www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - short praise

reply "Stephan" <stephan80 mac.com> writes:
Hi,

I just updated to dmd 2.061 and I am very happy to see that the 
segfault thrown by one of my unittests that bugged me for the 
last few hours is now gone. It seemed to be a nasty bug in the 
runtime which is now fixed. I am really happy that there are 
people continuously updating the tools and working on the bugs! 
Thanks to all those involved!

One brief question:
Having just updated to dmd 2.061, I see that 2.062 is released, 
but it is not on the website. Is that on purpose?

Stephan
Jan 18 2013
next sibling parent Johannes Pfau <nospam example.com> writes:
Am Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:45:09 +0100
schrieb "Stephan" <stephan80 mac.com>:

 One brief question:
 Having just updated to dmd 2.061, I see that 2.062 is released, 
 but it is not on the website. Is that on purpose?
 

2.062 hasn't been released yet. I guess you got that impression from the changelog on dlang.org? It's actually the changelog that's wrong, not the download page...
Jan 18 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Rob T" <alanb ucora.com> writes:
On Friday, 18 January 2013 at 15:50:02 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
 Am Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:45:09 +0100
 schrieb "Stephan" <stephan80 mac.com>:

 One brief question:
 Having just updated to dmd 2.061, I see that 2.062 is 
 released, but it is not on the website. Is that on purpose?
 

2.062 hasn't been released yet. I guess you got that impression from the changelog on dlang.org? It's actually the changelog that's wrong, not the download page...

Yeah I noticed that too. I guessed that it was there to inform people what's coming next. If that's the intention, I think it's a very good idea, but it should be explained better, and we really REALLY need access to periodic snapshots of the beta package on the download page so that the users of D can easily test the next release before it gets released. I already want to try out some new things but the pain of installing from source is putting it off. --rt
Jan 18 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 07:21:41PM +0100, Rob T wrote:
 On Friday, 18 January 2013 at 15:50:02 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
Am Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:45:09 +0100
schrieb "Stephan" <stephan80 mac.com>:

One brief question:
Having just updated to dmd 2.061, I see that 2.062 is released,
but it is not on the website. Is that on purpose?

2.062 hasn't been released yet. I guess you got that impression from the changelog on dlang.org? It's actually the changelog that's wrong, not the download page...

Yeah I noticed that too. I guessed that it was there to inform people what's coming next. If that's the intention, I think it's a very good idea, but it should be explained better, and we really REALLY need access to periodic snapshots of the beta package on the download page so that the users of D can easily test the next release before it gets released. I already want to try out some new things but the pain of installing from source is putting it off.

What OS are you using? Installing from source is actually very easy on Linux (and other Posix OS's). http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD (Very easy, compared to installation of other toolchains, like GCC, which is a royal pain in the behind to build from source. And that's an understatement.) T -- MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs
Jan 18 2013
prev sibling next sibling parent "Rob T" <alanb ucora.com> writes:
On Friday, 18 January 2013 at 18:39:43 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 What OS are you using? Installing from source is actually very 
 easy on
 Linux (and other Posix OS's).

 	http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD

 (Very easy, compared to installation of other toolchains, like 
 GCC,
 which is a royal pain in the behind to build from source. And 
 that's an
 understatement.)

The point I wanted to state, is that we should work towards making it as simple as possible to test out the latest beta snapshot, so that even the most casual D user can try it out. The more beta testers we have, the better tested the next release will be. A packaged snapshot would be a lot simpler than having users installing from source. One thing about this, when testing a beta version, you still need to use the released version, so if there's ever a packaged beta made available, the package should allow two (or more) versions of the compiler to co-exist. --rt
Jan 18 2013
prev sibling parent "Stephan" <stephan80 mac.com> writes:
On Friday, 18 January 2013 at 15:50:02 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
 Am Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:45:09 +0100
 schrieb "Stephan" <stephan80 mac.com>:

 One brief question:
 Having just updated to dmd 2.061, I see that 2.062 is 
 released, but it is not on the website. Is that on purpose?
 

2.062 hasn't been released yet. I guess you got that impression from the changelog on dlang.org? It's actually the changelog that's wrong, not the download page...

Thanks for clarifying. I anticipated it must be something like that. By the way, to the folks who want earlier access to the beta: Can't you simply download from gihub? Stephan
Jan 18 2013