www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - DMD win32 static library link errors

reply Neal Alexander <wqeqweuqy hotmail.com> writes:
link.exe (Assertion failure: 'len <= IDMAX' on line 129 in file
'libin.cpp')

I saw on the C++ newsgroup it happens when identifiers are too long in 
an object file. The question is whats the best way igure out which ID is 
causing it? All the symbols in the source code are nowhere near the 512 
limit.

I tried playing with the dmd/objdump tool but diddnt diddnt see anything 
  glancing over the output.
Jan 07 2008
parent reply Robert DaSilva <sp.unit.262+digitalmars gmail.com> writes:
Neal Alexander wrote:
 link.exe (Assertion failure: 'len <= IDMAX' on line 129 in file
 'libin.cpp')
 
 I saw on the C++ newsgroup it happens when identifiers are too long in
 an object file. The question is whats the best way igure out which ID is
 causing it? All the symbols in the source code are nowhere near the 512
 limit.
 
 I tried playing with the dmd/objdump tool but diddnt diddnt see anything
  glancing over the output.

Do you have any templates, they tend to have long mangled names. It could also be a deeply nested identifier.
Jan 07 2008
parent reply Neal Alexander <wqeqweuqy hotmail.com> writes:
Robert DaSilva wrote:
 Neal Alexander wrote:
 link.exe (Assertion failure: 'len <= IDMAX' on line 129 in file
 'libin.cpp')

 I saw on the C++ newsgroup it happens when identifiers are too long in
 an object file. The question is whats the best way igure out which ID is
 causing it? All the symbols in the source code are nowhere near the 512
 limit.

 I tried playing with the dmd/objdump tool but diddnt diddnt see anything
  glancing over the output.

Do you have any templates, they tend to have long mangled names. It could also be a deeply nested identifier.

Yea its a mixin template causing it im pretty sure. I tried making identifiers 1-2 chars long but it doesnt help. http://paste.dprogramming.com/dpfxrbb1 If youre interested. The point of the code is to transparently wrap 32/64bit structs and endian conversion. It uses a proxy struct with enum indexing and offset/size tables.
Jan 08 2008
parent Neal Alexander <wqeqweuqy hotmail.com> writes:
Neal Alexander wrote:
 Robert DaSilva wrote:
 Neal Alexander wrote:
 link.exe (Assertion failure: 'len <= IDMAX' on line 129 in file
 'libin.cpp')

 I saw on the C++ newsgroup it happens when identifiers are too long in
 an object file. The question is whats the best way igure out which ID is
 causing it? All the symbols in the source code are nowhere near the 512
 limit.

 I tried playing with the dmd/objdump tool but diddnt diddnt see anything
  glancing over the output.

Do you have any templates, they tend to have long mangled names. It could also be a deeply nested identifier.

Yea its a mixin template causing it im pretty sure. I tried making identifiers 1-2 chars long but it doesnt help. http://paste.dprogramming.com/dpfxrbb1 If youre interested. The point of the code is to transparently wrap 32/64bit structs and endian conversion. It uses a proxy struct with enum indexing and offset/size tables.

Ok so, obj2asm.exe gave much more useful output. It turns out the length of a mixin string affects the symbol names generated. __body__ generated a 750 byte identifier: extrn _D14reflect_txtgen3635__T8ÙbodyéVG4yaa4_45686472VA€„8€„c6633325f€ˆœ2a2078€”š3b€‡–É4€—°€š3b€…è1746_656e7Ùd€ƒ¬bÙ655f74797€ƒŠ2c€„Ž6d61€ƒ¿8696e€ˆ”76é7273€ƒ”f6e€‡¨€„È€ƒÜ79€‡¤0€ƒ´f66ɀ‡€„Ä€‹€ƒ‰ù16773€‰À8€„Ò7a€‰æ€„€†Ö€’˜†´€ŠÚ€”¨€„˜€¨Ù„¤ƒÊé82c7d3b€„’6‚„Š963‚ƒ€3„Ò€„”‚ƒ5†´ƒÔ45b5‚„¢‚ƒÄ€‰ä03€ƒ’5‚ˆúƒŽª€ƒÂ€†¦„ò2cƒ•ž€¤5­Œ†‚†Ð€ƒš5€„¤†š”ƒÜe€Œ¼¦€“¶„„€­¼„¬€®ø„ŠÔ€®ô„Šü€®¸…Š¤®¨…ŠÌ°à…Šô²â…Žô€²À††œ‚²¢€¼ø‡Š”€±¸‡¼€“¾†ƒ’Ù…ˆü†ì…§ü€“¶…©ü€”ò…¨ü€”ø…¤ü€”ô…¤ü€”¸…¤ü” …¤ü–à…¤ü˜â…¨„€˜À… „‚˜¢€¼ø…¤ü€—¸…¥üd3b€„¨61Ú96320€ƒÏ„ƒø€„”2075ƒ†â„ƒÒ45b5dۀƒ– Ê03€ƒŽ5bۇ›††‰Â€ˆ¸‡ ¸†¾€¨¸†º€©ð†‹¶€©ì†‹²€©´†‹®©œ†‹ª«Ð†‹¦­Ò…ª€­¼…‡¦‚­Ž€¸ð†‹–€¬´†Ž’€Žº†…Ž…ˆÈ†” …žÈ€“²…¥È€”ꅤȀ”ð… Ȁ”ì… Ȁ”´… ȁ”œ… ȁ–Ð… ȁ˜Ò„¤Ø€˜¼„œØ‚˜Ž€¸ð… Ȁ—´…¡Èd3bZ8__bodyéxAya Splitting up the struct definition into smaller const char[] variables and concatenating them in __body__ fixed it (making each their own template crashes DMD).
Jan 08 2008