www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - sort and shared

reply Adam Conner-Sax <adam_conner_sax yahoo.com> writes:
The following code:

import std.algorithm;

class Foo  {
private:
  int id_;
public:
  shared int id() const { return id_; }
}


static bool compare(in shared(Foo) a, in shared(Foo) b)
{
  return (a.id() < b.id());
}

void main()
{
  shared Foo a,b,c;
  shared(Foo)[] uFooArray = [a,b,c];
  sort!(compare)(uFooArray);
}

fails to compile with

usr/local/src/dmd2/src/phobos/std/conv.d(295): Error: function
object.Object.toString () is not callable using argument types ()


whereas if I just take all the shared away it compiles fine.  I imagine that
this is somewhere to do with a string function being called on an element of
the array and then there's no shared version of that method.

Is there a fix? Or a different way to call sort?  I can cast away shared for
the sort but since in the actual application I have a reason for it, that's a
bit worrisome.

Thanks!

Adam


Adam
Jan 20 2011
parent reply "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:14:06 -0500, Adam Conner-Sax  
<adam_conner_sax yahoo.com> wrote:

 The following code:

 import std.algorithm;

 class Foo  {
 private:
   int id_;
 public:
   shared int id() const { return id_; }
 }


 static bool compare(in shared(Foo) a, in shared(Foo) b)
 {
   return (a.id() < b.id());
 }

 void main()
 {
   shared Foo a,b,c;
   shared(Foo)[] uFooArray = [a,b,c];
   sort!(compare)(uFooArray);
 }

 fails to compile with

 usr/local/src/dmd2/src/phobos/std/conv.d(295): Error: function
 object.Object.toString () is not callable using argument types ()


 whereas if I just take all the shared away it compiles fine.  I imagine  
 that
 this is somewhere to do with a string function being called on an  
 element of
 the array and then there's no shared version of that method.

 Is there a fix? Or a different way to call sort?  I can cast away shared  
 for
 the sort but since in the actual application I have a reason for it,  
 that's a
 bit worrisome.

 Thanks!

This should be fixed in svn. I encountered a very similar issue, and implemented a fix. This will be fixed in the next release: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=4901 -Steve
Jan 21 2011
next sibling parent reply Adam Conner-Sax <adam_conner_sax yahoo.com> writes:
Thanks!

I tried to apply that patch and rebuild phobos (I changed the file, remade
libphobos2.a, put it in /usr/local/lib).  That worked but I still get my error.
I
might have done the applying or rebuilding wrong though, especially since once I
did that, even with the casting away of shared, I get some linker errors.

I'll wait for the next release, I guess, and in the meantime cast away "shared"
and be very afraid.

Is there any way to fix it otherwise by making the elts printable?

Adam
Jan 21 2011
parent Adam Conner-Sax <adam_conner_sax yahoo.com> writes:
Thanks.

I'll wait for now since (gulp!) casting away shared just for the sort works  and
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the patching.

Adam
Jan 23 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:04:56 -0500, Adam Conner-Sax  
<adam_conner_sax yahoo.com> wrote:

 Thanks!

 I tried to apply that patch and rebuild phobos (I changed the file,  
 remade
 libphobos2.a, put it in /usr/local/lib).  That worked but I still get my  
 error. I
 might have done the applying or rebuilding wrong though, especially  
 since once I
 did that, even with the casting away of shared, I get some linker errors.

 I'll wait for the next release, I guess, and in the meantime cast away  
 "shared"
 and be very afraid.

 Is there any way to fix it otherwise by making the elts printable?

Hm... it's a simple patch. Maybe there is something different I'm not seeing. I'll see if I can reproduce with my build. -Steve
Jan 21 2011
prev sibling parent "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:09:18 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer  
<schveiguy yahoo.com> wrote:

 On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:04:56 -0500, Adam Conner-Sax  
 <adam_conner_sax yahoo.com> wrote:

 Thanks!

 I tried to apply that patch and rebuild phobos (I changed the file,  
 remade
 libphobos2.a, put it in /usr/local/lib).  That worked but I still get  
 my error. I
 might have done the applying or rebuilding wrong though, especially  
 since once I
 did that, even with the casting away of shared, I get some linker  
 errors.

 I'll wait for the next release, I guess, and in the meantime cast away  
 "shared"
 and be very afraid.

 Is there any way to fix it otherwise by making the elts printable?

Hm... it's a simple patch. Maybe there is something different I'm not seeing. I'll see if I can reproduce with my build.

Compiled your code and ran it without error (well, got a segfault because the elements are all null), so I think maybe the patch wasn't applied properly on your machine. I guess all I can recommend is either to get phobos from svn or wait for the next release. -Steve
Jan 21 2011