 64-bit registers more and more, and soon nobody is using the
32-bit registers any more. This might happen in a few years. Probably C
compilers would start using "int" as a 64-bit data type and make "short"
to be 32-bit instead.

Well, that's the reason that the integral types were designed to be
upwards-compatible in C.

Let's take some perspective.

In the year 2015, I don't want to teach my children the basics of "D"
like this:

'Now, if you want to define an integer in this low-end 256-bit machine,
you gotta use this "übercent" keyword. And unsigned is "uübercent". No,
you cannot use "int" for integer like in C, because D was not designed
to be upwards compatible and now the D standards committee has to invent
new names for every new, bigger integer types...'

This is not really the future I'd like to see. Don't look back at the
past and try to mimic C; look into the future.

Please don't use the word "int" to represent "a 32-bit integer", but
make it instead simply represent "an integer". (Of a range which is
suitable for the machine at hand - that is, on a int would be 32 bit on
a 32-bit machine, 64 bits on a 64-bit machine, etc.)

And please don't use the word "long" to represent "a 64-bit integer",
since in a few years 64 bits won't be long at all.

I'd use the following conventions for well-defined integers:

int8, uint8 (or byte, if you like- I do, actually)
int16
int32
int64
int128
...etc, to be continued. Hopefully. (And I think that now that we are
going to get a lot more parallelism in processors, even bigger registers
will emerge soon - think about MMX technology and its successors)

also:
float32
float64
float80
(and in the future, float128?)

Actually, I'd even prefer "i8, i16, i32, i64" etc. since it's quicker to
type. But might make the language look more obfuscated.

On the char thing I have nothing to say currently. They are a
problematic issue. (But wchar seems something nobody will ever use
anyway.  At least if it's named "wchar". On the other hand, if every
"char" would be a 16/32-bit one, everybody would use byte then.)

Oh, actually, hey.

Use just an alias 'char', which is defined to whatever is proper default
on the platform - and then define char8, char16 and char32. Right?

(I think this approach might suck, because there's no single "char type"
on a platform. Maybe if they could be converted implicitly somehow...
Maybe...)

Antti.

(By the way,

I was lately reading a paper about the development of the C language
(see ritchie:c-devel) (actually I found that via google, searching
something about the history of the switch statement). I bumped into the
following passage:

"Sethi [Sethi 81] observed that many of the nested declarations and
expressions would become simpler if the indirection operator had been
taken as a postfix operator instead of prefix, but by then it was too
late to change."

I couldn't get hold of that paper myself - www.acm.org says "NT machine
internal error" or something like that. Maybe some of you is lucky
enough and knows/finds out what Sethi had in mind.)