www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ldc - CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE

reply Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
Is it recommended to use a particular CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE setting 
when building an LDC release?  Or is this not used by LDC's build 
scripts?
Feb 02
parent reply Johan Engelen <j j.nl> writes:
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 at 20:58:30 UTC, Joseph Rushton 
Wakeling wrote:
 Is it recommended to use a particular CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE setting 
 when building an LDC release?  Or is this not used by LDC's 
 build scripts?
We use CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to set up the D compiler flags. For our release builds, we set it to "Release" (`-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release`). -Johan
Feb 02
parent reply Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 at 22:06:47 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
 We use CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to set up the D compiler flags.
 For our release builds, we set it to "Release" 
 (`-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release`).
Great, thanks. I came across this courtesy of trying to build LLVM from scratch, and wondering why the build was taking up such an extraordinary amount of disk space ... all those debug symbols ;-) I'll add it to the snap package definition accordingly.
Feb 02
parent reply Johan Engelen <j j.nl> writes:
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 at 22:28:15 UTC, Joseph Rushton 
Wakeling wrote:
 Great, thanks.  I came across this courtesy of trying to build 
 LLVM from scratch, and wondering why the build was taking up 
 such an extraordinary amount of disk space ... all those debug 
 symbols ;-)
A release LLVM build also is _much_ faster than a debug build!
Feb 02
parent Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling webdrake.net> writes:
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 at 22:43:41 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
 A release LLVM build also is _much_ faster than a debug build!
So I also noticed ;-) Same seems to also be true of LDC -- to think of all the time I've spent waiting for those builds while testing my snap package definition ... :-P
Feb 02