www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - the interesting and the sad

reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
you decide which is which:

http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/03/17/jack-thompson-responds-to-the-take-two-lawsuit
Mar 17 2007
next sibling parent reply Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists gmail.com> writes:
kris wrote:
 you decide which is which:
 
 http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html
 http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/03/17/jack-thompson-responds-to-the-take-two-lawsuit

* reads ars technica one first * ... I don't think there's anything I could possibly say at this point. I really hope he ends up in a padded room: for all our sakes. * reads acm one * Ok, I know COBOL was verbose... but that's ridiculous. Also, am I the only one annoyed that every time I read a topical article like this on the web, no one bothers to mention *when* it was written? I mean, how the heck are you supposed to know if it's still relevant or not? Since it doesn't mention D (or far worse: Python), I'm going to assume it was written some time in the late Cretaceous period. :) Other than that, an interesting read. Thankfully D seems to fill most of the requirements he mentions. -- Daniel P.S. Yes, I spent 5 minutes writing this so that the right side of all the paragraphs would line up nicely. :) -- Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even make sense. v2sw5+8Yhw5ln4+5pr6OFPma8u6+7Lw4Tm6+7l6+7D i28a2Xs3MSr2e4/6+7t4TNSMb6HTOp5en5g6RAHCP http://hackerkey.com/
Mar 17 2007
parent Frits van Bommel <fvbommel REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> writes:
Daniel Keep wrote:
 kris wrote:
 you decide which is which:

 http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html


 
 * reads acm one *
 
 Ok, I know COBOL was verbose... but that's ridiculous.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Is none of that optional?
 Also, am I the
 only one annoyed that every time I read a topical article like this on
 the web, no one bothers to mention *when* it was written?  I mean, how
 the heck are you supposed to know if it's still relevant or not?

At the bottom it says "Copyright 2004"...
 Since it doesn't mention D (or far worse: Python), I'm going to assume
 it was written some time in the late Cretaceous period. :)

Yeah, the only (procedural) scripting language mentioned seems to be qbasic. (I'm not sure how the functional languages and Prolog should be classified) No mention at all of any more recent mainstream scripting languages is a bit weird. No mention of D is too bad, but I have no idea in what state D was in 2004. I wasn't around for v0.77-v0.110.
 Other than that, an interesting read.  Thankfully D seems to fill most
 of the requirements he mentions.

Yes it does.
 P.S. Yes, I spent 5 minutes writing this so that the right side of all
 the paragraphs would line up nicely. :)

Bored?
 


What we have here is a lawyer who responds to being sued by quoting scripture instead of legal texts <rolls eyes>... The fact that the lawsuit that has him arguing religion is about /video games/ just makes it even sadder. Even if I'd never heard of him before, that'd be enough reason for me to never consider hiring him.
Mar 18 2007
prev sibling parent reply torhu <fake address.dude> writes:
kris wrote:
 you decide which is which:
 
 http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html

That guy dismisses Pascal as not being object-oriented, while the most used Pascal dialects are, like Turbo (Object) Pascal, Delphi, etc. 'He also claims that OO first appeared in Smalltalk in the 70's, while it was really Simula in the 60's. I guess your point is that he would have chosen D instead of C if he had been aware of it? I agree, but I feel that D relies too little on pointers and too much on the GC to be used for teaching the basics of memory handling. I doesn't force people to be aware of what actually happens. But you should probably teach more than one language anyway.
Mar 18 2007
parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
torhu wrote:
 kris wrote:
 
 you decide which is which:

 http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html

That guy dismisses Pascal as not being object-oriented, while the most used Pascal dialects are, like Turbo (Object) Pascal, Delphi, etc. 'He also claims that OO first appeared in Smalltalk in the 70's, while it was really Simula in the 60's. I guess your point is that he would have chosen D instead of C if he had been aware of it? I agree, but I feel that D relies too little on pointers and too much on the GC to be used for teaching the basics of memory handling. I doesn't force people to be aware of what actually happens. But you should probably teach more than one language anyway.

Just passing some info along ~ wasn't trying to make a point, tohru :)
Mar 18 2007