digitalmars.D.learn - std.stream question

reply "chojin" <someone somewhere.com> writes:
Eck. I am about to pull my hair out. I've been using D for 3 days now and
can't even get text input on the console going. The first 2 were tied up
trying to find a usable decent IDE solution.... others ironing out senseless
bugs with no documentation... and I have a computer science degree! Anyway I
feel like I could have a big rant but I'll get to the point.

I can compile most things just fine, but due to lack of finding decent
documentation for scanf I switched over to streams, which seem MUCH nicer...
but whenever I try to use them I get errors.

Currently trying to use streams using this sample code I got from dsource:

import std.stream;
import std.string;

int main()
{
    char[] input;
    char[] output;

    // Ask for a string
    std.stream.stdout.writeLine("Converts a lowercase string to
uppercase.");
    std.stream.stdout.writeLine("Please enter a string:");
    input = std.stream.stdin.readLine();

    // Convert to upper and print it
    output = input.toupper();
    std.stream.stdout.writeLine(output);

    return 0;
}

And consistently, when using build.exe or dmake or dmd or whatever, I
recieve this output:

dmd.exe
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d -debug -g -c -unittest
-w -version=OLE_COM

C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): no property
'writeLine' for type 'void'
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): function expected
before (), not 1 of type int
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): no property
'writeLine' for type 'void'
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): function expected
before (), not 1 of type int
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(12): undefined
identifier module stream.stdin
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(12): undefined
identifier module stream.stdin

Any ideas? I am using the latest dmd.exe and dmc linker tools, etc. I am
stumped...

regards,
Rob
Aug 04 2006
next sibling parent reply Chris Nicholson-Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
chojin wrote:
 Eck. I am about to pull my hair out. I've been using D for 3 days now and
 can't even get text input on the console going. The first 2 were tied up
 trying to find a usable decent IDE solution.... others ironing out senseless
 bugs with no documentation... and I have a computer science degree! Anyway I
 feel like I could have a big rant but I'll get to the point.

 I can compile most things just fine, but due to lack of finding decent
 documentation for scanf I switched over to streams, which seem MUCH nicer...
 but whenever I try to use them I get errors.

 Currently trying to use streams using this sample code I got from dsource:

... code here ...

 And consistently, when using build.exe or dmake or dmd or whatever, I
 recieve this output:

 dmd.exe
 C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d -debug -g -c -unittest
 -w -version=OLE_COM

 C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): undefined
 identifier module stream.stdout
 identifier module stream.stdin
... etc ...

 Any ideas? I am using the latest dmd.exe and dmc linker tools, etc. I am
 stumped...

 regards,
 Rob

Well the answer is simple: the example is outdated. Guess I know something I need to fix. ^_^'' The following should be the way to do it with "modern" D. import std.cstream : din, dout ; import std.string : toupper ; int main () { char[] input , output ; // Ask for a string dout.writeLine("Converts a lowercase string to uppercase."); dout.writeLine("Please enter a string:"); input = din.readLine(); // Convert to upper and print it output = input.toupper(); dout.writeLine(output); return 0; } The 'std*' streams are no longer in module 'std.stream' as far as I know. Their roles were usurped by module 'std.cstream' a little ways back, which defines them as instances of the class 'std.cstream.CFile:Stream' and with the names 'din', 'dout', and 'derr'. -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
Aug 04 2006
parent reply "chojin" <someone somewhere.com> writes:
"Chris Nicholson-Sauls" <ibisbasenji gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eav41r$2ndq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Well the answer is simple: the example is outdated.  Guess I know
 something I need to fix. ^_^''  The following should be the way to do it
 with "modern" D.
THANKYOU! Worked immediately. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the problem with D is, of no fault of their own, the community... it seems like everything gets obfuscated and diluted because so many people seem to be putting their 'bit' into it. I must have found six eclipse plugins and by the end of trying to trail which one was the latest I ended up just using batch files and scite. Also, no sign of a simple reference...? The one on digitalmars.com is just a list of function prototypes - what use is that unless you already know the function? The beauty of something like java (which, I don't use, so I'm not some zealot) is that (for console based stuff) there's ONE basic way to output text (System.out.println). It doesn't change and it's reliable. I know D is a young language but unless there's a simple way for newcomers to just download everything they need without DAYS of research, nobody but the most hardcore will use it. Just my input as a newcomer.
Aug 04 2006
parent Robert Atkinson <Robert.Atkinson.NO SPAM.gmail.com> writes:
chojin wrote:
  > The beauty of something like java (which, I don't use, so I'm not some
 zealot) is that (for console based stuff) there's ONE basic way to output
 text (System.out.println). It doesn't change and it's reliable. I know D is
 a young language but unless there's a simple way for newcomers to just
 download everything they need without DAYS of research, nobody but the most
 hardcore will use it.

 Just my input as a newcomer.
I remember when I was just entering University, and the CS department was going on about this "new" language called Java. So along with my courses in C and Fortran, I took the Java course too. The results? We had to download obscure compilers/IDEs for the coursework and the majority of the textbook was just wrong. The course fell apart for 2 or 3 terms until Java (and its community) matured. The morale of the story is that young languages are like the wild west. The rules are constantly being rewritten, and everyone has to build their own ranch house. Java once was where D is now, and someday, people will be complaining that 'E?' is nowhere near as stable as D. However, unlike Java, when something doesn't work in D (mostly due to my own mis-understanding), I just write it in C and keep on trucking. When Java was borked, you were stuck in Java and all its limitations. R
Aug 06 2006
prev sibling parent Derek <derek psyc.ward> writes:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:49:53 +1000, chojin wrote:

[...]

When working with stdin/stdou/stderr you need to use the std.cstream module... import std.cstream; import std.string; int main() { char[] input; char[] output; // Ask for a string std.cstream.dout.writeLine("Converts a lowercase string to uppercase."); std.cstream.dout.writeLine("Please enter a string:"); input = std.cstream.din.readLine(); // Convert to upper and print it output = input.toupper(); std.cstream.dout.writeLine(output); return 0; } ---- Here is the output I get... c:\temp>type test.d import std.cstream; import std.string; int main() { char[] input; char[] output; // Ask for a string std.cstream.dout.writeLine("Converts a lowercase string to uppercase."); std.cstream.dout.writeLine("Please enter a string:"); input = std.cstream.din.readLine(); // Convert to upper and print it output = input.toupper(); std.cstream.dout.writeLine(output); return 0; } c:\temp>build test Path and Version : z:\util\build.exe v3.02(2207) built on Sat Jun 24 00:44:57 2006 c:\temp>test Converts a lowercase string to uppercase. Please enter a string: kajshdkjhaksdjhakjshdkja KAJSHDKJHAKSDJHAKJSHDKJA c:\temp> -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocrity!"
Aug 04 2006