www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ldc - D2.067 with half-proper Win64 support ante portas!

reply "kinke" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
Hey guys,

some updates:

2.067:
We have the first green merge-2.067 builds, see 
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/1014. Still TODO:
* dtor rework - https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/1010
* verify https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/1014
* Linux: shared libraries lead to failing rt.util.typeinfo-debug 
test

MSVC (Visual Studio):
With some PRs yet to be approved + a hack 
(https://github.com/kinke/ldc, https://github.com/kinke/druntime, 
https://github.com/kinke/phobos, branch `win64`), LDC based on 
merge-2.067 builds fine in combination with Visual Studio 2015 
and LLVM 3.7 (55a6a4c). 1 unittest module cannot be built 
(std.string-debug); all others pass their tests except for 2 
failures (core.thread and std.uni-debug). Still TODO:
* multiple definitions when linking, apparently since LLVM 3.7 - 
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/988
* presumably a LLVM debug info/relocation bug preventing 
std/string-unittest-debug.obj from being compiled - 
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/930 and 
https://llvm.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=15393
* failing assertion in core.thread (release), line 5467: 
Win64-specific ABI test wrt. non-volatile registers, DMD inline 
asm and fibers... %)
* segfault in std.uni-debug, line 2982; this test triggered issue 
#1010 about enormous dtor bloat...
* check dmd-testsuite - I don't have any `make` on my Windows box

So stay tuned for the next release, there has most likely never 
been something so close to a serious D compiler on Win64 ever! 
With VS 2015, MS has finally implemented most of the C99 runtime 
standard, thus simplifying portability across operating systems..

There are good times ahead of us. :)
Aug 06 2015
next sibling parent reply "Martin Nowak" <code dawg.eu> writes:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 22:39:47 UTC, kinke wrote:
 So stay tuned for the next release, there has most likely never 
 been something so close to a serious D compiler on Win64 ever! 
 With VS 2015, MS has finally implemented most of the C99 
 runtime standard, thus simplifying portability across operating 
 systems..
Sounds like you already found out how to make druntime compatible to VS2015. Can you help us with this issue? Which crt libraries are you looking too, apparently there are different flavors now. https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14849#c7
Aug 07 2015
parent "kink" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
On Friday, 7 August 2015 at 10:52:36 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
 On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 22:39:47 UTC, kinke wrote:
 So stay tuned for the next release, there has most likely 
 never been something so close to a serious D compiler on Win64 
 ever! With VS 2015, MS has finally implemented most of the C99 
 runtime standard, thus simplifying portability across 
 operating systems..
Sounds like you already found out how to make druntime compatible to VS2015. Can you help us with this issue? Which crt libraries are you looking too, apparently there are different flavors now. https://issues.dlang.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14849#c7
Yes, I did so a few months ago. The relevant commit is https://github.com/kinke/druntime/commit/6a1c9d330d97bc81f5452 4aab165475758dbb63. Merging the VS 2015 stuff with the older legacy stuff without a version declaration would probably be not that simple and make the MS exceptions even uglier. Ideally, we'd drop all legacy MS stuff soon, cleansing druntime and phobos from ugly MS workarounds in various places. I didn't bother checking out the new structure (VCRuntime, AppCRT, DesktopCRT) - we need what we need in druntime and will then have appropriate dependencies. :)
Aug 07 2015
prev sibling next sibling parent "ponce" <contact gam3sfrommars.fr> writes:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 22:39:47 UTC, kinke wrote:
 So stay tuned for the next release, there has most likely never 
 been something so close to a serious D compiler on Win64 ever! 
 With VS 2015, MS has finally implemented most of the C99 
 runtime standard, thus simplifying portability across operating 
 systems..

 There are good times ahead of us. :)
Great news! Thanks to the team.
Aug 07 2015
prev sibling parent reply "kinke" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 22:39:47 UTC, kinke wrote:
 * check dmd-testsuite - I don't have any `make` on my Windows 
 box
News on that front: https://github.com/ldc-developers/dmd-testsuite/pull/10 Only 11 failures for dmd-testsuite-debug on Win64. :)
Aug 08 2015
parent reply "kinke" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
I've updated the Wiki page: 
http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_and_hacking_LDC_on_Windows_using_MSVC
Aug 08 2015
parent "Benjamin Thaut" <code benjamin-thaut.de> writes:
On Sunday, 9 August 2015 at 02:51:59 UTC, kinke wrote:
 I've updated the Wiki page: 
 http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_and_hacking_LDC_on_Windows_using_MSVC
Thanks for all your hard work, I'm really looking forward to a working 64-bit D compiler on windows. Unfortunately the GDC based on TDM-64 is no longer maintained and the other windows based gdc released are basically unusable.
Aug 20 2015