www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - GDC Mac X-compiler

reply BCS <BCS pathlink.com> writes:
Does anyone have a version of GDC mac that will run on x86 running win 
or Linux? I am now working on a (I think) PPC6 board but running a 
compiler on it is not possible. If it is a trivial matter to build GDC 
Mac for x86, just a few pointers to how-to's would be appreciated.
Jun 09 2006
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
BCS wrote:

 Does anyone have a version of GDC mac that will run on x86 running win 
 or Linux? I am now working on a (I think) PPC6 board but running a 
 compiler on it is not possible. If it is a trivial matter to build GDC 
 Mac for x86, just a few pointers to how-to's would be appreciated.

Maybe I am missing something, but why do you want a Mac OS X build for your PPC6 board ? (unless it is already running a Mac OS X - somehow) Do you mean a *PowerPC* cross-compiler ? (which should be feasible to build using the GDC 0.18 release, I think - depending on the target OS) --anders
Jun 09 2006
parent reply BCS <BCS pathlink.com> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 BCS wrote:
 
 Does anyone have a version of GDC mac that will run on x86 running win 
 or Linux? I am now working on a (I think) PPC6 board but running a 
 compiler on it is not possible. If it is a trivial matter to build GDC 
 Mac for x86, just a few pointers to how-to's would be appreciated.

Maybe I am missing something, but why do you want a Mac OS X build for your PPC6 board ? (unless it is already running a Mac OS X - somehow) Do you mean a *PowerPC* cross-compiler ? (which should be feasible to build using the GDC 0.18 release, I think - depending on the target OS) --anders

I known a little more than nothing about Macs and PPC (A.K.A. PowerPC). What I have is an embedded, PPC based, controller board that I am programming on and want to get D code compiled for it. IIRC Macs use PPC and therefor I am assuming that the GDC mac compiler is generating PPC code. However, the only systems available to compile on are x86. So I need a D compiler and associated stuff that will run on an x86 and generate PPC6 ELF files. If I am in error with some of my assumptions, please point them out. If you are still confused as to what I want, don't worry, I now am also.
Jun 09 2006
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
BCS wrote:

 I known a little more than nothing about Macs and PPC (A.K.A. PowerPC).

Ok :-) Macs are now using both PPC (PowerPC) and X86 (Intel), by the way...
 What I have is an embedded, PPC based, controller board that I am 
 programming on and want to get D code compiled for it. IIRC Macs use PPC 
 and therefor I am assuming that the GDC mac compiler is generating PPC 
 code. However, the only systems available to compile on are x86.
 
 So I need a D compiler and associated stuff that will run on an x86 and 
 generate PPC6 ELF files.

I think you will need a PowerPC cross-compiler to whatever OS the board runs (Linux?). The Mac OS X / Darwin GDC versions generate Mach-O files. GDC 0.18 should compile out of the box on PPC Linux, I think David said. You need to set the --target with configure, see GDC docs for details ? --anders
Jun 10 2006
parent BCS <BCS_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e6dt9g$2kp0$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
BCS wrote:


 What I have is an embedded, PPC based, controller board that I am 
 programming on and want to get D code compiled for it. IIRC Macs use PPC 
 and therefor I am assuming that the GDC mac compiler is generating PPC 
 code. However, the only systems available to compile on are x86.
 
 So I need a D compiler and associated stuff that will run on an x86 and 
 generate PPC6 ELF files.

I think you will need a PowerPC cross-compiler to whatever OS the board runs (Linux?).

It a little known RT OS so I couldn't use anything that is OS dependent without re-hacking Phobos internals. But if I can stay away from the GC ("and how hard can that be..." xx-p) a lot of code could fit that bill.
The Mac OS X / Darwin GDC versions generate Mach-O files.

else nothing will load.
GDC 0.18 should compile out of the box on PPC Linux, I think David said.
You need to set the --target with configure, see GDC docs for details ?

Well, what I have access to is x86 Linux and WinXP. So I need something that will run on one of those and produce the needed output (PPC6 as ELF). So if it works under PPC Linux (implying that it can make ELF [??]), that only leaves getting the same thing to compile for an x86 box.
--anders

Jun 10 2006