www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ldc - Missing dependencies in building-LDC instructions

reply Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
The wiki page description of how to build LDC:
http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source

... seems to be missing a couple of dependencies, namely zlib and 
libedit (required for -lz and -ledit).  The LLVM version 
constraints are also probably a little outdated.

Happy to tweak the page myself at some point, but thought I'd 
raise it here first in case someone wants to offer some input.
Oct 22 2015
parent reply Joakim <dlang joakim.fea.st> writes:
On Thursday, 22 October 2015 at 23:12:03 UTC, Joseph Rushton 
Wakeling wrote:
 The wiki page description of how to build LDC:
 http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source

 ... seems to be missing a couple of dependencies, namely zlib 
 and libedit (required for -lz and -ledit).  The LLVM version 
 constraints are also probably a little outdated.

 Happy to tweak the page myself at some point, but thought I'd 
 raise it here first in case someone wants to offer some input.
zlib comes with phobos, so it isn't listed, as that list only consists of external dependencies. I don't know about libedit, where is it actually used?
Oct 22 2015
parent reply David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc <digitalmars-d-ldc puremagic.com> writes:
On 23 Oct 2015, at 6:41, Joakim via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
 On Thursday, 22 October 2015 at 23:12:03 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling 
 wrote:
 The wiki page description of how to build LDC:
 http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source

 ... seems to be missing a couple of dependencies, namely zlib and 
 libedit (required for -lz and -ledit).  The LLVM version constraints 
 are also probably a little outdated.

 Happy to tweak the page myself at some point, but thought I'd raise 
 it here first in case someone wants to offer some input.
zlib comes with phobos, so it isn't listed, as that list only consists of external dependencies. I don't know about libedit, where is it actually used?
LLVM itself has started to depend on those somewhat recently. When linking LLVM statically (which is the default), they are added to the list of ldflags that llvm-config reports. — David
Oct 22 2015
next sibling parent Joakim <dlang joakim.fea.st> writes:
On Friday, 23 October 2015 at 06:51:29 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
 On 23 Oct 2015, at 6:41, Joakim via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
 zlib comes with phobos, so it isn't listed, as that list only 
 consists of external dependencies.  I don't know about 
 libedit, where is it actually used?
LLVM itself has started to depend on those somewhat recently. When linking LLVM statically (which is the default), they are added to the list of ldflags that llvm-config reports.
Ah, I see, didn't know that.
Oct 23 2015
prev sibling parent reply Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Friday, 23 October 2015 at 06:51:29 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
 LLVM itself has started to depend on those somewhat recently.
On both zlib and libedit ... ?
Oct 25 2015
parent reply David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc <digitalmars-d-ldc puremagic.com> writes:
On 25 Oct 2015, at 11:50, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via digitalmars-d-ldc 
wrote:
 On both zlib and libedit ... ?
If I remember correctly, yes. I'm not sure which components require it, but llvm-config spits them out as part of the ldflags. — David
Oct 25 2015
parent reply Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Sunday, 25 October 2015 at 14:14:41 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
 On 25 Oct 2015, at 11:50, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via 
 digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
 On both zlib and libedit ... ?
If I remember correctly, yes. I'm not sure which components require it, but llvm-config spits them out as part of the ldflags.
Bit late to be following up on this, but I've added them to the wiki page: http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source#Prerequisites
Jan 31
parent David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc <digitalmars-d-ldc puremagic.com> writes:
On 31 Jan 2016, at 14:57, Joseph Rushton Wakeling via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
 Bit late to be following up on this, but I've added them to the wiki page:
 http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_LDC_from_source#Prerequisites
Thanks! — David
Jan 31