digitalmars.D.learn - Small question on: typedef get opCall;

reply sai <sai_member pathlink.com> writes:
This line is taken from mango:

typedef get opCall;

Does above line create a new function named "opCall" ? or is "opCall" just
another name for existing function "get" ?

I thought typedef works only for data types, but here it seems to work on
functions too.

Could someone please point me the documentation page for this usage.

Thanks in advance
Sai
Aug 06 2005
parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
sai wrote:
 This line is taken from mango:

 typedef get opCall;
Can you tell us which module this was in? I just tried a "Find In Files" operation on the Mango source and couldn't find it... I'm intrigued by it though, if it is in use. -- Chris Sauls
Aug 07 2005
parent reply Sai <Sai_member pathlink.com> writes:
Sure, the link to the source file:
http://mango.dsource.org/structIReader.html

Link to the line in documentation is:
http://mango.dsource.org/structIReader.html#Readery1

Link to the line in source is:
http://mango.dsource.org/IReader_8d-source.html#l00099

Wait a minute, the line in source now is
alias get opCall;
was it changed recently ? Althought the documentation still says
typedef get opCall;

-Sai

In article <dd4d8n$2tg1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Chris Sauls says...
sai wrote:
 This line is taken from mango:

 typedef get opCall;
Can you tell us which module this was in? I just tried a "Find In Files" operation on the Mango source and couldn't find it... I'm intrigued by it though, if it is in use. -- Chris Sauls
Aug 07 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Sai" <Sai_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dd66h6$14u5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sure, the link to the source file:
 http://mango.dsource.org/structIReader.html

 Link to the line in documentation is:
 http://mango.dsource.org/structIReader.html#Readery1

 Link to the line in source is:
 http://mango.dsource.org/IReader_8d-source.html#l00099

 Wait a minute, the line in source now is
 alias get opCall;
 was it changed recently ? Althought the documentation still says
 typedef get opCall;
Hehe, I just tried the "typedef get opShr" and D said that I couldn't do that. Look at this: class A { int x=5; void get(inout int blah) { blah=x; } alias get opShr; } void main() { A a=new A; int x; a >> x; writefln(x); } Maybe a bug was fixed that didn't let you use "typedef" to do what "alias" can do. It's an interesting use of alias, though, and something I never would have thought of.
Aug 08 2005