www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - Win GUI Single Exe - Newbie

reply "Paul" <phshaffer gmail.com> writes:
I would like to start writing little Win GUI utilities.  I really 
want to stick with single .exeS that I can carry around on a jump 
drive and don't have to install.  Is D developed enough, with 
various libraries and documentation to do this?  If there are 
still a lot of bugs and gotcha's maybe I should use the 
codeBlocks C++ IDE and go from there.  D just looks some much 
cleaner and has some features I've seen in Python dealing with 
strings especially.
Apr 06 2012
next sibling parent reply "Jesse Phillips" <Jessekphillips+D gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 15:18:35 UTC, Paul wrote:
 I would like to start writing little Win GUI utilities.  I 
 really want to stick with single .exeS that I can carry around 
 on a jump drive and don't have to install.  Is D developed 
 enough, with various libraries and documentation to do this?  
 If there are still a lot of bugs and gotcha's maybe I should 
 use the codeBlocks C++ IDE and go from there.  D just looks 
 some much cleaner and has some features I've seen in Python 
 dealing with strings especially.

I can't recommend whether D should or shouldn't be used based on your description. You can build stand alone GUI apps with DFL, and probably DWT. QtD and GtkD likely need their libraries shipped around. Documentation is pretty bad for DFL, but DWT has all the SWT docs and translation isn't bad.
Apr 06 2012
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-04-06 17:37, Jesse Phillips wrote:
 I can't recommend whether D should or shouldn't be used based on your
 description. You can build stand alone GUI apps with DFL, and probably
 DWT. QtD and GtkD likely need their libraries shipped around.

 Documentation is pretty bad for DFL, but DWT has all the SWT docs and
 translation isn't bad.

Building stand alone executables with DWT works great. DWT doesn't depend on any third party libraries, only on the system libraries. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Apr 07 2012
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-04-07 23:34, vmars316 wrote:
 On Saturday, 7 April 2012 at 12:25:27 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-04-06 17:37, Jesse Phillips wrote:

 Building stand alone executables with DWT works great. DWT doesn't
 depend on any third party libraries, only on the system libraries.

I downloaded and installed dinstaller.exe using this HowTo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSugYSC5hrE&feature=related What would I need to have installed to run DWT?

1. Clone this git repository: https://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt 2. Pull down the submodules "base" and "org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86" by running: $ git submodule init $ git submodule update 3. Build the library by running: $ rake base swt Ruby and rake is needed for the above command. Or the source code can be used directly. Both "base" and "swt" is needed. These import libraries are also needed (for some things):
 How about VisualD, is it any good?
 Any recommends would be greatly appreciated.
 Thanks...vmars

I've heard it's good, but I haven't used it myself. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Apr 08 2012
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-04-16 19:04, Paul wrote:

 Is installing and using DWT really this involved? I spent hours figuring
 out github, cloning the repository (I think). The git submodule commands
 never ran w/o errors. I was quite frustrated.
 Thanks for any additional comments. Do you know of a tutorial that deals
 with this installation and goes through a basic DWT hello world....all
 in on tutorial?

No, as far as I know there is no such tutorial. But when you have downloaded DWT you could use tutorials for SWT with minor modifications. Cloning the repository is just: $ git clone git://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt.git Then you run the commands for the submodules. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Apr 16 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "vmars316" <vmars316 live.com> writes:
On Saturday, 7 April 2012 at 12:25:27 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-04-06 17:37, Jesse Phillips wrote:

 Building stand alone executables with DWT works great. DWT 
 doesn't depend on any third party libraries, only on the system 
 libraries.

I downloaded and installed dinstaller.exe using this HowTo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSugYSC5hrE&feature=related What would I need to have installed to run DWT? How about VisualD, is it any good? Any recommends would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...vmars
Apr 07 2012
prev sibling parent "Paul" <phshaffer gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 8 April 2012 at 10:26:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-04-07 23:34, vmars316 wrote:
 On Saturday, 7 April 2012 at 12:25:27 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
 wrote:
 On 2012-04-06 17:37, Jesse Phillips wrote:

 Building stand alone executables with DWT works great. DWT 
 doesn't
 depend on any third party libraries, only on the system 
 libraries.

I downloaded and installed dinstaller.exe using this HowTo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSugYSC5hrE&feature=related What would I need to have installed to run DWT?

1. Clone this git repository: https://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt 2. Pull down the submodules "base" and "org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86" by running: $ git submodule init $ git submodule update 3. Build the library by running: $ rake base swt Ruby and rake is needed for the above command. Or the source code can be used directly. Both "base" and "swt" is needed. These import libraries are also needed (for some things):
 How about VisualD, is it any good?
 Any recommends would be greatly appreciated.
 Thanks...vmars

I've heard it's good, but I haven't used it myself.

Is installing and using DWT really this involved? I spent hours figuring out github, cloning the repository (I think). The git submodule commands never ran w/o errors. I was quite frustrated. Thanks for any additional comments. Do you know of a tutorial that deals with this installation and goes through a basic DWT hello world....all in on tutorial?
Apr 16 2012