www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.announce - D multimedia programming - a new website

reply Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Hey everyone,

I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated to 
multimedia development using the D language. It will include information 
about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming and more :)

Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting 
started with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1

If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share, 
you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community :)
In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

// this is a crosspost to D.announce and D.learn


-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O 
!M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Tomasz Stachowiak  /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
next sibling parent reply =?windows-1252?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
h3r3tic wrote:

 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated to 
 multimedia development using the D language. It will include information 
 about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming and more :)

I have some information on how to use SDL and OpenGL "cross-platform" (i.e. including the Macintosh, as well as Windows and Linux platforms) But it doesn't use DMD compiler or Build utility or Derelict bindings. Is that a problem for "dmedia.dprogramming.com"? What's the doc license?
 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share,
 you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community  :) 

I have SDL ("testbitmap"), GL ("gears"), AL ("testal") and one SDL+GL. For SDL 1.2.9, OpenGL 1.2.1, OpenAL 1.2.1 - all with GDC and GNU Make. Currently at http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/, but moving over to gdcmac. Just have to wrap it up and write the "Tutorial" style docs for it... --anders
May 03 2006
parent reply Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 I have some information on how to use SDL and OpenGL "cross-platform"
 (i.e. including the Macintosh, as well as Windows and Linux platforms)
 
 But it doesn't use DMD compiler or Build utility or Derelict bindings.
 Is that a problem for "dmedia.dprogramming.com"? What's the doc license?

Not a problem at all. I think it's important to show people that there are more ways of setting up multimedia stuff in a way that can work not only with dmd on windows and linux. In the long run though, I think Derelict will be a good solution, because it will be getting static linking capabilities soon, so it will also work on a Mac. The doc's license ? I dont care too much about licenses, so I guess it's some sort of public domain, or BSD, so that the article can be included anywhere provided that it doesn't contain false information ;)
 I have SDL ("testbitmap"), GL ("gears"), AL ("testal") and one SDL+GL.
 For SDL 1.2.9, OpenGL 1.2.1, OpenAL 1.2.1 - all with GDC and GNU Make.

I'm writing a second part of the tutorial that will use the following code: http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Main/WikiSandbox so I think it should cover some OpenGL and SDL stuff, but still AL and SDL tutorials would be great to have :) Thanks for your interest ! -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
parent reply =?windows-1252?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Tom S wrote:

 Not a problem at all. I think it's important to show people that there 
 are more ways of setting up multimedia stuff in a way that can work not 
 only with dmd on windows and linux. In the long run though, I think 
 Derelict will be a good solution, because it will be getting static 
 linking capabilities soon, so it will also work on a Mac.

You don't really need "static linking" for it to work on the Mac, so I don't really understand what you mean here. Derelict doesn't work simply because there are no build scripts, nor code, for Mac OS X ("darwin")... The OpenGL shared library is in "/System/Library/OpenGL.framework", normally linked with "-framework OpenGL". SDL can be linked in two ways, either with SDL.framework (Mac) or with libSDL.dylib (Unix). Or did you mean "without using function pointers", with your "static" ?
 The doc's license ? I dont care too much about licenses, so I guess it's 
 some sort of public domain, or BSD, so that the article can be included 
 anywhere provided that it doesn't contain false information ;)

If you want people to contribute to it, you need to settle on a license. Wiki4D is under the GNU Free Documentation License, so that is more GPL and "Free Software". If you want something like BSD and "Open Source", then I think an Open Content license would work best? Or, you could give up copyright and place it in Public Domain. But I'm not sure about that. See for instance http://opencontent.org/ or http://creativecommons.org/
 I'm writing a second part of the tutorial that will use the following 
 code: http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Main/WikiSandbox so I think it 
 should cover some OpenGL and SDL stuff, but still AL and SDL tutorials 
 would be great to have :)

The code from last year is in the CVS, at http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/ --anders
May 03 2006
parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 You don't really need "static linking" for it to work on the Mac, so I 
 don't really understand what you mean here. Derelict doesn't work simply
 because there are no build scripts, nor code, for Mac OS X ("darwin")...
 
 The OpenGL shared library is in "/System/Library/OpenGL.framework",
 normally linked with "-framework OpenGL". SDL can be linked in two
 ways, either with SDL.framework (Mac) or with libSDL.dylib (Unix).
 
 Or did you mean "without using function pointers", with your "static" ?

Yup, without using function pointers and dynamic loading thru Derelict. It doesn't currently support Mac, but I guess it will be easy to use it there when it get static linking capabilities.
 If you want people to contribute to it, you need to settle on a license.
 
 Wiki4D is under the GNU Free Documentation License, so that is more GPL
 and "Free Software". If you want something like BSD and "Open Source",
 then I think an Open Content license would work best? Or, you could give
 up copyright and place it in Public Domain. But I'm not sure about that.
 
 See for instance http://opencontent.org/ or http://creativecommons.org/

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what license the contributing autors would prefer. How about giving them an option to choose one of the CC licenses ? this one: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ or this: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/ Each tutorial/article would then hold a licensing information.
 The code from last year is in the CVS, at http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/

That CVS doesn't seem to like me, but if you consider some code good for the site, an article would be more than welcome :) -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Tom S wrote:
 Hey everyone,
 
 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated to 
 multimedia development using the D language. It will include information 
 about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming and more :)
 
 Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting 
 started with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
 http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1
 
 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share, 
 you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community :)
 In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
 irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
 information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.
 
 // this is a crosspost to D.announce and D.learn
 
 

Nice! (and a nice layout) I've started medelling with these things a few days ago, so I may help and/or learn from that site. In the tutorial #1, you didn't mention needing a .lib file for each of the SDL extensions. For example, SDL_Image and SDL_TTF are extensions to SDL, and they require seperate lib/dll files. I myself may add that in later today.
May 03 2006
next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Tom S wrote:
 
 Hey everyone,

 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated 
 to multimedia development using the D language. It will include 
 information about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming 
 and more :)

 Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting 
 started with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
 http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1

 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share, 
 you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community :)
 In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
 irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
 information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

 // this is a crosspost to D.announce and D.learn

Nice! (and a nice layout) I've started medelling with these things a few days ago, so I may help and/or learn from that site. In the tutorial #1, you didn't mention needing a .lib file for each of the SDL extensions. For example, SDL_Image and SDL_TTF are extensions to SDL, and they require seperate lib/dll files. I myself may add that in later today.

Wait .. is it a wiki where anyone can edit content?
May 03 2006
next sibling parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Wait .. is it a wiki where anyone can edit content?

Not anyone, the access is restricted by a username and password. I dont want everyone editing the site. That way it will have a chance to be professional. Even people with their accounts should consult other priviledged DMedia users about the changes they want to make, for instance on the #dmedia IRC channel. -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
prev sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Tom S wrote:

 Hey everyone,

 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated 
 to multimedia development using the D language. It will include 
 information about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game 
 programming and more :)

 Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting 
 started with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
 http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1

 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to 
 share, you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D 
 community :)
 In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
 irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
 information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

 // this is a crosspost to D.announce and D.learn

Nice! (and a nice layout) I've started medelling with these things a few days ago, so I may help and/or learn from that site. In the tutorial #1, you didn't mention needing a .lib file for each of the SDL extensions. For example, SDL_Image and SDL_TTF are extensions to SDL, and they require seperate lib/dll files. I myself may add that in later today.

Wait .. is it a wiki where anyone can edit content?

I think you have to ask Tom S. for an account
May 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Nice! (and a nice layout)

Thanks :)
 In the tutorial #1, you didn't mention needing a .lib file for each of 
 the SDL extensions.
 For example, SDL_Image and SDL_TTF are extensions to SDL, and they 
 require seperate lib/dll files.
 I myself may add that in later today.

No, no, no :) I explicitly stated that the approach doesnt use .lib / .a static linking but rather, Derelict is built from sources right with the application. Follow the tutorial's instructions and you'll see that it works. Applications that use Derelict only need the .dll / .so libraries of SDL, GL, SDL_ttf, etc. I've written a note about it. -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
prev sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Tom S wrote:
 Hey everyone,

 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated 
 to multimedia development using the D language. It will include 
 information about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming 
 and more :)

 Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting 
 started with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
 http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1

 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share, 
 you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community :)
 In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
 irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
 information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

 // this is a crosspost to D.announce and D.learn

Nice! (and a nice layout) I've started medelling with these things a few days ago, so I may help and/or learn from that site. In the tutorial #1, you didn't mention needing a .lib file for each of the SDL extensions.

Quote from tutorial... "Derelict can be compiled into a set of .lib or .a files and linked with your programs. However due to the Build utility, and the compilation speed that DMD gives us, we can as well build it from sources each time we compile a program that uses it. This will also prevent any eventual linking problems related to having built Derelict with different options than our program that we link against."
May 03 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 
 Tom S wrote:

 Hey everyone,

 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated 
 to multimedia development using the D language. It will include 
 information about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game 
 programming and more :)

 Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting 
 started with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
 http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1

 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to 
 share, you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D 
 community :)
 In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
 irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
 information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

 // this is a crosspost to D.announce and D.learn

Nice! (and a nice layout) I've started medelling with these things a few days ago, so I may help and/or learn from that site. In the tutorial #1, you didn't mention needing a .lib file for each of the SDL extensions.

Quote from tutorial... "Derelict can be compiled into a set of .lib or .a files and linked with your programs. However due to the Build utility, and the compilation speed that DMD gives us, we can as well build it from sources each time we compile a program that uses it. This will also prevent any eventual linking problems related to having built Derelict with different options than our program that we link against."

ahh .. I thought derelict was just a binding, i.e. C Headers --> D headers translation. and you still need the libs/dlls
May 03 2006
next sibling parent =?windows-1252?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:

 ahh .. I thought derelict was just a binding, i.e. C Headers --> D 
 headers translation. and you still need the libs/dlls

It's not always possible to translate C/C++ headers into D modules without adding code. For instance any tricky macros or bit fields require function wrappers in D, and those generate some object code. --anders
May 03 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Lukas Pinkowski" <lukas.pinkowski web.de> writes:
Am 03.05.2006, 23:29 Uhr, schrieb Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com>:

 ahh .. I thought derelict was just a binding, i.e. C Headers --> D  
 headers translation. and you still need the libs/dlls

Derelict uses function pointers which are assigned at runtime to the functions in the DLLs (with the DerelictXX_Load()-functions). Those function pointers have to be in some object file; additionally SDL provides some widely used functions that are in fact Macros, which have to be simulated by real functions.
May 04 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Lukas Pinkowski wrote:
 Am 03.05.2006, 23:29 Uhr, schrieb Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com>:
 
 ahh .. I thought derelict was just a binding, i.e. C Headers --> D  
 headers translation. and you still need the libs/dlls

Derelict uses function pointers which are assigned at runtime to the functions in the DLLs (with the DerelictXX_Load()-functions). Those function pointers have to be in some object file; additionally SDL provides some widely used functions that are in fact Macros, which have to be simulated by real functions.

My point was, users need to download lib files for the different extensions, like sdl_image.lib and sdl_ttf.lib, etc. isn't this correct?
May 04 2006
parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron71 yahoo.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Lukas Pinkowski wrote:

 My point was, users need to download lib files for the different 
 extensions, like sdl_image.lib and sdl_ttf.lib, etc.
 
 isn't this correct?

No. Derelict eliminates the need to link with import libraries. It loads the shared libraries manually via LoadLibrary on Windows and dlopen on Linux.
May 04 2006
parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Mike Parker wrote:
 Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 
 Lukas Pinkowski wrote:

 My point was, users need to download lib files for the different 
 extensions, like sdl_image.lib and sdl_ttf.lib, etc.

 isn't this correct?

No. Derelict eliminates the need to link with import libraries. It loads the shared libraries manually via LoadLibrary on Windows and dlopen on Linux.

But you still need the dlls, if you want to use image and ttf and other extensions. SDL_image.dll SDL_ttf.dll no?
May 04 2006
next sibling parent James Pelcis <jpelcis gmail.com> writes:
Yes.  You need the dlls, but you don't need the libs.  That, however, is 
a problem that needs to be taken care at runtime, not when compiling the 
program.

Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 But you still need the dlls, if you want to use image and ttf and other 
 extensions.
 
 SDL_image.dll
 SDL_ttf.dll
 
 no?

May 04 2006
prev sibling parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron71 yahoo.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 No. Derelict eliminates the need to link with import libraries. It 
 loads the shared libraries manually via LoadLibrary on Windows and 
 dlopen on Linux.

But you still need the dlls, if you want to use image and ttf and other extensions. SDL_image.dll SDL_ttf.dll no?

Yes. That's what I mean by 'shared library' - .dll on Windows and .so on Linux. Those are the files that Derelict loads. But it's not just the SDL extensions, it's for all the libraries that Derelict wraps - SDL, OpenGL, OpenAL, all of them.
May 04 2006
parent =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Mike Parker wrote:

 Yes. That's what I mean by 'shared library' - .dll on Windows and .so on 
 Linux. Those are the files that Derelict loads. 

On Mac OS X, they are either .framework/"bundles" or .dylib/"libraries" (A .framework is a combination of: headers, shared libs, and resources) --anders
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Tom S" <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> wrote in message 
news:e3a270$1t28$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hey everyone,

 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated to 
 multimedia development using the D language. It will include information 
 about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming and more :)

 Its 'Tutorials' section currently contains one article - "Getting started 
 with SDL and OpenGL in D – Part 1". It's available at: 
 http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1

 If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share, 
 you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community :)
 In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
 irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
 information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

Oh, that is a sweet site. I'd love to join - would be nice to write up something about getting DirectX to work in D.
May 03 2006
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:e3anpa$7mg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Oh, that is a sweet site.  I'd love to join - would be nice to write up 
 something about getting DirectX to work in D.

Hey, just wanted to say that I can't get on irc.freenode.net with any IRC client that I have. It fails to look up my hostname. Does it use some nonstandard port settings or something?
May 03 2006
parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

 "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:e3anpa$7mg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Oh, that is a sweet site.  I'd love to join - would be nice to write up
 something about getting DirectX to work in D.

Hey, just wanted to say that I can't get on irc.freenode.net with any IRC client that I have. It fails to look up my hostname. Does it use some nonstandard port settings or something?

irc.freenode.org at port 6667 should be enough ... -- Lars Ivar Igesund blog at http://larsivi.net DSource & #D: larsivi
May 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 Oh, that is a sweet site.  I'd love to join - would be nice to write up 
 something about getting DirectX to work in D. 

Thanks for the kind words. It would be totally awesome if you wrote something about DirectX :D I've seen you flash for a second on the #dmedia channel, are you still having these IRC problems you mentioned in another post ? -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
prev sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 "Tom S" <h3r3tic> wrote:
If you have some multimedia programming knowledge you'd like to share, 
you're welcome to join us and write a tutorial for the D community :)
In addition to the website, I've created a #dmedia channel on the 
irc.freenode.net network, you can find some of us there and get more 
information, e.g. about getting an account to edit the site.

Oh, that is a sweet site. I'd love to join - would be nice to write up something about getting DirectX to work in D.

Wow, the first page I stumbled upon, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/Tutorials/SdlGlTutorial1 simply kicked me breathless! Now, is there anyone who's the one to cast the First Stone?? -- As in, trying to say it's not the looks but the content?? In other words: make the looks good enough, (like dmedia) and you're twice as far ahead as the bare looking site with Pure Gold content. Besides, the dmedia content looks good too. So, /summa summarum/, this puts all other D related sites to shame. Congratulations! Really.
May 03 2006
parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
 Besides, the dmedia content looks good too. So, /summa summarum/, this 
 puts all other D related sites to shame.
 
 Congratulations!
 
 Really.

Wow, thanks :D I'm glad you like it. A lot of credit should go to the authors of this PmWiki skin: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ABitModernSkin I've merely rewritten some of its CSS in order to fix its bugs (resizing problems) and changed the graphics ;) The PmWiki skin is in turn a port of one template from this site: http://www.oswd.org/ Anyway, I'm hoping to finish a second tutorial soon. There will probably be more contributors, so we might see some DirectX, SDL and OpenAL stuff shortly :) -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Tom S wrote:
 I've created a new website, http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/ dedicated to 
 multimedia development using the D language. It will include information 
 about SDL, OpenGL, font rendering, sound, game programming and more :)

Great! It looks good. Can I ask you to included the phrase "D programming language" to your page templates so it will appear somewhere on every page? This will make it more findable with google searches.
May 03 2006
parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 Great! It looks good.

Thanks !
 Can I ask you to included the phrase "D 
 programming language" to your page templates so it will appear somewhere 
 on every page? This will make it more findable with google searches.

Done :) -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 03 2006
prev sibling parent reply "ElfQT" <dethjunk yahoo.com> writes:
I've ported the first six DirectX tutorials back in 2005 august to D,
and since I've done (at least, tried to do) it without d3dx,
stopped at mesh loading (from .x format).

ElfQT
May 05 2006
parent Tom S <h3r3tic remove.mat.uni.torun.pl> writes:
ElfQT wrote:
 I've ported the first six DirectX tutorials back in 2005 august to D,
 and since I've done (at least, tried to do) it without d3dx,
 stopped at mesh loading (from .x format).

Impressive :) Would you consider adding them to DMedia ? Jarrett is currently writing a tutorial about getting DX to work with D, so the basics would be covered. -- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GCS/M d-pu s+: a-->----- C+++$>++++ UL P+ L+ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w++ !O !M V? PS- PE- Y PGP t 5 X? R tv-- b DI- D+ G e>+++ h>++ !r !y ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ Tomasz Stachowiak /+ a.k.a. h3r3tic +/
May 05 2006