www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - Where to find COFF2OMF ?

reply tsalm <tsalm free.fr> writes:
Hello,

Where to find the utility COFF2OMF ?

Thanks in advance,
TSalm
Oct 15 2008
parent reply "Denis Koroskin" <2korden gmail.com> writes:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:03:12 +0400, tsalm <tsalm free.fr> wrote:

 Hello,

 Where to find the utility COFF2OMF ?

 Thanks in advance,
 TSalm

This one? ftp://digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip
Oct 15 2008
parent reply tsalm <tsalm free.fr> writes:
Le Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:08:51 +0200, Denis Koroskin <2korden gmail.com> a  
écrit:

 On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:03:12 +0400, tsalm <tsalm free.fr> wrote:

 Hello,

 Where to find the utility COFF2OMF ?

 Thanks in advance,
 TSalm

This one? ftp://digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip

Thanks. I'm trying the command line : c:\DMD\dmd\lib\Nouveau dossier>coffimplib Uuid.lib Uuid.lib_ Error: not an import library :-( I ever trying to use the LINK.EXE from Microsoft before, and COFFIMPLIB after. But the linker seems to no support the arguments : c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin>link /lib /convert "c:\DMD\dmd\lib\Nouveau dossier\Uuid.Lib" Microsoft (R) Library Manager Version 8.00.50727.42 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. LINK : warning LNK4044: option '/convert' non reconnue ; ignorée Uuid.Lib(msp_i.obj) : warning LNK4221: aucun symbole public trouvé ; les membres archive ne seront pas accessibles Uuid.Lib(mobsync_i.obj) : warning LNK4221: aucun symbole public trouvé ; les membres archive ne seront pas accessibles ** Translation : c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin>link /lib /convert "c:\DMD\dmd\lib\Nouveau dossier\Uuid.Lib" Microsoft (R) Library Manager Version 8.00.50727.42 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. LINK : warning LNK4044: option '/convert' not recognized ; ignored Uuid.Lib(msp_i.obj) : warning LNK4221: no public symbol foound  ; the archive members won't be reachable Uuid.Lib(mobsync_i.obj) : warning LNK4221: no public symbol found ; the archive members won't be reachable
Oct 15 2008
next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Hello TSalm,

 Le Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:08:51 +0200, Denis Koroskin <2korden gmail.com>
 a  écrit:
 
 On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:03:12 +0400, tsalm <tsalm free.fr> wrote:
 
 Hello,
 
 Where to find the utility COFF2OMF ?
 
 Thanks in advance,
 TSalm

ftp://digitalmars.com/coffimplib.zip

I'm trying the command line : c:\DMD\dmd\lib\Nouveau dossier>coffimplib Uuid.lib Uuid.lib_ Error: not an import library :-(

Is Uuid.lib an import library? It doesn't look like it. If it's a static library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the coffimplib or coff2omf tools. -JJR
Oct 15 2008
prev sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley gmail.com> writes:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM, John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> wrote:

 Is Uuid.lib an import library?  It doesn't look like it.  If it's a static
 library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the coffimplib or
 coff2omf tools.

..which is, incidentally, what he was looking for in the first place ;) Unfortunately coff2omf is not free, you have to buy the $15 Extended Utilities Package to get it.
Oct 15 2008
parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Hello Jarrett,

 On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM, John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com>
 wrote:
 
 Is Uuid.lib an import library?  It doesn't look like it.  If it's a
 static library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the
 coffimplib or coff2omf tools.
 

;)

Oh right. :)
 Unfortunately coff2omf is not free, you have to buy the $15 Extended
 Utilities Package to get it.
 

My point was that I don't think he'll have success even with coff2omf on a static library. A micrsoft compiled library in coff format is not likely (unless it be very simple...eg created with assembler) to work with digitalmars compiler even once it's converted to omf format (although I expect coff2omf to fail before it even gets to there). I've searched for tools that do this; and there are a few out there, but most of them give disclaimers describing why object conversion (from system to system) is likely to fail. That is, the tool might succeed in the conversion, but the resulting library might be prove non-functional. Naturally, I could be wrong here... and would be excited to find out that I was. :) See this link: http://www.agner.org/optimize/ On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc). The manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well. On page 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion problems when trying to convert a library from one object format to another. Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool, which is free. :) -JJR
Oct 15 2008
next sibling parent reply Don <nospam nospam.com.au> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Hello Jarrett,
 
 On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM, John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com>
 wrote:

 Is Uuid.lib an import library?  It doesn't look like it.  If it's a
 static library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the
 coffimplib or coff2omf tools.

;)

Oh right. :)
 Unfortunately coff2omf is not free, you have to buy the $15 Extended
 Utilities Package to get it.

My point was that I don't think he'll have success even with coff2omf on a static library. A micrsoft compiled library in coff format is not likely (unless it be very simple...eg created with assembler) to work with digitalmars compiler even once it's converted to omf format (although I expect coff2omf to fail before it even gets to there). I've searched for tools that do this; and there are a few out there, but most of them give disclaimers describing why object conversion (from system to system) is likely to fail. That is, the tool might succeed in the conversion, but the resulting library might be prove non-functional. Naturally, I could be wrong here... and would be excited to find out that I was. :) See this link: http://www.agner.org/optimize/ On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc). The manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well. On page 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion problems when trying to convert a library from one object format to another. Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool, which is free. :) -JJR

C3. I'm pretty sure the difficult work was done in the DDL project.
Oct 16 2008
next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Hello Don,

 John Reimer wrote:
 
 Hello Jarrett,
 
 On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM, John Reimer
 <terminal.node gmail.com> wrote:
 
 Is Uuid.lib an import library?  It doesn't look like it.  If it's a
 static library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the
 coffimplib or coff2omf tools.
 

;)

 Unfortunately coff2omf is not free, you have to buy the $15 Extended
 Utilities Package to get it.
 

on a static library. A micrsoft compiled library in coff format is not likely (unless it be very simple...eg created with assembler) to work with digitalmars compiler even once it's converted to omf format (although I expect coff2omf to fail before it even gets to there). I've searched for tools that do this; and there are a few out there, but most of them give disclaimers describing why object conversion (from system to system) is likely to fail. That is, the tool might succeed in the conversion, but the resulting library might be prove non-functional. Naturally, I could be wrong here... and would be excited to find out that I was. :) See this link: http://www.agner.org/optimize/ On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc). The manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well. On page 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion problems when trying to convert a library from one object format to another. Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool, which is free. :) -JJR

C3. I'm pretty sure the difficult work was done in the DDL project.

Does DDL support omf currently? I'll have to check that. If I recall correctly, DDL is still waiting to support coff, correct? -JJR
Oct 16 2008
prev sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley gmail.com> writes:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:45 AM, John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> wrote:
 Hello Don,

 John Reimer wrote:

 Hello Jarrett,

 On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM, John Reimer
 <terminal.node gmail.com> wrote:

 Is Uuid.lib an import library?  It doesn't look like it.  If it's a
 static library, you won't be able to convert it to omf with the
 coffimplib or coff2omf tools.

;)

 Unfortunately coff2omf is not free, you have to buy the $15 Extended
 Utilities Package to get it.

on a static library. A micrsoft compiled library in coff format is not likely (unless it be very simple...eg created with assembler) to work with digitalmars compiler even once it's converted to omf format (although I expect coff2omf to fail before it even gets to there). I've searched for tools that do this; and there are a few out there, but most of them give disclaimers describing why object conversion (from system to system) is likely to fail. That is, the tool might succeed in the conversion, but the resulting library might be prove non-functional. Naturally, I could be wrong here... and would be excited to find out that I was. :) See this link: http://www.agner.org/optimize/ On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc). The manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well. On page 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion problems when trying to convert a library from one object format to another. Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool, which is free. :) -JJR

C3. I'm pretty sure the difficult work was done in the DDL project.

Does DDL support omf currently? I'll have to check that. If I recall correctly, DDL is still waiting to support coff, correct?

OMF is all it supports right now.
Oct 16 2008
prev sibling parent reply tsalm <tsalm free.fr> writes:
Le Thu, 16 Oct 2008 06:30:51 +0200, John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com>  
a écrit:

 See this link:

 http://www.agner.org/optimize/

 On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of  
 converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc).  The  
 manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well.  On page  
 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion problems  
 when trying to convert a library from one object format to another.

 Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool, which  
 is free. :)

Your link is awesome : "Object File Converter" seems converting Uuid.lib without problem. thanks!
Oct 16 2008
parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Hello TSalm,

 Le Thu, 16 Oct 2008 06:30:51 +0200, John Reimer
 <terminal.node gmail.com>  a écrit:
 
 See this link:
 
 http://www.agner.org/optimize/
 
 On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of
 converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc).  The
 manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well.  On page
 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion
 problems  when trying to convert a library from one object format to
 another.
 
 Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool,
 which  is free. :)
 

Uuid.lib without problem. thanks!

Woah! Great! I didn't think it possible. :-) I apologize for a little pessimism here: did the converted uui.lib link properly too? -JJR
Oct 16 2008
parent tsalm <tsalm free.fr> writes:
Le Fri, 17 Oct 2008 05:29:32 +0200, John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com>  
a écrit:

 Hello TSalm,

 Le Thu, 16 Oct 2008 06:30:51 +0200, John Reimer
 <terminal.node gmail.com>  a écrit:

 See this link:
  http://www.agner.org/optimize/
  On the same page is a object file converter tool that is capable of
 converting across all sorts of formats (elf, coff, omf, etc).  The
 manual for the tool may be downloaded from the site as well.  On page
 15-17 of that manual, it describes why there will be conversion
 problems  when trying to convert a library from one object format to
 another.
  Incidently, maybe the OP can make use of the above mentioned tool,
 which  is free. :)

Uuid.lib without problem. thanks!

Woah! Great! I didn't think it possible. :-) I apologize for a little pessimism here: did the converted uui.lib link properly too? -JJR

mmmh, there's still some warning when converting(see below), but I do not have any warning or error when linking with it. I also note that what "objconv" can't convert,"coffimplib" can , and reciprocally ^_^ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 objconv -fomf Uuid.Lib  
 Uuid.Lib_

Input library: Uuid.Lib, Format: COFF, Output: Uuid.Lib_, Format: OMF Warning 1060: Different alignments specified for same segment, .rdata. Using highest alignment Warning 1215: More than 251 blocks required in symbol hash table. May fail with some linkers Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IEnumSyncItems defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsyncp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncSchedule defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsyncp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IEnumSyncSchedules defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsyncp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncScheduleMgr defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsyncp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _CLSID_SyncMgr defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsync_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncMgrRegister defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsync_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncMgrSynchronizeInvoke defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsync_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncMgrEnumItems defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsync_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncMgrSynchronizeCallback defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsync_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ISyncMgrSynchronize defined in both modules syncmgr_i.obj and mobsync_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IActiveIMMApp defined in both modules mshtml_i.obj and dimm_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ITMSPAddress defined in both modules tapi3_i.obj and msp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ITPluggableTerminalEventSinkRegistration defined in both modules tapi3_i.obj and msp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_ITPluggableTerminalEventSink defined in both modules tapi3_i.obj and msp_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IEnumExtraSearch defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellFolder2 defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellView2 defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IRemoteComputer defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellLinkW defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IEnumIDList defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellLinkA defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IPersistFolder defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellPropSheetExt defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellExtInit defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellFolder defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellView defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IShellBrowser defined in both modules shguids.obj and shobjidl_i.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _LIBID_Accessibility defined in both modules oleacc_i.obj and ieguids.obj Warning 1214: Symbol _IID_IAccessible defined in both modules oleacc_i.obj and ieguids.obj 4141 Debug sections removed 1 Exception sections removed ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ -- Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera : http://www.opera.com/mail/
Oct 17 2008