D - newbie: How complete is D?

reply Mahmoud Al Gammal <Mahmoud_member pathlink.com> writes:
I just heard about D a couple of days ago at osnews.com.
I'm interested in learning it, and there's already an application
that I was going to start writing soon so I thought of implementing it
in D.

The program is a simple compiler for a subset of the Pascal language
(it's a college assignment actually). I'm not interested in adding a
GUI for it.

My question is, is D complete/stable enough such that I could use it
for this task without having problems that leave me in the middle
of nowhere (given that I already know C/C++ & Java very well)?

Thanks in advance...

Mahmoud
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Mahmoud Al Gammal wrote:

I just heard about D a couple of days ago at osnews.com.
I'm interested in learning it, and there's already an application
that I was going to start writing soon so I thought of implementing it
in D.

The program is a simple compiler for a subset of the Pascal language
(it's a college assignment actually). I'm not interested in adding a
GUI for it.

My question is, is D complete/stable enough such that I could use it
for this task without having problems that leave me in the middle
of nowhere (given that I already know C/C++ & Java very well)?

Thanks in advance...

Mahmoud

I think so. D is approaching 1.0 so it's almost complete :) . In regard to libs, well you'll have to port any C libs that you can't find a D alternative for. I mean D has lots of libs, but nothing on the scale of C++ or java. Stability - I rarely find a D compiler bug (nowadays). Your not using a GUI, that should make D a bit easier (most D GUI's are still in early development). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Stephan Wienczny <wienczny web.de> writes:
Mahmoud Al Gammal wrote:

 I just heard about D a couple of days ago at osnews.com.
 I'm interested in learning it, and there's already an application
 that I was going to start writing soon so I thought of implementing it
 in D.

 The program is a simple compiler for a subset of the Pascal language
 (it's a college assignment actually). I'm not interested in adding a
 GUI for it.

 My question is, is D complete/stable enough such that I could use it
 for this task without having problems that leave me in the middle
 of nowhere (given that I already know C/C++ & Java very well)?

 Thanks in advance...

 Mahmoud
Maybe you could help us by writing a d code parser generator?
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Off the top of my head:

    Language: 85%
    Compiler: 75%
    Libraries: 50%

but all these are rapidly accelerating towards completion.

Want to contribute?

news:c66uua$2mdd$1 digitaldaemon.com...