www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.learn - 2.054 doesn't install properly for Ubuntu 10.10?

reply Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
I've tried upgrading 2.053 to 2.054 via the .deb package distributed here:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html

It gave me an upgrade button in the ubuntu software center.

Well upgrading broke the compiler, now I get back:
andrej andrej-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/test$ dmd bla.d
object.d: Error: module object is in file 'object.d' which cannot be read
Specify path to file 'object.d' with -I switch

I've tried uninstalling and installing DMD again via the .deb package,
with no luck. What am I supposed to do now?
Jul 24 2011
next sibling parent Johannes Pfau <spam example.com> writes:
Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
I've tried upgrading 2.053 to 2.054 via the .deb package distributed
here: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html

It gave me an upgrade button in the ubuntu software center.

Well upgrading broke the compiler, now I get back:
andrej andrej-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/test$ dmd bla.d
object.d: Error: module object is in file 'object.d' which cannot be
read Specify path to file 'object.d' with -I switch

I've tried uninstalling and installing DMD again via the .deb package,
with no luck. What am I supposed to do now?

And I though I was the only one with that issue. For some reason dmd.conf isn't installed properly into /etc/dmd.conf with the latest dmd release. Copying it in there manually worked for me. /etc/dmd.conf should look like this: ----------------- ; ; dmd.conf file for dmd ; ; dmd will look for dmd.conf in the following sequence of directories: ; - current working directory ; - directory specified by the HOME environment variable ; - directory dmd resides in ; - /etc directory ; ; Names enclosed by %% are searched for in the existing environment ; and inserted. ; The special name % P% is replaced with the path to this file. ; [Environment] DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/d/dmd/phobos -I/usr/include/d/dmd/druntime/import -L-L/usr/lib32 -L-L/usr/lib64 -L--no-warn-search-mismatch -L--export-dynamic -L-lrt ----------------- -- Johannes Pfau
Jul 24 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
How do I even copy it there? I run sudo nautilus but it won't let me
copy anything to /etc/.
Jul 24 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent Johannes Pfau <spam example.com> writes:
Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
How do I even copy it there? I run sudo nautilus but it won't let me
copy anything to /etc/.

You could try sudo gedit /etc/dmd.conf although nautilus also should work. -- Johannes Pfau
Jul 24 2011
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-07-24 17:32, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
 I've tried upgrading 2.053 to 2.054 via the .deb package distributed here:
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html

 It gave me an upgrade button in the ubuntu software center.

 Well upgrading broke the compiler, now I get back:
 andrej andrej-VirtualBox:~/Desktop/test$ dmd bla.d
 object.d: Error: module object is in file 'object.d' which cannot be read
 Specify path to file 'object.d' with -I switch

 I've tried uninstalling and installing DMD again via the .deb package,
 with no luck. What am I supposed to do now?

I suggest you give DVM a try: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jul 24 2011
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2011-07-25 13:02, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
 On 7/25/11, Jacob Carlborg<doob me.com>  wrote:
 I suggest you give DVM a try: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm

Oh hey, I completely forgot that DVM was on Linux to begin with, even though I use it on Windows. :)

Hehe, it's been available for Linux since the first release. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jul 25 2011
prev sibling parent Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich gmail.com> writes:
On 7/25/11, Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> wrote:
 I suggest you give DVM a try: https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm

Oh hey, I completely forgot that DVM was on Linux to begin with, even though I use it on Windows. :)
Jul 25 2011