D - Library collaboration - esp. 4 windows.d

reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
This may have been covered already, but ... is there a good reason why there
is not a CVS server on digitalmars.com, and we can all (or whatever subset
of the NG Walter wants to allow access) use that as a repository for files
such as windows.d that would profit from a lot of collaborative effort?
May 31 2003
next sibling parent "Andrew Edwards" <edwardsac spamfreeusa.com> writes:
"Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message
news:bbbes7$2sk4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This may have been covered already, but ... is there a good reason why
there
 is not a CVS server on digitalmars.com, and we can all (or whatever subset
 of the NG Walter wants to allow access) use that as a repository for files
 such as windows.d that would profit from a lot of collaborative effort?
I think that's a great idea! Collaboration development would do wonders for the phosbos library and multiple other GUI and IDE projects in development.
May 31 2003
"Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message
news:bbbes7$2sk4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This may have been covered already, but ... is there a good reason why
there
 is not a CVS server on digitalmars.com, and we can all (or whatever subset
 of the NG Walter wants to allow access) use that as a repository for files
 such as windows.d that would profit from a lot of collaborative effort?
Helmut Leitner set up a wiki that seems to fulfill that role well.
May 31 2003
parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
But AFAIK (and correct me if I'm wrong) with Wiki all participants are
responsible for collective edit/replacement of the document. It's not
automated, and even more significant, it's not guarded against concurrent
access. (Not to mention the lack of history.)

My strong feeling is that a source-code control system is needed. It needn't
be on DigitalMars, just on a machine of someone well-known to the ng, who
has space, bandwidth, time, and a good understanding of administering SCCSs.
(Alas I have the first two, but neither of the latter, otherwise I'd
volunteer.)

news:bbblqb$1vv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Matthew Wilson wrote:
 But AFAIK (and correct me if I'm wrong) with Wiki all participants are
 responsible for collective edit/replacement of the document. It's not
 automated, and even more significant, it's not guarded against concurrent
 access. (Not to mention the lack of history.)
PHPWiki is exactly so. Take a look at TWiki sometime. It's way better. You can do things like attach files to pages, get a full history of what's been done to a page, and set user accounts to restrict who has write access.
May 31 2003
next sibling parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
Ok. That sounds good.

Just need someone who knows the know to organise it ... ;)

"Andy Friesen" <andy ikagames.com> wrote in message
news:bbc2l5$ti5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
prev sibling parent reply Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
Andy Friesen wrote:

 Matthew Wilson wrote:
 But AFAIK (and correct me if I'm wrong) with Wiki all participants are
 responsible for collective edit/replacement of the document. It's not
 automated, and even more significant, it's not guarded against concurrent
 access. (Not to mention the lack of history.)
PHPWiki is exactly so. Take a look at TWiki sometime. It's way better. You can do things like attach files to pages, get a full history of what's been done to a page, and set user accounts to restrict who has write access.
the ProWikiSoftware used for Wiki4D <http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?RecentChanges> does this as well: - protection against edit collisions (just try it) - upload of files (I published username/password) - complete page revision history (enter your name under "Preferences" and look at any page) - restrict write access (I felt no need to do so) *BUT* IMHO this is not a replacement for CVS. As I mentioned to edit windows.d as a wiki page is tedious (given its 450+ KB size) and unsave (copy and paste in an edit window). Uploading files is easy but doesn't coordinate development efforts by merging changes like CVS does. I've enough server resources to provide CVS (I've just ordered a new root server). The only problem is my lack of CVS-know-how to do it quickly and efficiently. Is there someone with good knowledge of CVS who could help me setting it up? -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Jun 01 2003
parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
"Helmut Leitner" <helmut.leitner chello.at> wrote in message
news:3ED9B829.23C1F52E chello.at...
[...]
A lack of merge pretty much kills the Wiki idea, I would say.
 I've enough server resources to provide CVS (I've just ordered a new
 root server). The only problem is my lack of CVS-know-how to do it
 quickly and efficiently. Is there someone with good knowledge of CVS
 who could help me setting it up?
Not me, alas. I'd love to learn about this, so maybe you can do a one-page doco once you get the inside info from an expert ...