D - Prospective Editor for D?

reply "Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
Came across this editor on my way through googledom! Seems to possess many
of the characteristics mention in an earlier thread!
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDownload.html

Comments?
Jun 14 2002
next sibling parent "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
It still doesn't manage project (multiple files) well. But it looks/runs
much nicer then Epsilon, but I haven't compared the functionality. Otherwise
it's pritty comparable to Epsilon (without the trial time-limit).

"Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:aedjr3$m83$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Came across this editor on my way through googledom! Seems to possess many
 of the characteristics mention in an earlier thread!
 http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDownload.html

 Comments?
Jun 14 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
Wow that's nice.  If it only had a GUI on the configuration (especially for
font/color stuff) that would be excellent.  I betcha that tool ends up doing
really well in the web/programmer community, at least.

It's so much better than Notepad it's ridiculous though.  Almost has make
capability builtin it seems.  The brace folding is a nice plus.  The
companion programs really transform it into a real IDE evidently.

Neat!

Sean

"Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:aedjr3$m83$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Came across this editor on my way through googledom! Seems to possess many
 of the characteristics mention in an earlier thread!
 http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDownload.html

 Comments?
Jun 15 2002
parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
Looks good. Who's going to do the D plug-in.

And before you ask ...

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:aef4ol$2hip$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
I already almost have one working.  ;)

Sean

"Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
news:aef7er$2kb8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Looks good. Who's going to do the D plug-in.

 And before you ask ...
Jun 15 2002
next sibling parent "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
Cool. Let me know when you've got it done.

[And I know we're deprecating D Journal talk, but do you think you could
write this up as an article. It would be useful both as a D programming
piece, and also as an introduction to a useful tool for all the programming
newbies who are wanting to learn via D?]

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:aef8i5$2lc2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I already almost have one working.  ;)

 Sean

 "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
 news:aef7er$2kb8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Looks good. Who's going to do the D plug-in.

 And before you ask ...
Jun 15 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
Sean would you be able to address the project handling shortfall mentioned
by Joel?

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:aef8i5$2lc2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| I already almost have one working.  ;)
|
| Sean
|
| "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
| news:aef7er$2kb8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| > Looks good. Who's going to do the D plug-in.
| >
| > And before you ask ...

Jun 15 2002
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
It has a companion program called Filerx that does that stuff.  It can even
convert old VC++ .DSP files.

So far it seems a tad lacking...  the editor is real nice, but can only
handle 1 file open at a time.  Filerx doesn't know much about the build
process and the editor can only build a whole project via external make.
(but it can compile individual files just fine)

It's still a great big step up from Notepad and batch files.  I find it
works in practice, but I think I still prefer Visual Studio.

But hey, what do you expect from *free* software *with source code*!  We can
always improve it.

Sean

"Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:aefdp4$2qb5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sean would you be able to address the project handling shortfall mentioned
 by Joel?

 "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
 news:aef8i5$2lc2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | I already almost have one working.  ;)
 |
 | Sean
 |
 | "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
 | news:aef7er$2kb8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | > Looks good. Who's going to do the D plug-in.
 | >
 | > And before you ask ...
Jun 15 2002
parent reply "Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza" <jcab roningames.com> writes:
"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:aeg9dk$kil$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 It has a companion program called Filerx that does that stuff.  It can
even
 convert old VC++ .DSP files.

 So far it seems a tad lacking...  the editor is real nice, but can only
 handle 1 file open at a time.
That's just because of the default config. You can change it in the global options file. Just uncomment line 90: "buffers=10" and that allows you up to 10 files. And you even get an extra menu entry :) I do agree it could be better, though. But the sources are fully available, if I understand correctly.
 It's still a great big step up from Notepad and batch files.  I find it
 works in practice, but I think I still prefer Visual Studio.
:) And, at least, it works much like VS in every aspect of editing and navigating the text that I care about. And that's rare. Andrew, this was a really nice pointer. Salutaciones, JCAB
Jun 18 2002
parent reply "Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
Not a prob Juan Carlos...

BTW, have either you or Sean gotten any further with tweaking this bad boy
up?  I'm interested in getting a
D lexer builed for it but have no idea where to begin. If either of you
guys gan help me out with this I'd be forever grateful!

Andrew

"Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza" <jcab roningames.com> wrote in message
news:aeomqu$h5o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
| news:aeg9dk$kil$1 digitaldaemon.com...
|
| > It has a companion program called Filerx that does that stuff.  It can
| even
| > convert old VC++ .DSP files.
| >
| > So far it seems a tad lacking...  the editor is real nice, but can only
| > handle 1 file open at a time.
|
|    That's just because of the default config. You can change it in the
| global options file. Just uncomment line 90: "buffers=10" and that allows
| you up to 10 files. And you even get an extra menu entry :)
|
|    I do agree it could be better, though. But the sources are fully
| available, if I understand correctly.
|
| > It's still a great big step up from Notepad and batch files.  I find it
| > works in practice, but I think I still prefer Visual Studio.
|
|    :) And, at least, it works much like VS in every aspect of editing and
| navigating the text that I care about. And that's rare.
|
|    Andrew, this was a really nice pointer.
|
| Salutaciones,
|                          JCAB
Jun 21 2002
parent "Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza" <jcab roningames.com> writes:
"Andrew Edwards" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:aevv92$2cd0$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 BTW, have either you or Sean gotten any further with tweaking this bad boy
 up?  I'm interested in getting a
 D lexer builed for it but have no idea where to begin. If either of you
 guys gan help me out with this I'd be forever grateful!
I've barely started using it. There's config file space to explore to bore a hippopotamus. Which is not bad, just a bit time consuming. I've just found out that some of the config settings are for use later in the config itself (like you would envionment variables in a shell script), and some others are actually used by the program. The online documentation lists which: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDoc.html It doesn't sound too difficult. Salutaciones, JCAB
Jun 21 2002
prev sibling parent "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
What I have so far:

Add *.d to list of file types in source.files=

Add $(filter.d) to list of file types in open.filter=

Add &D|d|| to list of file types in menu.language=

file.patterns.d=*.d

filter.d=D (d)|*.d|

lexer.$(file.patterns.d)=cpp

keywordclass.d=abstract alias align asm assert bit body break byte \
case cast catch cent char class complex \
const continue debug default delete delegate deprecated \
do double else enter enum extended extern export \
false final finally float for goto if imaginary import \
in inout int interface invariant long new null \
out override private protected public return \
short static struct super switch synchonized \
this throw true try typedef ubyte ucent uint ulong \
union unittest ushort using version virtual void wchar while with
keywords.$(file.patterns.d)=$(keywordclass.d)
word.characters.$(file.patterns.d)=$(word.chars.cxx)

if PLAT_WIN
dmd=\dmd\bin\dmd -debug -unittest -c $(FileName)

command.compile.*.d=$(dmd)
command.build.*.d=make
command.go.*.d=$(FileName)

That should get you most of the way there.