www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - Good GUI for newbie

reply Hans Bogar <Hans.Bogar xs4all.nl> writes:
I have written a lot of programs in Powerbasic. Recently I switch to D.
What GUI can you recommend for a newbie? 

I'm working mostly with Linux. I've looked at GtkD, Minwin and wxd. Are
there any other GUI's for Linux available? 

For a newbie like me, it is important to have some examples. 
What do you recommend?

Thanks.
Hans
Feb 15 2007
next sibling parent reply Marcin Kuszczak <aarti interia.pl> writes:
Hans Bogar wrote:

 I have written a lot of programs in Powerbasic. Recently I switch to D.
 What GUI can you recommend for a newbie?
 
 I'm working mostly with Linux. I've looked at GtkD, Minwin and wxd. Are
 there any other GUI's for Linux available?
 
 For a newbie like me, it is important to have some examples.
 What do you recommend?
 
 Thanks.
 Hans

Not much more at the moment... We are waiting for finishing Java SWT port to D... See: www.dsource.org/projects/tioport -- Regards Marcin Kuszczak (Aarti_pl) ------------------------------------- Ask me why I believe in Jesus - http://zapytaj.dlajezusa.pl (en/pl) Doost (port of few Boost libraries) - http://www.dsource.org/projects/doost/ -------------------------------------
Feb 16 2007
parent reply Hans Bogar <Hans.Bogar xs4all.nl> writes:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:08:59 +0100, Marcin Kuszczak wrote:

 Hans Bogar wrote:
 
 I have written a lot of programs in Powerbasic. Recently I switch to D.
 What GUI can you recommend for a newbie?
 
 I'm working mostly with Linux. I've looked at GtkD, Minwin and wxd. Are
 there any other GUI's for Linux available?
 
 For a newbie like me, it is important to have some examples.
 What do you recommend?
 
 Thanks.
 Hans

Not much more at the moment... We are waiting for finishing Java SWT port to D... See: www.dsource.org/projects/tioport

That's also what I thought. But is there a suitable GUI for the windows available?
Feb 16 2007
next sibling parent KlausO <oberhofer users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Hans Bogar schrieb:
 That's also what I thought. But is there a suitable GUI for the windows
 available?

Have a look at Wiki4D for an overview: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?AvailableGuiLibraries
Feb 16 2007
prev sibling next sibling parent Marcin Kuszczak <aarti interia.pl> writes:
Hans Bogar wrote:

 o what I thought. But is there a suitable GUI for the windows
 available?

There is working port of SWT --> DWT http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt I am using it under Windows with DMD 1.0. I don't know if it works with newer compilers - I did not test them... -- Regards Marcin Kuszczak (Aarti_pl) ------------------------------------- Ask me why I believe in Jesus - http://zapytaj.dlajezusa.pl (en/pl) Doost (port of few Boost libraries) - http://www.dsource.org/projects/doost/ -------------------------------------
Feb 16 2007
prev sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Hans Bogar" <Hans.Bogar xs4all.nl> wrote in message 
news:pan.2007.02.17.00.54.36.688269 xs4all.nl...

 That's also what I thought. But is there a suitable GUI for the windows
 available?

DFL is really nice. It should be on that Wiki page.
Feb 16 2007
prev sibling parent reply jicman <cabrera__ __wrc.xerox.com> writes:
The easiest GUI ever is DFL.

http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php

With Entice, it has been so easy for me to get into Windows.  I have
started using it at my company and they are really impressed.  It
kicks .net posterior, but it is still very hard to get management to
start thinking about d.  But, soon or later.

jicman
Feb 19 2007
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
jicman wrote:
 The easiest GUI ever is DFL.
 
 http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php
 
 With Entice, it has been so easy for me to get into Windows.  I have
 started using it at my company and they are really impressed.  It
 kicks .net posterior, but it is still very hard to get management to
 start thinking about d.  But, soon or later.
 
 jicman

I downloaded the snapshot but I get this with Helloworld: F:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\packages\dfl\examples>dfl -gui -release helloworld f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\dmd.exe -release helloworld -version=DFL_EXE -If:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\import -L/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe helloworld,,,f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib+user32+kernel32/noi/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0; OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 7.50B1 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001 All Rights Reserved f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib(application) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D3dfl8internal4dlib15getObjectStringFC6ObjectZAa --- errorlevel 1 Is that the DMD bug that's mentioned on the DFL pages? --bb
Feb 19 2007
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:
 jicman wrote:
 The easiest GUI ever is DFL.

 http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php

 With Entice, it has been so easy for me to get into Windows.  I have
 started using it at my company and they are really impressed.  It
 kicks .net posterior, but it is still very hard to get management to
 start thinking about d.  But, soon or later.

 jicman

I downloaded the snapshot but I get this with Helloworld: F:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\packages\dfl\examples>dfl -gui -release helloworld f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\dmd.exe -release helloworld -version=DFL_EXE -If:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\import -L/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe helloworld,,,f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib+user32+kernel32/noi/exe :nt/su:windows:4.0; OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 7.50B1 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001 All Rights Reserved f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib(application) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D3dfl8internal4dlib15getObjectStringFC6ObjectZAa --- errorlevel 1 Is that the DMD bug that's mentioned on the DFL pages? --bb

To answer my own question -- turns out that the issue is that makelib.bat is missing internal/dlib.d in the list of d files, and dlib.obj in the list of d objects. --bb
Feb 20 2007
parent reply "Chris Miller" <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:15:21 -0500, Bill Baxter  =

<dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> wrote:

 Bill Baxter wrote:
 jicman wrote:
 The easiest GUI ever is DFL.

 http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php

 With Entice, it has been so easy for me to get into Windows.  I have=



 started using it at my company and they are really impressed.  It
 kicks .net posterior, but it is still very hard to get management to=



 start thinking about d.  But, soon or later.

 jicman

F:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\packages\dfl\examples>dfl -gui -release hellowo=


 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\dmd.exe -release helloworld -version=3DDFL_E=


 -If:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\import -L/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0  =


 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib
 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe  =


 helloworld,,,f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib+user32+kernel32/noi/exe=


  OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 7.50B1
 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001  All Rights Reserved
 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib(application)
  Error 42: Symbol Undefined  =


 _D3dfl8internal4dlib15getObjectStringFC6ObjectZAa
 --- errorlevel 1
   Is that the DMD bug that's mentioned on the DFL pages?
  --bb

To answer my own question -- turns out that the issue is that =

 makelib.bat is missing internal/dlib.d in the list of d files, and  =

 dlib.obj in the list of d objects.

 --bb

Did you end up getting it working? I think there has been another snapsh= ot = release since this message.
Feb 26 2007
parent reply Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> writes:
Chris Miller wrote:
 On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:15:21 -0500, Bill Baxter 
 <dnewsgroup billbaxter.com> wrote:
 
 Bill Baxter wrote:
 jicman wrote:
 The easiest GUI ever is DFL.

 http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php

 With Entice, it has been so easy for me to get into Windows.  I have
 started using it at my company and they are really impressed.  It
 kicks .net posterior, but it is still very hard to get management to
 start thinking about d.  But, soon or later.

 jicman

F:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\packages\dfl\examples>dfl -gui -release helloworld f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\dmd.exe -release helloworld -version=DFL_EXE -If:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\import -L/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0 f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe helloworld,,,f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib+user32+kernel32/noi/exe :nt/su:windows:4.0; OPTLINK (R) for Win32 Release 7.50B1 Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989 - 2001 All Rights Reserved f:\usr\pkg\Dlang\dmd\lib\dfl.lib(application) Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D3dfl8internal4dlib15getObjectStringFC6ObjectZAa --- errorlevel 1 Is that the DMD bug that's mentioned on the DFL pages? --bb

To answer my own question -- turns out that the issue is that makelib.bat is missing internal/dlib.d in the list of d files, and dlib.obj in the list of d objects. --bb

Did you end up getting it working? I think there has been another snapshot release since this message.

Yeh, it links fine when dlib is added to the list of files to compile & link. Thanks. I still think it would be nice if the standard dialogs could be used separately from the rest of MinWin. But I can apply my 5 line q&d patch to make it work for now. --bb
Feb 26 2007
parent Tomas Lindquist Olsen <tomas famolsen.dk> writes:
Bill Baxter wrote:

 I still think it would be nice if the standard dialogs could be used
 separately from the rest of MinWin.  But I can apply my 5 line q&d patch
 to make it work for now.
 
 --bb

Maybe a small cross os dialog lib should be produced? minwin could easily provide the base code. MinWin needs a lot of work before it's really usable (and stable), but this might be something that could be done quickly.
Feb 27 2007