D - regexp suggestion

reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
It would be really nice to have a method of RegExp similar to test(),
but only matching regexp at the position given, not advancing
further on error, and returning number of bytes read (or 0 on failure).
It could be used for easy token parsing:

    RegExp identifier = new RegExp('\w', "");
    char[] code, token;
    int pos;
    int count = identifier.get(code, pos);
    if (count)
    {
        token = code[pos .. pos + count];
        pos += count;    // next token
I believe you can already do that with regexp by looking at the match array
and using it to slice the input array.

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a41ccn$2m50$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It would be really nice to have a method of RegExp similar to test(),
 but only matching regexp at the position given, not advancing
 further on error, and returning number of bytes read (or 0 on failure).
 It could be used for easy token parsing:

     RegExp identifier = new RegExp('\w', "");
     char[] code, token;
     int pos;
     int count = identifier.get(code, pos);
     if (count)
     {
         token = code[pos .. pos + count];
         pos += count;    // next token
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a41imc$2pnk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I believe you can already do that with regexp by looking at the match
array
 and using it to slice the input array.
Yes, but it's sloooooow!
You can also use the "g" attribute.

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a41jep$2q3p$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:a41imc$2pnk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I believe you can already do that with regexp by looking at the match
array
 and using it to slice the input array.
Yes, but it's sloooooow!
Feb 08 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a41oek$2se5$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 You can also use the "g" attribute.
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with regexp... how is it supposed to do what I want?
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a42jse$6h1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:a41oek$2se5$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 You can also use the "g" attribute.
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with regexp... how is it supposed to do what I want?
If you use the "g" attribute to the RegExp constructor, and repeated calls to exec() will each pick up where the previous left off.
Feb 09 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a42tc9$hrc$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 If you use the "g" attribute to the RegExp constructor, and repeated calls
 to exec() will each pick up where the previous left off.
But doesn't it try to search for the regexp further if it doens't match in current position?
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a433vk$l3i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:a42tc9$hrc$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 If you use the "g" attribute to the RegExp constructor, and repeated
calls
 to exec() will each pick up where the previous left off.
But doesn't it try to search for the regexp further if it doens't match in current position?
Yes.
Feb 09 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a43tq3$11uk$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 But doesn't it try to search for the regexp further if it doens't
 match in current position?
Yes.
Then I don't understand how it can be used to tokenize the string. Suppose I have: foo123 = bar456 + 789; Now I first search for the identifier, and get "foo123" and "bar456". Then I search for numbers and get "123", "456" and "789" - and only the latter is correct... With my suggestion implemented, however, it'd look somewhat different. First I check for identifier, and get "foo123". Now I advance after the end of that token, and perform another check... when I get to "789", I check if it matches an identifier /\w.../ - it doesn't, so I check if it is a number /0-9+/ and succeed... that's how it is supposed to work.
Feb 09 2002
next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> writes:
I think sscanf could do this if it could return a pointer to how far it got
in the input string during processing in addition to how many fields were
converted.  sscanf as it exists in C is not so useful.

Sean

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a443lq$147s$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

"Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> wrote in message
news:a444t2$14qa$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I think sscanf could do this if it could return a pointer to how far it
got
 in the input string during processing in addition to how many fields were
 converted.  sscanf as it exists in C is not so useful.
Also if sscanf would understoof regexps... =) That's why I suggest RegExp.scan();
Feb 09 2002
parent "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> writes:
sscanf has alot more power than most people realize.  I myself didn't
discover alot of it until recently.  But it won't tell you where it got to
in the string.

Sean

"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a447tq$161o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

If you're changing the regular expression you're searching for, which is what you're doing by switching from looking for an identifier to looking for a number, you'll need to create a new RegExp for each different regular expression. Then apply them as required to the remainder of the input string.
Feb 09 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a446n4$15hm$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 If you're changing the regular expression you're searching for, which is
 what you're doing by switching from looking for an identifier to looking
for
 a number, you'll need to create a new RegExp for each different regular
 expression. Then apply them as required to the remainder of the input
 string.
I pre-create them all in form of an array; RegExp[] tokens; static this() { tokens = new RegExp('\w+', ""), // word new RegExp('\d+', ""), // number ... } Now how do I apply them to the remainder of the input string (whatever this means)? I can of course first retrieve identifiers, and remove them from the array, then get rid of numbers, symbols... etc. But it would be damn slow. This could be also done by "regexp comparison" function, if there were one: // read a token for (int i = 0; i < token.length; i++) { // RegExp.cmp() returns the number of chars at the beginning // of given string that match the regexp, or 0 if no match int len = tokens[0].cmp(text[pos .. text.length]); if (len) { // match! token = text[pos .. pos + len]; pos += len; } } Regexp comparison is a good idea anyhow, IMO. Can be used for lots of different things.
Feb 09 2002
next sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
         tokens =
             new RegExp('\w+', ""),    // word
             new RegExp('\d+', ""),    // number
Sorry =) This should of course look: tokens = new RegExp('\w+', "") ~ // word new RegExp('\d+', "") ~ // number ...
All you have to do is:

    r1 = new RegExp(...);

    m1 = r1.match(input);
    if (m1.length)
        m2 = r2.match(input[&m1[0][0] - &input[0] .. input.length];

and so on...
Feb 09 2002