www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - sudo apt-get install dmd

reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

Should we make it part of the official distribution?


Andrei
Mar 14 2015
next sibling parent reply "tcak" <tcak gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found 
 this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?


 Andrei
Ubuntu, most of the time, used with GUI. I just click on Download button of DMD, and Firefox opens it with Software Centre, and I click on Install button. Update works in the same way. So, in this case, there is no need for apt-get. ...BUT... Especially for Raspberry PI, server OSs (e.g. CentOS), it is a good idea. But I do not thing, anyone would one to install it on a server unless they require libphobos to run an executable.
Mar 14 2015
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/14/15 11:37 AM, tcak wrote:
 On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?


 Andrei
Ubuntu, most of the time, used with GUI. I just click on Download button of DMD, and Firefox opens it with Software Centre, and I click on Install button. Update works in the same way. So, in this case, there is no need for apt-get.
Well among other things I'm thinking of getting it programmatically in tools/update.sh. -- Andrei
Mar 14 2015
prev sibling parent "deadalnix" <deadalnix gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 18:37:18 UTC, tcak wrote:
 On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
 wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found 
 this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?


 Andrei
Ubuntu, most of the time, used with GUI. I just click on Download button of DMD, and Firefox opens it with Software Centre, and I click on Install button. Update works in the same way. So, in this case, there is no need for apt-get. ...BUT... Especially for Raspberry PI, server OSs (e.g. CentOS), it is a good idea. But I do not thing, anyone would one to install it on a server unless they require libphobos to run an executable.
apt-get will get you the updates automagically !
Mar 14 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 10:31 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:
=20
 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/
=20
 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
It is the way I put DMD and other things in the repository into Debian Sid. These debs work nicely, the debs produced as part of the distribution have to be downloaded and installed into a local repository and it's all a mess: much easier having d-apt part of the release process. Should also look to get the RPMs into rpmfusion for Fedora 21, 22 and Rawhide. similarly much easier than downloading RPMs into=20 --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Mar 14 2015
parent reply "weaselcat" <weaselcat gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 18:56:07 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 10:31 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via 
 Digitalmars-d
 wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found 
 this:
 
 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/
 
 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
It is the way I put DMD and other things in the repository into Debian Sid. These debs work nicely, the debs produced as part of the distribution have to be downloaded and installed into a local repository and it's all a mess: much easier having d-apt part of the release process. Should also look to get the RPMs into rpmfusion for Fedora 21, 22 and Rawhide. similarly much easier than downloading RPMs into
I thought DMD wasn't included in free distros because of licensing issues? I don't think any major distro comes without LDC or GDC.
Mar 14 2015
parent reply Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 19:34 +0000, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[=E2=80=A6]
 I thought DMD wasn't included in free distros because of=20
 licensing issues?
Well it's about time the licences changed then.
 I don't think any major distro comes without LDC or GDC.
Indeed. However these do not have the speed of compilation of DMD. So for script use rdmd is essential, otherwise ldc2 and gdc are required as dmd generated code is awfully slow.=20 --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Mar 15 2015
parent reply "weaselcat" <weaselcat gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 13:13:25 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 19:34 +0000, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d 
 wrote:
 […]
 I thought DMD wasn't included in free distros because of 
 licensing issues?
Well it's about time the licences changed then.
It would be nice if Walter commented on this, because there's no way to get DMD into any distro until this happens. I understand if he doesn't want to relicense it, but it would be nice. quoting from the license file,
The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license,
and may not be redistributed. If you wish to obtain a 
redistribution license,
please contact Digital Mars.
Mar 15 2015
parent reply Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/15/15 10:49 AM, weaselcat wrote:
 On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 13:13:25 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 19:34 +0000, weaselcat via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 […]
 I thought DMD wasn't included in free distros because of licensing
 issues?
Well it's about time the licences changed then.
It would be nice if Walter commented on this, because there's no way to get DMD into any distro until this happens. I understand if he doesn't want to relicense it, but it would be nice.
We'd want to but are not able to change the license. -- Andrei
Mar 15 2015
parent reply "weaselcat" <weaselcat gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 17:51:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 On 3/15/15 10:49 AM, weaselcat wrote:
 On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 13:13:25 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 19:34 +0000, weaselcat via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 […]
 I thought DMD wasn't included in free distros because of 
 licensing
 issues?
Well it's about time the licences changed then.
It would be nice if Walter commented on this, because there's no way to get DMD into any distro until this happens. I understand if he doesn't want to relicense it, but it would be nice.
We'd want to but are not able to change the license. -- Andrei
That's a shame. Do you know if the backend license will remain with DDMD?
Mar 15 2015
parent reply "weaselcat" <weaselcat gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 17:52:45 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
 On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 17:51:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
 wrote:
 On 3/15/15 10:49 AM, weaselcat wrote:
 On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 13:13:25 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 19:34 +0000, weaselcat via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 […]
 I thought DMD wasn't included in free distros because of 
 licensing
 issues?
Well it's about time the licences changed then.
It would be nice if Walter commented on this, because there's no way to get DMD into any distro until this happens. I understand if he doesn't want to relicense it, but it would be nice.
We'd want to but are not able to change the license. -- Andrei
That's a shame. Do you know if the backend license will remain with DDMD?
Actually, is DDMD just a frontend port? I feel sort of dumb now for not checking before asking that : )
Mar 15 2015
parent "Daniel Murphy" <yebbliesnospam gmail.com> writes:
"weaselcat"  wrote in message news:ilvohiiubkvzrglmkolb forum.dlang.org...

 Do you know if the backend license will remain with DDMD?
Yes
 Actually, is DDMD just a frontend port? I feel sort of dumb now for not 
 checking before asking that : )
And yes, but even if the backend was being converted to D that wouldn't change the license.
Mar 16 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Dicebot" <public dicebot.lv> writes:
On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found 
 this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?


 Andrei
You can't "distribute" repository. It could be good to move it to "dlang.org" domain though and suggest using it in "downloads" section instead of plain .deb package.
Mar 14 2015
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/14/15 11:05 PM, Dicebot wrote:
 On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?


 Andrei
You can't "distribute" repository. It could be good to move it to "dlang.org" domain though and suggest using it in "downloads" section instead of plain .deb package.
Oh, yah, didn't mean "distribution". I meant make everything part of the site and official packaging process. -- Andrei
Mar 14 2015
prev sibling parent Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 06:05 +0000, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[=E2=80=A6]
=20
 You can't "distribute" repository. It could be good to move it to=20
 "dlang.org" domain though and suggest using it in "downloads"=20
 section instead of plain .deb package.
It would be a good first step to move d-apt from the current URL to apt.dlang.org. Should also set up rpms.dlang.org for Fedora packages pending getting properly set up in rpmfusion. --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Mar 15 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 14/03/15 18:31, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
It would be nice to have an official apt repo. I find the way things are packaged there slightly unsatisfactory, inasmuch as it packages various different tools into the dmd-bin package (e.g. both dmd and rdmd) rather than allowing you to install/uninstall them separately. Alternatively, might be worth setting up a dlang PPA on Launchpad (I think it probably makes things easier setting up packages for multiple different Ubuntu and Debian installs).
Mar 15 2015
next sibling parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/15/15 5:25 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 On 14/03/15 18:31, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
It would be nice to have an official apt repo. I find the way things are packaged there slightly unsatisfactory, inasmuch as it packages various different tools into the dmd-bin package (e.g. both dmd and rdmd) rather than allowing you to install/uninstall them separately. Alternatively, might be worth setting up a dlang PPA on Launchpad (I think it probably makes things easier setting up packages for multiple different Ubuntu and Debian installs).
Do we have one or more experts in all of the above with time at their disposal? -- Andrei
Mar 15 2015
prev sibling parent reply "Leandro Lucarella" <leandro.lucarella sociomantic.com> writes:
On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 12:25:35 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling 
wrote:
 On 14/03/15 18:31, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found 
 this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
It would be nice to have an official apt repo. I find the way things are packaged there slightly unsatisfactory, inasmuch as it packages various different tools into the dmd-bin package (e.g. both dmd and rdmd) rather than allowing you to install/uninstall them separately. Alternatively, might be worth setting up a dlang PPA on Launchpad (I think it probably makes things easier setting up packages for multiple different Ubuntu and Debian installs).
I'm not sure Ubuntu allows hosting non-FLOSS in their PPAs.
Mar 16 2015
next sibling parent "weaselcat" <weaselcat gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 16 March 2015 at 11:01:47 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
 On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 12:25:35 UTC, Joseph Rushton 
 Wakeling wrote:
 On 14/03/15 18:31, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and 
 found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
It would be nice to have an official apt repo. I find the way things are packaged there slightly unsatisfactory, inasmuch as it packages various different tools into the dmd-bin package (e.g. both dmd and rdmd) rather than allowing you to install/uninstall them separately. Alternatively, might be worth setting up a dlang PPA on Launchpad (I think it probably makes things easier setting up packages for multiple different Ubuntu and Debian installs).
I'm not sure Ubuntu allows hosting non-FLOSS in their PPAs.
They do, but DMD's license specifically prohibits redistribution. I think the best way to solve this is to work on LDC/GDC's compilation speed, I guess.
Mar 16 2015
prev sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2015-03-16 12:01, Leandro Lucarella wrote:

 I'm not sure Ubuntu allows hosting non-FLOSS in their PPAs.
How are proprietary drivers installed, from other sources? -- /Jacob Carlborg
Mar 17 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 13:25 +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
[=E2=80=A6]
=20
 Alternatively, might be worth setting up a dlang PPA on Launchpad (I thin=
k it=20
 probably makes things easier setting up packages for multiple different U=
buntu=20
 and Debian installs).
Experience tells us that Launchpad PPAs are fine for Ubuntu and no use for Debian. --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder ekiga.n= et 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder
Mar 15 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 15/03/15 14:11, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 Experience tells us that Launchpad PPAs are fine for Ubuntu and no use
 for Debian.
Ack, that's a shame. I have no direct experience from the Debian side, but I'd thought the PPAs did allow for creating package builds for Debian releases. :-(
Mar 15 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 15 Mar 2015 13:45, "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d" <
digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:
 On 15/03/15 14:11, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 Experience tells us that Launchpad PPAs are fine for Ubuntu and no use
 for Debian.
Ack, that's a shame. I have no direct experience from the Debian side,
but I'd thought the PPAs did allow for creating package builds for Debian releases. :-(

I briefly looked at http://openbuildservice.org as an alternative IIRC.
But didn't have the immediate patience to wait in a very long build queue.
Mar 15 2015
prev sibling parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found 
 this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
We could try to host an apt and yum repo on dlang.org. Might be simple to do, but it's not much better than the deb/rpm download we offer. It only gets interesting when we could land DMD in official repos, volunteering package maintainers are welcome and should please contact me. I hope we can sort out the redistribution part of the backend somehow. We should include the few commands to install the packages on the download page.
Mar 16 2015
parent reply Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On 16 March 2015 at 12:36, Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:
 On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
We could try to host an apt and yum repo on dlang.org. Might be simple to do, but it's not much better than the deb/rpm download we offer.
With a repo, at least you can let the package manager take care of upgrades (or non-upgrades if you want to pin a specific version). We could use dlang.org/rpm and dlang.org/debian maybe? Iain
Mar 16 2015
parent Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail erdani.org> writes:
On 3/16/15 5:47 AM, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 On 16 March 2015 at 12:36, Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d
 <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:
 On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 17:31:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
 I was looking at easy installation of dmd on ubuntu, and found this:

 http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

 Should we make it part of the official distribution?
We could try to host an apt and yum repo on dlang.org. Might be simple to do, but it's not much better than the deb/rpm download we offer.
With a repo, at least you can let the package manager take care of upgrades (or non-upgrades if you want to pin a specific version).
Yah, that would be better than just the downloads.
 We could use dlang.org/rpm and dlang.org/debian maybe?
Would be awesome. Who can work on this? Andrei
Mar 16 2015