www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - What other than a pointer can be converted implicitly to const(char)*?

reply Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_dont_spam_me gmail.com> writes:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/conv.d#L878

The `static if` condition here says if something is a pointer and if it is 
implicitly convertible to const(char)*. The isPointer! part seems 
superfluous. Is there something that is not a pointer yet implicitly 
convertible to const(char)*?

-- 
Shriramana Sharma, Penguin #395953
Dec 21 2015
parent reply anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 21.12.2015 17:02, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/conv.d#L878

 The `static if` condition here says if something is a pointer and if it is
 implicitly convertible to const(char)*. The isPointer! part seems
 superfluous. Is there something that is not a pointer yet implicitly
 convertible to const(char)*?
A struct/class with an `alias this` to a `const(char)*`: ---- import std.traits: isPointer; struct S { const(char)* ptr; alias ptr this; } static assert(!isPointer!S && is(S : const(char)*)); /* passes */ ----
Dec 21 2015
parent reply Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 12/21/15 12:03 PM, anonymous wrote:
 On 21.12.2015 17:02, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
 https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/conv.d#L878


 The `static if` condition here says if something is a pointer and if
 it is
 implicitly convertible to const(char)*. The isPointer! part seems
 superfluous. Is there something that is not a pointer yet implicitly
 convertible to const(char)*?
A struct/class with an `alias this` to a `const(char)*`: ---- import std.traits: isPointer; struct S { const(char)* ptr; alias ptr this; } static assert(!isPointer!S && is(S : const(char)*)); /* passes */ ----
This seems like an incorrect feature then. Why wouldn't I want S to be treated like any other const(char)*? Seems like it's explicitly saying "treat this like a const(char)*" -Steve
Dec 21 2015
parent reply anonymous <anonymous example.com> writes:
On 21.12.2015 21:20, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
 This seems like an incorrect feature then. Why wouldn't I want S to be
 treated like any other const(char)*? Seems like it's explicitly saying
 "treat this like a const(char)*"
To my understanding, `alias this` means "is implicitly convertible to X", and not "is the same thing as X". That is, `is(S == const(char)*)` is false, but `is(S : const(char)*)` is true. It makes sense to me that isPointer behaves like the `==` variant. And for sure, the `alias this` doesn't make S interchangeable with a pointer. S may have a different size, the pointer may not be at a zero offset in S, etc. For the phobos code in question it comes down to what's less surprising, I guess. Having such an `alias this` resolved before stringification, or not. I'm not sure.
Dec 21 2015
parent Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy yahoo.com> writes:
On 12/21/15 3:47 PM, anonymous wrote:
 On 21.12.2015 21:20, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
 This seems like an incorrect feature then. Why wouldn't I want S to be
 treated like any other const(char)*? Seems like it's explicitly saying
 "treat this like a const(char)*"
To my understanding, `alias this` means "is implicitly convertible to X", and not "is the same thing as X". That is, `is(S == const(char)*)` is false, but `is(S : const(char)*)` is true. It makes sense to me that isPointer behaves like the `==` variant. And for sure, the `alias this` doesn't make S interchangeable with a pointer. S may have a different size, the pointer may not be at a zero offset in S, etc.
I'm not saying that isPointer should return true, I'm saying that it shouldn't be used here.
 For the phobos code in question it comes down to what's less surprising,
 I guess. Having such an `alias this` resolved before stringification, or
 not. I'm not sure.
I think the issue here is the way the code determines it should use std.format. My preference is: 1. if the struct defines toString, then use std.format which will call that. 2. else if the struct aliases itself to some other type handled here, use that branch 3. else, use std.format anyway, and whatever happens happens. -Steve
Dec 21 2015