www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - [website redesign] PR for the one with the big red menu bar

reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 
- For details see here.
Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see the 
proper logo color.
Jan 27 2015
next sibling parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 1/27/15 3:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited this
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
This one has my vote. -Steve
Jan 27 2015
parent "Phil" <phil.j.ellison gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:06:24 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 On 1/27/15 3:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper 
 logo color.
This one has my vote. -Steve
+1
Jan 27 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 1/27/15, anonymous via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869
 - For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see the
 proper logo color.
I'm never going to like red. It's not easy on the eyes, the focus should be int the middle where the text is, and the red is distracting.
Jan 27 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 09:21:20PM +0100, Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
 On 1/27/15, anonymous via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869
 - For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see the
 proper logo color.
I'm never going to like red. It's not easy on the eyes, the focus should be int the middle where the text is, and the red is distracting.
I like the design, but yeah, the red is a little too prominent. Maybe a more saturated red might work better? Also, I still think the horizon above Mars should be a darker color, to provide more visual contrast before the big red column begins to stretch down the page. T -- Too many people have open minds but closed eyes.
Jan 27 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "NVolcz" <niklas.volcz gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
I generally have a very bad sense of design. So with that said here is my opinion: To much red. I like the menu styling very much. I however prefer when the menus are on the top so it does not compete with the content. The dmd version in the menu seems unnecessary. Would be nice if the announcement and discussion boxes scaled a bit more. They are way to small right now. I like the style of the site. The yellowish gives the site a old school feel. What are peoples feeling about the "fork me on github ribbon"? On a semi unrelated note. We should really improve the content on the landing page. Right now it's way to much text. Best regards, NVolcz
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Jan 28 2015
next sibling parent reply "Dicebot" <public dicebot.lv> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Looks more natural than current dlang.org to me
Jan 28 2015
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 1/28/15 7:57 AM, Dicebot wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 -
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited
 this before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo
 color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Looks more natural than current dlang.org to me
Like
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling parent "Brad Anderson" <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:57:36 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 
 - For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Looks more natural than current dlang.org to me
I like the grey but very much prefer the new logo. I've always found the old logo too busy. Three (count 'em) borders, a drop shadow, numerous gradients all just distract from the iconic D and moons that should be the focus.
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, 
 suggested by veelo on GitHub: 
 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Thanks for trying this. It addresses the complaints and I think it is still an improvement over the live website, although less fresh than your initial proposal. The narrow version still uses your modern logo though.
Jan 28 2015
parent "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 16:10:44 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, 
 suggested by veelo on GitHub: 
 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Thanks for trying this. It addresses the complaints and I think it is still an improvement over the live website, although less fresh than your initial proposal. The narrow version still uses your modern logo though.
Yeah, I didn't update it, because there's not much to change from the one that's currently on dlang.org.
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 03:54:30PM +0000, anonymous via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
details see here.
Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited
this before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo
color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
I like it. The grey on the left panel is a bit too dark, though. Maybe a touch brighter? OTOH, if the point is to match it with the grey on the right stream boxes, then I guess it's OK. T -- Many open minds should be closed for repairs. -- K5 user
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 16:13:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 I like it. The grey on the left panel is a bit too dark, 
 though. Maybe
 a touch brighter?

 OTOH, if the point is to match it with the grey on the right 
 stream
 boxes, then I guess it's OK.
Yes, it's the same background color: #333 or hls(0,0%,20%) (i.e. lightness = 20%). The menu vanishes a bit with that background, doesn't it? It looks rather slick, though. I can't seem to find a good border color for a lighter menu background, because the lightness of the border comes close to that of the page background, and they blend.
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 06:50:05PM +0000, anonymous via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 16:13:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
I like it. The grey on the left panel is a bit too dark, though.
Maybe a touch brighter?

OTOH, if the point is to match it with the grey on the right stream
boxes, then I guess it's OK.
Yes, it's the same background color: #333 or hls(0,0%,20%) (i.e. lightness = 20%). The menu vanishes a bit with that background, doesn't it? It looks rather slick, though.
Looking at both variants side-by-side, I think your grey version is much better. The original design is far too red. However, the grey version is also noticeably darker; maybe both the menu and the stream boxes on the right should be lightened up a bit? I'm thinking even a silver-metallic look might work. I'm no graphic designer, though, so take my word with a grain of salt. :-)
 I can't seem to find a good border color for a lighter menu
 background, because the lightness of the border comes close to that of
 the page background, and they blend.
What about making both brighter? T -- The two rules of success: 1. Don't tell everything you know. -- YHL
Jan 28 2015
parent "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 19:34:33 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 Looking at both variants side-by-side, I think your grey 
 version is much
 better. The original design is far too red. However, the grey 
 version is
 also noticeably darker; maybe both the menu and the stream 
 boxes on the
 right should be lightened up a bit? I'm thinking even a 
 silver-metallic
 look might work. I'm no graphic designer, though, so take my 
 word with a
 grain of salt. :-)
Neither am I. I have no idea how to pull off a "silver-metallic look".
 I can't seem to find a good border color for a lighter menu
 background, because the lightness of the border comes close to 
 that of
 the page background, and they blend.
What about making both brighter?
I'm already in over my head here. So, maybe, I guess? But if it's an improvement over the status quo, I'd like to try without touching all the colors. They can always be fine-tuned later on. Preferably by someone who knows their color ABC a little better than me.
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
Should probably be a separate pull request but since you have 
them going: the red in the new menu should be a colour that 
occurs in the logo, IMO. Currently I think it is B83723 which I 
cannot find in the old logo. Picking with Gimp in the middle of 
the logo gives me AD2E25 which might work better.

Regards,
Bastiaan.
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 16:36:57 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo 
wrote:
 Should probably be a separate pull request but since you have 
 them going: the red in the new menu should be a colour that 
 occurs in the logo, IMO. Currently I think it is B83723 which I 
 cannot find in the old logo. Picking with Gimp in the middle of 
 the logo gives me AD2E25 which might work better.
You mean the highlight for expanded collapseable sections (e.g. "D Reference")? I took that from the current <dlang.org>, should have been #BA361B. I agree, #AD2E25 looks way better. Updated the preview.
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 19:04:43 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 16:36:57 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo 
 wrote:
 Should probably be a separate pull request but since you have 
 them going: the red in the new menu should be a colour that 
 occurs in the logo, IMO. Currently I think it is B83723 which 
 I cannot find in the old logo. Picking with Gimp in the middle 
 of the logo gives me AD2E25 which might work better.
You mean the highlight for expanded collapseable sections (e.g. "D Reference")? I took that from the current <dlang.org>, should have been #BA361B. I agree, #AD2E25 looks way better. Updated the preview.
Exactly. And the ">>" on subitems and highlight on mouseover.
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 19:15:24 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo 
wrote:
 Exactly. And the ">>" on subitems and highlight on mouseover.
Oh, had missed that. Was a different color, too. Updated the preview again.
Jan 28 2015
parent "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 19:25:32 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 19:15:24 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo 
 wrote:
 Exactly. And the ">>" on subitems and highlight on mouseover.
Oh, had missed that. Was a different color, too. Updated the preview again.
Thanks. I like it. The mouseover highlight is not as bright as on original dang.org, but the item stays much more legible now when highlit. It could possibly be brightened a bit by picking a different shade from the logo, but I think it is good to repeat the same colour (as you have it now).
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "MattCoder" <stop spam.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, 
 suggested by veelo on GitHub: 
 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
I like it too! :) PS: One thing that I think which would be nice from this new layout is to take out the border and the padding-top of the main content, example: http://i.imgur.com/fhkZYCP.png Matheus.
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "ponce" <contact gam3sfrommars.fr> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Lovely design, I liked the red one better but well. Am I the only one to find the DMD 2.066.1 mention out of place and redundant?
Jan 28 2015
next sibling parent "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 20:09:05 UTC, ponce wrote:
 Am I the only one to find the DMD 2.066.1 mention out of place 
 and redundant?
No I agree. Only useful for visitors that know their compiler version by heart and instantly recognise a new version. If it stays it should probably link to the corresponding version in the changelog?
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 20:09:05 UTC, ponce wrote:
 Am I the only one to find the DMD 2.066.1 mention out of place 
 and redundant?
Not at all. I think someone else mentioned it, too. And I don't like it either. But it can be changed independently, so I'm not doing it here.
Jan 28 2015
parent "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 20:27:27 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 20:09:05 UTC, ponce wrote:
 Am I the only one to find the DMD 2.066.1 mention out of place 
 and redundant?
Not at all. I think someone else mentioned it, too. And I don't like it either. But it can be changed independently, so I'm not doing it here.
In the same vein: * the GitHub ribbon on download.html * finally splitting up the change log * a search option for the language reference
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Kapps" <opantm2+spam gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Much nicer IMO. The red looks relatively nice, but it's way too flashy and distracting. As with the current website though, I wish the logo was higher res or SVG. The logo looks quite pixelated on a zoomed browser / high res screen.
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir thecybershadow.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 22:17:39 UTC, Kapps wrote:
 As with the current website though, I wish the logo was higher 
 res or SVG. The logo looks quite pixelated on a zoomed browser 
 / high res screen.
We can replace it with a SVG, no problem. But without some sort of fallback, 7% of visitors won't see it at all: http://caniuse.com/svg
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir thecybershadow.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 23:38:16 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 22:17:39 UTC, Kapps wrote:
 As with the current website though, I wish the logo was higher 
 res or SVG. The logo looks quite pixelated on a zoomed browser 
 / high res screen.
We can replace it with a SVG, no problem. But without some sort of fallback, 7% of visitors won't see it at all: http://caniuse.com/svg
I don't have stats for dlang.org, but for forum.dlang.org, it's actually more like 0.3%, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Jan 28 2015
parent "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir thecybershadow.net> writes:
On Thursday, 29 January 2015 at 00:33:42 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev 
wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 23:38:16 UTC, Vladimir 
 Panteleev wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 22:17:39 UTC, Kapps wrote:
 As with the current website though, I wish the logo was 
 higher res or SVG. The logo looks quite pixelated on a zoomed 
 browser / high res screen.
We can replace it with a SVG, no problem. But without some sort of fallback, 7% of visitors won't see it at all: http://caniuse.com/svg
I don't have stats for dlang.org, but for forum.dlang.org, it's actually more like 0.3%, so it shouldn't be an issue.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/877
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, 
 suggested by veelo on GitHub: 
 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Made a pull request for this version: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/876
Jan 28 2015
parent reply "Brad Anderson" <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 23:38:37 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, 
 suggested by veelo on GitHub: 
 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Made a pull request for this version: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/876
Very nice. Any chance you could just whip up a grey version of the new logo just to see what it'd look like on this grey version? I love that you made the site responsive too.
Jan 28 2015
parent "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir thecybershadow.net> writes:
On Thursday, 29 January 2015 at 00:55:57 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 23:38:37 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, 
 suggested by veelo on GitHub: 
 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Made a pull request for this version: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/876
Very nice. Any chance you could just whip up a grey version of the new logo just to see what it'd look like on this grey version? I love that you made the site responsive too.
dlang.org has been responsive for a few days now.
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling parent reply "Chris" <wendlec tcd.ie> writes:
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Gray looks better, defo. But we could still keep the new logo from the first (red) version. The new logo style looks infinitely better. Maybe introduce a gradient from Mars red to black, or just try the same on gray (shade and all). Keeping the old clunky logo is like having a brand new Maserati with the hood of a Volkswagen Beetle :-) He!
Feb 03 2015
next sibling parent "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 10:13:49PM +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
 Keeping the old clunky logo is like having a brand new Maserati with
 the hood of a Volkswagen Beetle :-) He!
Actually, the Volkswagen Beetle is my all-time favorite car shape. I would totally dig a Beetle with a modern engine and internals. :-D (I don't like the modern VW beetles, btw. I'm talking about the 1975 Beetles. :-P) T -- Acid falls with the rain; with love comes the pain.
Feb 03 2015
prev sibling parent "Meta" <jared771 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 3 February 2015 at 22:13:50 UTC, Chris wrote:
 On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 15:54:31 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 
 - For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Here's a variant with a grey background and the old logo, suggested by veelo on GitHub: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
Gray looks better, defo
Grey is so boring and drab. A splash of color looks nice and draws attention. Corporate grey has connotations with Java, Basic, or COBOL. Let's not go overboard with it.
Feb 04 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIERyYcWhYXI=?= via Digitalmars-d writes:
Dne 27.1.2015 v 21:02 anonymous via Digitalmars-d napsal(a):
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited thi=
s
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
I generaly dislike the flatening trend in design, i.e., removing button borders and such, but all in all it looks fresh and streamlined. I have however issues with navigation - once I click on standard library I can't go back to upper level. Also the link to code.dlang.org is named "more libraries" in top-level and "3rd party packages" in phobos level. I would vote for consistency. Also the darker color looks better imho. Martin
Jan 28 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Another variant somewhere between the all-red one and the all-grey one: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
Jan 30 2015
next sibling parent reply "ixid" <adamsibson hotmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 16:30:18 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Another variant somewhere between the all-red one and the all-grey one: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
This version is a very good blend. I think the logo would look nicer without the light effect crescent that goes all the way across.
Jan 30 2015
parent reply "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 16:36:10 UTC, ixid wrote:
 I think the logo would look nicer without the light effect 
 crescent that goes all the way across.
I always thought this "light effect crescent", also present in the old logo, was meant to represent the contour of the planet Mars. I think it is part of the signature and that we should try to keep it. Likewise I see the "clouds" in the old logo as representing Martian atmosphere. The new logo I think is an improvement over the old one because not only is it clearer (fewer ornaments) it also enhances the Mars image: widening the horizon and an increased aspect ratio gives a cinematic view of the D, suspended in weightlessness, in alignment with the two moons. Increasing the distance from the D to the edges of the logo (where does it end?) compared to the classic logo (which now looks cramped) actually strengthens the focus on it: it is the only thing there. Loosing the clouds also enhances this outer space impression. Like when carefully homing in on a space station after a long interplanetary flight. So, in my eyes this enhancement of the logo has been done in all the right ways considering proportions, focus, signature features, recognisability and the strength of the impression it leaves. Walter, I know you like [1] the current version of the logo for all the features that are removed here. Maybe the above helps a bit to see the ups of this version :) [1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/853#issuecomment-71565627 Bastiaan.
Jan 30 2015
parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 1/30/15 1:43 PM, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
 On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 16:36:10 UTC, ixid wrote:
 I think the logo would look nicer without the light effect crescent
 that goes all the way across.
I always thought this "light effect crescent", also present in the old logo, was meant to represent the contour of the planet Mars. I think it is part of the signature and that we should try to keep it. Likewise I see the "clouds" in the old logo as representing Martian atmosphere.
Those aren't clouds, they are moons :) I too, like the "light effect crescent." -Steve
Jan 30 2015
next sibling parent "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 20:21:01 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 Those aren't clouds, they are moons :)
I don't mean the moons, I talk about them later in my post :) I mean the transparent shimmer, reminds of flying through clouds. Bastiaan.
Jan 30 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 20:21:01 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 Those aren't clouds, they are moons :)
Phobos and Deimos to be precise.
Jan 31 2015
prev sibling parent reply "Brian Schott" <briancschott gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 20:21:01 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:
 Those aren't clouds, they are moons :)
That's no moon. That's a space station.
Jan 31 2015
parent "Bastiaan Veelo" <Bastiaan Veelo.net> writes:
On Saturday, 31 January 2015 at 12:22:32 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:

 That's no moon. That's a space station.
:)
Jan 31 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent David Gileadi <gileadis NSPMgmail.com> writes:
On 1/30/15 9:30 AM, anonymous wrote:
 Another variant somewhere between the all-red one and the all-grey one:

 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
I think it might look better if the red blends into the gray: http://i.imgur.com/ZCvmkVq.png
Jan 30 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "Brad Anderson" <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 16:30:18 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:02:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 PR: 
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - 
 For details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've 
 visited this before, you may have to clear your cache to see 
 the proper logo color.
Another variant somewhere between the all-red one and the all-grey one: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
+1
Jan 30 2015
prev sibling parent reply "HaraldZealot" <harald_zealot tut.by> writes:
 Another variant somewhere between the all-red one and the 
 all-grey one:

 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
+1 but perhaps blending between logo and menu were good.
Feb 01 2015
parent "HaraldZealot" <harald_zealot tut.by> writes:
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 09:46:16 UTC, HaraldZealot wrote:
 Another variant somewhere between the all-red one and the 
 all-grey one:

 http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
And also when Phobos and Deimos receive some grayness than D letter becomes more contrast and recognizability.
Feb 01 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
Alright, the grey variant with the old logo [1] got merged.

Now, are we satisfied, or should I push further for the logo 
change?

We all know that Walter is fond of the logo as it is, but I think 
he didn't comment on this version yet. Andrei said he'd be fine 
with it [2]. Preemptively obeying Walter's assumed veto may be a 
mistake.

Personally, I can live with the old logo. I'm also not really 
satisfied with the partially red version (grey-newlogo) [3], 
because I can't seem to make a nice transition from the red logo 
to the grey menu. A simple gradient doesn't cut it for me. The 
all-red version [4] is out, I think, because it's too distracting.

So, are we done? Or do you want the new logo? In the form of 
grey-newlogo [3]?

[1] http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
[2] http://forum.dlang.org/post/m9v5um$30ba$1 digitalmars.com
[3] http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
[4] http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/
Feb 01 2015
parent "Brad Anderson" <eco gnuk.net> writes:
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 20:42:48 UTC, anonymous wrote:
 Alright, the grey variant with the old logo [1] got merged.

 Now, are we satisfied, or should I push further for the logo 
 change?

 We all know that Walter is fond of the logo as it is, but I 
 think he didn't comment on this version yet. Andrei said he'd 
 be fine with it [2]. Preemptively obeying Walter's assumed veto 
 may be a mistake.

 Personally, I can live with the old logo. I'm also not really 
 satisfied with the partially red version (grey-newlogo) [3], 
 because I can't seem to make a nice transition from the red 
 logo to the grey menu. A simple gradient doesn't cut it for me. 
 The all-red version [4] is out, I think, because it's too 
 distracting.

 So, are we done? Or do you want the new logo? In the form of 
 grey-newlogo [3]?

 [1] http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-oldlogo/
 [2] http://forum.dlang.org/post/m9v5um$30ba$1 digitalmars.com
 [3] http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/variants/grey-newlogo/
 [4] http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com/
I'd really like to see that new logo. What about just dropping the red and using a grey background for the logo too? https://i.imgur.com/TNCtCOk.png Or maybe using a bit of red in the background gradient? https://i.imgur.com/UnyUnU0.png
Feb 02 2015
prev sibling parent reply Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 01/27/2015 03:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited this
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
The right-side panel is WAY too prominent. It takes nearly an entire third of the horizontal space, leaving the main content much to squished. The upper part of the left-side panel has far too much wasted vertical space. The main links don't even start until almost halfway down the first "screen" (ie, before you start scrolling). Also, the search box suffers from invisible text syndrome. I think you set its background color to white while forgetting to set the foreground text color. CSS and UI designers tend to forget that not everyone uses a "dark-on-light" system color scheme. (for some of us, "dark-on-light" hurts our eyes)
Feb 02 2015
next sibling parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 02/02/2015 12:29 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 On 01/27/2015 03:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited this
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
The right-side panel is WAY too prominent. It takes nearly an entire third of the horizontal space, leaving the main content much to squished. The upper part of the left-side panel has far too much wasted vertical space. The main links don't even start until almost halfway down the first "screen" (ie, before you start scrolling). Also, the search box suffers from invisible text syndrome. I think you set its background color to white while forgetting to set the foreground text color. CSS and UI designers tend to forget that not everyone uses a "dark-on-light" system color scheme. (for some of us, "dark-on-light" hurts our eyes)
Also, on the mobile version, I would move the "menu" hieroglyph to the right side (and maybe actually *SAY* "menu", but that's a whole other rant). I'd move it partly because mobile usually reserves upper-left corner for "back" buttons, but also because the upper-left corner is by FAR the most difficult-to-reach part of a mobile screen for right-handed people (even with my rather large hands it's still very difficult to reach. Steve Jobs must've been a lefty.)
Feb 02 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply FG <home fgda.pl> writes:
On 2015-02-02 at 18:29, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 On 01/27/2015 03:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited this
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
The right-side panel is WAY too prominent. It takes nearly an entire third of the horizontal space, leaving the main content much to squished.
Yes. The main content is way too narrow when the right panel finally disappears.
 The upper part of the left-side panel has far too much wasted vertical space.
The main links don't even start until almost halfway down the first "screen"
(ie, before you start scrolling).
I love the logo with the horizon and the color scheme of the navigation panel, but I also feel that too much precious space above the fold is wasted. Compare the two: http://fgda.pl/static/dlang_org_sidebar.png
Feb 02 2015
parent Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe semitwist.com> writes:
On 02/02/2015 04:59 PM, FG wrote:
 On 2015-02-02 at 18:29, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 On 01/27/2015 03:02 PM, anonymous wrote:
 PR: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/869 - For
 details see here.
 Live version: http://ag0aep6g-dlang.rhcloud.com - If you've visited this
 before, you may have to clear your cache to see the proper logo color.
The right-side panel is WAY too prominent. It takes nearly an entire third of the horizontal space, leaving the main content much to squished.
Yes. The main content is way too narrow when the right panel finally disappears.
I assume you mean "*until* the right panel finally disappears"?
 The upper part of the left-side panel has far too much wasted vertical
 space. The main links don't even start until almost halfway down the
 first "screen" (ie, before you start scrolling).
I love the logo with the horizon and the color scheme of the navigation panel, but I also feel that too much precious space above the fold is wasted. Compare the two: http://fgda.pl/static/dlang_org_sidebar.png
Yea, the example on the right is way better. It even *looks* much, much nicer.
Feb 02 2015
prev sibling parent "anonymous" <anonymous example.com> writes:
On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 17:29:05 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 The right-side panel is WAY too prominent. It takes nearly an 
 entire third of the horizontal space, leaving the main content 
 much to squished.
Yeah, I'd forgotten to update the max-widths. https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/886
 The upper part of the left-side panel has far too much wasted 
 vertical space. The main links don't even start until almost 
 halfway down the first "screen" (ie, before you start 
 scrolling).
One thing I thought of is putting the search box below the menu links. The downside would be, that it's harder to find when a foldable section is expanded.
 Also, the search box suffers from invisible text syndrome. I 
 think you set its background color to white while forgetting to 
 set the foreground text color. CSS and UI designers tend to 
 forget that not everyone uses a "dark-on-light" system color 
 scheme. (for some of us, "dark-on-light" hurts our eyes)
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/887
Feb 03 2015