digitalmars.D.learn - Dsource forum question

reply BCS <BCS pathlink.com> writes:
Is there any way to access the Dsource forum with Thunderbird or another
such client? I couldn't find any indication that phpBB can do this by
its self, but a search for phpBB+nntp turned up indications it is possible:

http://pessoal.org/papercut/
"Papercut is a NNTP server ... The phpBB support should now be
considered stable."
Jun 27 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"BCS" <BCS pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e7rnem$2a12$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is there any way to access the Dsource forum with Thunderbird or another
 such client? I couldn't find any indication that phpBB can do this by its
 self, but a search for phpBB+nntp turned up indications it is possible:
I think the question is: why would you want to? Internet forums came about as an alternative to (ancient, poorly-featured) newsgroups..
Jun 27 2006
parent reply BCS <BCS pathlink.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "BCS" <BCS pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:e7rnem$2a12$2 digitaldaemon.com...

Is there any way to access the Dsource forum with Thunderbird or another
such client? I couldn't find any indication that phpBB can do this by its
self, but a search for phpBB+nntp turned up indications it is possible:
I think the question is: why would you want to? Internet forums came about as an alternative to (ancient, poorly-featured) newsgroups..
Because I hate crawling through web pages. About 90% of the data on the wire is otherwise unneeded formatting, I can't re-brows stuff without re-downloading it. Thunderbird on the other hand stores most of the data locally, downloads little or no extraneous formatting, and even can pop up a notification when new stuff shows up. *I* think the question is: why would anyone /want/ to use the Internet forum? It is now (IMO) the anachronistic, poorly-featured paradigm. If the Dsource forum was accessible as a newsgroup I would read it with great interest. As the only access seems to be by way of an internet forum, I probably won't even bother.
Jun 27 2006
next sibling parent reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
BCS wrote:
 Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

[...]

How about requesting an RSS feed?
Jun 27 2006
next sibling parent BCS <BCS pathlink.com> writes:
kris wrote:
 BCS wrote:

 "BCS" <BCS pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:e7rnem$2a12$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 Is there any way to access the Dsource forum with Thunderbird or
 another such client? I couldn't find any indication that phpBB can
 do this by its self, but a search for phpBB+nntp turned up
 indications it is possible:
 If the Dsource forum was accessible as a newsgroup I would read it
 with great interest. As the only access seems to be by way of an
 internet forum, I probably won't even bother.
How about requesting an RSS feed?
Good Idea! Um... To whom should I direct such a request?
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= <jmjmak utu.fi.invalid> writes:
kris wrote:
 BCS wrote:
 Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

[...]

For version / revision announcements yes, but how would it work with interactive threaded discussion? BTW, Trac even supports RSS to some extend. I think providing support for NG clients would decrease the amount of server bandwidth usage and make the site much faster. Yes, it's now faster than it used to be, but still could be made a bit faster. It's pretty soon slow again, when D gets more popularity. Besides most web browser on Linux suck like a Hoover. :( Only Opera and links are "usable" on my XP 2400+ box. It also seems to be the case that most of the active D users are able to use the ultra modern newsgroup technology even w/o the web interface. ;)
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling parent "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
"BCS" <BCS pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e7rsbd$2a12$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "BCS" <BCS pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:e7rnem$2a12$2 digitaldaemon.com...

Is there any way to access the Dsource forum with Thunderbird or another
such client? I couldn't find any indication that phpBB can do this by its
self, but a search for phpBB+nntp turned up indications it is possible:
I think the question is: why would you want to? Internet forums came about as an alternative to (ancient, poorly-featured) newsgroups..
Because I hate crawling through web pages. About 90% of the data on the wire is otherwise unneeded formatting, I can't re-brows stuff without re-downloading it. Thunderbird on the other hand stores most of the data locally, downloads little or no extraneous formatting, and even can pop up a notification when new stuff shows up.
I agree here. I always prefer clients as opposed to web-based protocols, but especially in the area of forums versus newsgroups or mail lists.
 *I* think the question is: why would anyone /want/ to use the Internet
 forum?  It is now (IMO) the anachronistic, poorly-featured paradigm.
I personally don't see the point of web forums. Besides all the extra content that is often there, you are usually restricted in more ways than just by using a standardized protocol such as but not limited to nntp. IMHO layering message exchange on top of a website and offering no flat standard that opens up the door for other means of interaction is a bad idea.
 If the Dsource forum was accessible as a newsgroup I would read it with
 great interest. As the only access seems to be by way of an internet
 forum, I probably won't even bother.
Same here.
Jun 27 2006