www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - Specify dmd or ldc compiler and version in a json dub file?

reply data pulverizer <data.pulverizer gmail.com> writes:
Hi,

I would like to know how to specify dmd or ldc compiler and 
version in a json dub file.

Thanks in advance.
Aug 08
parent reply Moritz Maxeiner <moritz ucworks.org> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:17:02 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
 Hi,

 I would like to know how to specify dmd or ldc compiler and 
 version in a json dub file.

 Thanks in advance.
You can't [1]. You can specify the compiler to use only on the dub command line via `--compiler=`. [1] https://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=json
Aug 08
parent reply data pulverizer <data.pulverizer gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:21:54 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:17:02 UTC, data pulverizer 
 wrote:
 Hi,

 I would like to know how to specify dmd or ldc compiler and 
 version in a json dub file.

 Thanks in advance.
You can't [1]. You can specify the compiler to use only on the dub command line via `--compiler=`. [1] https://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=json
How do you distribute packages with specific compiler dependencies? I guess I could write it in the readme.
Aug 08
parent reply Moritz Maxeiner <moritz ucworks.org> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:31:49 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:21:54 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner 
 wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:17:02 UTC, data pulverizer 
 wrote:
 Hi,

 I would like to know how to specify dmd or ldc compiler and 
 version in a json dub file.

 Thanks in advance.
You can't [1]. You can specify the compiler to use only on the dub command line via `--compiler=`. [1] https://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=json
How do you distribute packages with specific compiler dependencies? I guess I could write it in the readme.
If your code depends on capabilities of a specific D compiler, I wouldn't depend on build tools for that, I'd make it clear in the source code via conditional compilation [1]: --- version (DigitalMars) { } else version (LDC) { } else { static assert (0, "Unsupported D compiler"); } --- There's no equivalent for the frontend version, though AFAIK. If it's not your code that needs something compiler specific, but you just want to control which is used, don't use dub as a build tool, use another (cmake, meson, write your own compilation "script" in D), and set it's invocation as a prebuildcommand in the dub package file (make sure dub's source file list is empty). [1] http://dlang.org/spec/version.html#predefined-versions
Aug 08
parent reply data pulverizer <data.pulverizer gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:51:40 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
 If your code depends on capabilities of a specific D compiler, 
 I wouldn't depend on build tools for that, I'd make it clear in 
 the source code via conditional compilation [1]:

 ---
 version (DigitalMars)
 {
 }
 else version (LDC)
 {
 }
 else
 {
     static assert (0, "Unsupported D compiler");
 }
 ---

 There's no equivalent for the frontend version, though AFAIK.

 If it's not your code that needs something compiler specific, 
 but you just want to control which is used, don't use dub as a 
 build tool, use another (cmake, meson, write your own 
 compilation "script" in D), and set it's invocation as a 
 prebuildcommand in the dub package file (make sure dub's source 
 file list is empty).

 [1] http://dlang.org/spec/version.html#predefined-versions
Many thanks!
Aug 08
parent Joakim <dlang joakim.fea.st> writes:
On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 10:07:54 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
 On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 09:51:40 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner 
 wrote:
 If your code depends on capabilities of a specific D compiler, 
 I wouldn't depend on build tools for that, I'd make it clear 
 in the source code via conditional compilation [1]:

 ---
 version (DigitalMars)
 {
 }
 else version (LDC)
 {
 }
 else
 {
     static assert (0, "Unsupported D compiler");
 }
 ---

 There's no equivalent for the frontend version, though AFAIK.

 If it's not your code that needs something compiler specific, 
 but you just want to control which is used, don't use dub as a 
 build tool, use another (cmake, meson, write your own 
 compilation "script" in D), and set it's invocation as a 
 prebuildcommand in the dub package file (make sure dub's 
 source file list is empty).

 [1] http://dlang.org/spec/version.html#predefined-versions
Many thanks!
I'll note that you can specify that dub use a particular D compiler for building all your own D packages, by creating a file called .dub/settings.json in your home directory, and putting the full path to the compiler you want in there, like so: { "defaultCompiler": "/home/datapulverizer/ldc-1.3/bin/ldc2" } Ldc uses a file like that to make sure the dub binary it comes with uses ldc, not dmd, so you can look at that file for an example. However, it sounds like you want to ensure that all users of a package are forced to use a particular D compiler, while this will just make sure that your dub binary will always use the D compiler you want.
Aug 08