www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ide - Why lack of good IDE doesn't peek your attention

reply SC <SC gmail.com> writes:
Hello

I'm a long time lurker, i always wanted to learn a system 
language ( i'm currently using Java/Kotlin/C# )

But the problem i got with D is the lack of IDE, when you program 
in Java or C# everyday, you understand why good IDE support is 
essential to be productive, and to learn new things thanks to IDE 
features such as inspections

Even Rust have great IDE support with IntelliJ, same for Haskell, 
same for Go

I see people creating their own ide, or rely on code editors like 
vs code / atom / sublime

I find this really counter productive, not because they are bad 
or uncomplete, because people don't want to use other tools, for 
some people they use one IDE for all their projects (IntelliJ 
suite cover all rube/pyton/html/js/c#/java/go/c/c++)

Guys, it's time to focus on IDE support, it's even in the road 
map of rust https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/02/06/roadmap.html

Good IDE support that everyone use (IntelliJ or VS, IntelliJ 
would be best candidate since it's crossplatform, that's why Rust 
and Go choosed it) will be a huge boost for the language adoption 
IMO

I'm currently learning Rust, and having a great intellij plugin 
helped me a lot to learn it, and i feel comfortable with it, but 
i'm dropping it because i don't like the language syntax

So guys i hope you'll think about this and put all effort in one 
IDE to make sure newbies can get their hand on D easily

It's hard for me to explain since my english is really bad

Thanks
Feb 07
next sibling parent reply Jerry <hurricane hereiam.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 7 February 2017 at 15:48:43 UTC, SC wrote:
 Hello

 I'm a long time lurker, i always wanted to learn a system 
 language ( i'm currently using Java/Kotlin/C# )

 But the problem i got with D is the lack of IDE, when you 
 program in Java or C# everyday, you understand why good IDE 
 support is essential to be productive, and to learn new things 
 thanks to IDE features such as inspections

 Even Rust have great IDE support with IntelliJ, same for 
 Haskell, same for Go

 I see people creating their own ide, or rely on code editors 
 like vs code / atom / sublime

 I find this really counter productive, not because they are bad 
 or uncomplete, because people don't want to use other tools, 
 for some people they use one IDE for all their projects 
 (IntelliJ suite cover all rube/pyton/html/js/c#/java/go/c/c++)

 Guys, it's time to focus on IDE support, it's even in the road 
 map of rust https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/02/06/roadmap.html

 Good IDE support that everyone use (IntelliJ or VS, IntelliJ 
 would be best candidate since it's crossplatform, that's why 
 Rust and Go choosed it) will be a huge boost for the language 
 adoption IMO

 I'm currently learning Rust, and having a great intellij plugin 
 helped me a lot to learn it, and i feel comfortable with it, 
 but i'm dropping it because i don't like the language syntax

 So guys i hope you'll think about this and put all effort in 
 one IDE to make sure newbies can get their hand on D easily

 It's hard for me to explain since my english is really bad

 Thanks
Well it doesn't look like rust is actually supporting an ide itself. It is just providing the tools that run in the background that then someone else can use to integrate with an IDE. The intellij rust plugin looks to be run by people that are just doing it in their free time. So rust didn't really choose Intellij by the looks of it. There was also someone who was working on an Intellij plugin for D but it doesn't seem like they are working on it that much anymore. https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage
Feb 08
parent reply singingbush <singingbush hotmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 15:55:09 UTC, Jerry wrote:
 There was also someone who was working on an Intellij plugin 
 for D but it doesn't seem like they are working on it that much 
 anymore. https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage
There's a new build (v1.11) for the Intellij D Language plugin: https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage/releases which should be in the plugin repo soon: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8115-d-language?pr=idea
Mar 09
next sibling parent reply Grander <grander grander.grander> writes:
On Thursday, 9 March 2017 at 21:42:05 UTC, singingbush wrote:
 On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 15:55:09 UTC, Jerry wrote:
 There was also someone who was working on an Intellij plugin 
 for D but it doesn't seem like they are working on it that 
 much anymore. https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage
There's a new build (v1.11) for the Intellij D Language plugin: https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage/releases which should be in the plugin repo soon: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8115-d-language?pr=idea
Does it still rely on DCD? If yes, then it still sucks. Shitty to set up, buggy in usage, bad and horribly slow autocompletion. Thanks Hackerpilot, you created good software that is good at what it has been made for. But unfortunately all those lazy "pro-user" abused it for simply bodging it into their favorite IDE wich caused combined with their lack of skills a total disaster of D support. Moreover, as most of those plugins are also written in D, no new user, who is searching for a good IDE, will ever be interested in contributing to those projects as they would have to write D code for creating good IDE support, but without a useful IDE. If combating the horror leads to even more horror, noone will ever do it - for comprehensible reasons. Regards, Grander
Mar 10
parent reply Dmitry <dmitry indiedev.ru> writes:
On Saturday, 11 March 2017 at 01:02:44 UTC, Grander wrote:
 Does it still rely on DCD?
 If yes, then it still sucks. Shitty to set up, buggy in usage, 
 bad and horribly slow autocompletion.

 Thanks  Hackerpilot, you created good software that is good at 
 what it has been made for.
I don't think that problem is in DCD, because in Xamarin Studio it works instantly, without any lags.
Mar 13
parent Jolly James <j.j jmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 13 March 2017 at 07:02:57 UTC, Dmitry wrote:
 On Saturday, 11 March 2017 at 01:02:44 UTC, Grander wrote:
 Does it still rely on DCD?
 If yes, then it still sucks. Shitty to set up, buggy in usage, 
 bad and horribly slow autocompletion.

 Thanks  Hackerpilot, you created good software that is good at 
 what it has been made for.
I don't think that problem is in DCD, because in Xamarin Studio it works instantly, without any lags.
That's because it does NOT use DCD.
Mar 13
prev sibling parent reply Simon Timothy <sim.tim jmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 9 March 2017 at 21:42:05 UTC, singingbush wrote:
 On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 15:55:09 UTC, Jerry wrote:
 There was also someone who was working on an Intellij plugin 
 for D but it doesn't seem like they are working on it that 
 much anymore. https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage
There's a new build (v1.11) for the Intellij D Language plugin: https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage/releases which should be in the plugin repo soon: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8115-d-language?pr=idea
Seeing how JetBrains now created an IDE for Go ultimately shows how D failed. D is much older. Anyway, there is no official support built into any JetBrains product (and they support almost everything, or at least build tools to enhance other IDEs). Quite sad. And now give anybody a reason to learn D. When you instead could use C#, Java, Go - all of them being supported very well by great IDEs...
Apr 05
parent reply Eliatto <arietto86 gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 at 16:57:40 UTC, Simon Timothy wrote:
 On Thursday, 9 March 2017 at 21:42:05 UTC, singingbush wrote:
 On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 15:55:09 UTC, Jerry wrote:
 There was also someone who was working on an Intellij plugin 
 for D but it doesn't seem like they are working on it that 
 much anymore. https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage
There's a new build (v1.11) for the Intellij D Language plugin: https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage/releases which should be in the plugin repo soon: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8115-d-language?pr=idea
Seeing how JetBrains now created an IDE for Go ultimately shows how D failed. D is much older. Anyway, there is no official support built into any JetBrains product (and they support almost everything, or at least build tools to enhance other IDEs). Quite sad. And now give anybody a reason to learn D. When you instead could use C#, Java, Go - all of them being supported very well by great IDEs...
Is it possible to create a feature request (and vote for it) concerning official D language support (in order to ask development team to start "DLion" in a couple of years)? I haven't found any topics related to dlang here https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/
Apr 10
next sibling parent Dmitry <dmitry indiedev.ru> writes:
On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 17:42:26 UTC, Eliatto wrote:
 Is it possible to create a feature request (and vote for it) 
 concerning official D language support (in order to ask 
 development team to start "DLion" in a couple of years)? I 
 haven't found any topics related to dlang here
 https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/
They won't do it, because it is not commercially viable for them.
Apr 11
prev sibling parent reply Ervin Bosenbacher <ervin.bosenbacher gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 10 April 2017 at 17:42:26 UTC, Eliatto wrote:
 On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 at 16:57:40 UTC, Simon Timothy wrote:
 [...]
Is it possible to create a feature request (and vote for it) concerning official D language support (in order to ask development team to start "DLion" in a couple of years)? I haven't found any topics related to dlang here https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/
Should be called DRagon imho :)
Apr 21
parent reply Gru <gru gmail.com> writes:
Hi, I have also been a long time lurker of the D language. D 
itself is very fine. I come from C# background for the most part, 
while having worked in other C-based languages like Java and C. I 
also used Visual Studio for years.

A couple of months ago, I tried setting up an IDE.
VisualD, MonoD, This thing with IntelliJ, and VSCode plugins - 
none of them worked out of the box.

The way I tried to install it is like a normal user. I would try 
installation while following the steps and if it doesn't work I 
quit. Yes, I could probably troubleshoot the installation but 
that's the core problem: if the installation is broken you will 
simply lose the confidence in the product as a person evaluating 
the product. While the OSS community "likes" these kinds of 
installations, they are a death for the interest of general 
public.

As someone coming into D from the outside, I cannot state how big 
of a problem this is for user adoption. Go is the proof that 
language is not sold by its features, it is sold by the 
perception for the users. What's more important than being good 
is making a good impression and that is basics of sales.

Also, you may think that a good IDE is not important. Let's put 
it this way, from an a lazy user point of view, if we wanted to 
skimp on productivity, why use a high-level language after all? 
Having a language in the family of C++/C#/Java without the good 
tooling support is ludicrous. If the code completion does not 
work, forget it. People spend enough time troubleshooting their 
own software. Imagine a compiler that works 100%, but only 90% of 
the time. This simply does not cut it. The relationship of the 
language and the tooling is very symbiotic. Even in C#, you know 
how in LINQ you type 'from' before 'select' even though you'd 
expect it to be the other way around? Well, one of the reasons is 
so they could offer better tooling support this way, and that's 
an example of how the language can be influenced by the IDE. At 
the end of the day, it all comes down to workflows. Either we are 
doing stuff (such as debugging) faster and better or we are not.

This is the Really important stuff, the end-to-end thinking which 
gets the job done and never focuses on the details at the expense 
of something more important down the pipeline.

I believe D can be a popular language, and it can build on the 
C++ popularity, but it needs to have really reliable tooling. In 
C#, language features and VS features go hand in hand. A language 
service for an IDE needs to work extremely reliably, just like 
any system.
Aug 06
next sibling parent Eliatto <arietto86 gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 12:12:01 UTC, Gru wrote:
 I believe D can be a popular language, and it can build on the 
 C++ popularity, but it needs to have really reliable tooling. 
 In C#, language features and VS features go hand in hand. A 
 language service for an IDE needs to work extremely reliably, 
 just like any system.
I agree with you. I think that community members should choose one IDE by voting and donate money to IDE developers. For example, we will choose winner in 2017 among existing crossplatform solutions (aka IDE of the year). Then we will donate to the team for some period. The most wanted feature is a refactoring server (IMHO), which can be shared among different IDEs.
Aug 08
prev sibling parent reply Kagamin <spam here.lot> writes:
On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 12:12:01 UTC, Gru wrote:
 In C#, language features and VS features go hand in hand. A 
 language service for an IDE needs to work extremely reliably, 
 just like any system.
When I open C++ project in visual studio, C++ language service crashes regularly for me. In C# projects intellisense often disappears too, probably crashes too, but silenced and becomes non-functional.
Aug 25
parent user1234 <user1234 12.hu> writes:
On Friday, 25 August 2017 at 13:09:16 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
 On Sunday, 6 August 2017 at 12:12:01 UTC, Gru wrote:
 In C#, language features and VS features go hand in hand. A 
 language service for an IDE needs to work extremely reliably, 
 just like any system.
The IDE i used for D is often opened during the whole daytime, even sometimes several days. It's reliable and never crashes.
Aug 25
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Basile B. <b2.temp gmx.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 7 February 2017 at 15:48:43 UTC, SC wrote:
 Hello

 I'm a long time lurker, i always wanted to learn a system 
 language ( i'm currently using Java/Kotlin/C# )

 But the problem i got with D is the lack of IDE, when you 
 program in Java or C# everyday, you understand why good IDE 
 support is essential to be productive, and to learn new things 
 thanks to IDE features such as inspections

 Even Rust have great IDE support with IntelliJ, same for 
 Haskell, same for Go

 I see people creating their own ide, or rely on code editors 
 like vs code / atom / sublime

 I find this really counter productive, not because they are bad 
 or uncomplete, because people don't want to use other tools, 
 for some people they use one IDE for all their projects 
 (IntelliJ suite cover all rube/pyton/html/js/c#/java/go/c/c++)

 Guys, it's time to focus on IDE support, it's even in the road 
 map of rust https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/02/06/roadmap.html

 Good IDE support that everyone use (IntelliJ or VS, IntelliJ 
 would be best candidate since it's crossplatform, that's why 
 Rust and Go choosed it) will be a huge boost for the language 
 adoption IMO

 I'm currently learning Rust, and having a great intellij plugin 
 helped me a lot to learn it, and i feel comfortable with it, 
 but i'm dropping it because i don't like the language syntax

 So guys i hope you'll think about this and put all effort in 
 one IDE to make sure newbies can get their hand on D easily

 It's hard for me to explain since my english is really bad

 Thanks
You're snob. I use daily a D IDE, it works fine. When I have something to test I make runnable, otherwise there's projects etc... When I say "daily", it's not a joke. Yesterday I had to reboot for some reason but otherwise the IDE can run in background during days...
Feb 10
parent reply SC <SC gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 18:03:39 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
 You're snob.

 I use daily a D IDE, it works fine. When I have something to 
 test I make runnable, otherwise there's projects etc...

 When I say "daily", it's not a joke. Yesterday I had to reboot 
 for some reason but otherwise the IDE can run in background 
 during days...
There is 0 IDE with auto import, smart completion, refactor tools, built-in VCS, code generation This is why i ask why people make their IDE instead of using from starting existing base like IntelliJ No need recreate the wheel
Feb 10
parent reply Jerry <hurricane hereiam.com> writes:
On Saturday, 11 February 2017 at 00:35:45 UTC, SC wrote:
 There is 0 IDE with auto import, smart completion, refactor 
 tools, built-in VCS, code generation

 This is why i ask why people make their IDE instead of using 
 from starting existing base like IntelliJ

 No need recreate the wheel
You pretty much need to recreate the wheel, if you strip out all the language features of Intellij it becomes a shell just like any other IDE out there. You have to implement all the functionality for the specific language. There are good IDEs out there that provide enough functionality to make coding easy enough. You can look at Visual D or Mono D, both are decent. Those features aren't that easy to implement, most of the IDEs for D all use the same backend tools. Sure you like to use Intellij, but there aren't enough people for that. Most of the IDE plugins are written by a single person, whereas something like CLion is written by a whole team dedicated to working on it. It just isn't going to happen. Even then CLion is still horrible at doing things like refactoring. It's still stuck with having to use CMake as well, not everyone wants to use that.
Feb 11
parent reply SC <SC gmail.com> writes:
D lang exist for more than a decade and it still haven't got a 
proper IDE with decent debugging support

The comunity is splitting their effort in personal IDE projects 
that will die at some point because lack of interest/motivation

I know lot of people who prefer to learn something else because 
of lack of IDE/Tooling
Feb 16
next sibling parent reply Jerry <hurricane hereiam.com> writes:
On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 18:04:43 UTC, SC wrote:
 D lang exist for more than a decade and it still haven't got a 
 proper IDE with decent debugging support

 The comunity is splitting their effort in personal IDE projects 
 that will die at some point because lack of interest/motivation

 I know lot of people who prefer to learn something else because 
 of lack of IDE/Tooling
They aren't really splitting their efforts, there isn't much to implement as they all use the same backend tools that provides all the functionality. It' just the small amount of code to integrate it. People do what they do cause they want to. I would hate the fact if everyone just got up and only developed a Intellij plugin. I don't like those IDEs, they tend to be slow and bloated. Have you even tried Mono D or Visual D? They have decent debugging support. Just cause there isn't an Intellij plugin doesn't mean there aren't decent IDEs.
Feb 16
parent Dmitry <dmitry indiedev.ru> writes:
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 05:53:41 UTC, Jerry wrote:
 Have you even tried Mono D or Visual D? They have decent 
 debugging support.
Mono D has no debugging support on Windows.
Feb 17
prev sibling parent reply Kagamin <spam here.lot> writes:
On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 18:04:43 UTC, SC wrote:
 D lang exist for more than a decade and it still haven't got a 
 proper IDE with decent debugging support
Try Visual D.
Feb 17
next sibling parent reply SC <SC gmail.com> writes:
All these ones have poor auto-completion, no import suggestion, 
poor debugging feature, when comparing to something like Visual 
Stuido, QT Creator or Clion, it is far far behind, good editor = 
productivity boost, that's what companies want
Feb 28
parent aberba <karabutaworld gmail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 at 00:47:23 UTC, SC wrote:
 All these ones have poor auto-completion, no import suggestion, 
 poor debugging feature, when comparing to something like Visual 
 Stuido, QT Creator or Clion, it is far far behind, good editor 
 = productivity boost, that's what companies want
D need SDC compiler to mature to improve tooling.
Mar 01
prev sibling parent bitwise <bitwise.pvt gmail.com> writes:
On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 09:21:10 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
 On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 18:04:43 UTC, SC wrote:
 D lang exist for more than a decade and it still haven't got a 
 proper IDE with decent debugging support
Try Visual D.
^ Currently my weapon of choice. Best IDE at the moment. Breakpoints are buggy with DMD for me, but work perfectly with LDC.
Aug 31
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sergey Orlov <saorlov mail.ru> writes:
On Tuesday, 7 February 2017 at 15:48:43 UTC, SC wrote:
 Hello

 I'm a long time lurker, i always wanted to learn a system 
 language ( i'm currently using Java/Kotlin/C# )

 But the problem i got with D is the lack of IDE, when you 
 program in Java or C# everyday, you understand why good IDE 
 support is essential to be productive, and to learn new things 
 thanks to IDE features such as inspections

 Even Rust have great IDE support with IntelliJ, same for 
 Haskell, same for Go

 I see people creating their own ide, or rely on code editors 
 like vs code / atom / sublime

 I find this really counter productive, not because they are bad 
 or uncomplete, because people don't want to use other tools, 
 for some people they use one IDE for all their projects 
 (IntelliJ suite cover all rube/pyton/html/js/c#/java/go/c/c++)

 Guys, it's time to focus on IDE support, it's even in the road 
 map of rust https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/02/06/roadmap.html

 Good IDE support that everyone use (IntelliJ or VS, IntelliJ 
 would be best candidate since it's crossplatform, that's why 
 Rust and Go choosed it) will be a huge boost for the language 
 adoption IMO

 I'm currently learning Rust, and having a great intellij plugin 
 helped me a lot to learn it, and i feel comfortable with it, 
 but i'm dropping it because i don't like the language syntax

 So guys i hope you'll think about this and put all effort in 
 one IDE to make sure newbies can get their hand on D easily

 It's hard for me to explain since my english is really bad

 Thanks
I am agree with your opinion too. I just would like to start with D from .NET and Java world. Two days I am searching some working IDE. So powerful language and nothing about IDE. My exp are (Windows 10, 64 bit): 1. DLangIDE - amazing, natural, simple and fast. DCD works till first start debugging (Linux Mint too) 2. VisualD - can not even build HelloWorld Enterprise :) app (path problem) 3. TextAdept - DScanner works, DCD failed to work 4. .... Just would like to ask where people write code?
Mar 13
next sibling parent reply Mike Parker <aldacron gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 01:32:30 UTC, Sergey Orlov wrote:

 Just would like to ask where people write code?
With Java, I can't get by without an IDE anymore, but with D I just don't need one. I feel they actually get in my way. Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code do just fine.
Mar 13
parent reply SamwiseFilmore <mggmugginsmc gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 04:27:28 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 01:32:30 UTC, Sergey Orlov wrote:

 Just would like to ask where people write code?
With Java, I can't get by without an IDE anymore, but with D I just don't need one. I feel they actually get in my way. Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code do just fine.
Amen. I feel like IDE's like IntelliJ or Visual Studio allow the programmer to write programs TOO conveniently, besides them being quite overblown. In a lot of cases, you can autocomplete your way through the API, and end up with a large piece of source code that you don't understand, because you didn't write it. Your IDE did. I use atom with syntax highlighting and a terminal. Dub has a very nice and concise CLI that makes it really convenient to use, and it does everything I need and then some for a build system. Work is going on to get better autocomplete and inline error checking for atom, but even that makes me a tiny bit nervous about code quality. In general, I don't believe in using these huge tools because they turn an engineer into an end-user. There is a really good lecture that was given at DConf 2017 by Scott Meyers. I recommend you listen to the whole thing, but he has a section on tooling, which begins at 25:15 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT46MpK39rQ That addresses concerns about C++ mainly, but also shines some light on places where D excels and where it doesn't.
Aug 17
parent Gru <gru gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 17 August 2017 at 23:49:54 UTC, SamwiseFilmore wrote:
 On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 04:27:28 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
 On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 01:32:30 UTC, Sergey Orlov wrote:

 Just would like to ask where people write code?
With Java, I can't get by without an IDE anymore, but with D I just don't need one. I feel they actually get in my way. Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code do just fine.
Amen. I feel like IDE's like IntelliJ or Visual Studio allow the programmer to write programs TOO conveniently, besides them being quite overblown. In a lot of cases, you can autocomplete your way through the API, and end up with a large piece of source code that you don't understand, because you didn't write it. Your IDE did. I use atom with syntax highlighting and a terminal. Dub has a very nice and concise CLI that makes it really convenient to use, and it does everything I need and then some for a build system. Work is going on to get better autocomplete and inline error checking for atom, but even that makes me a tiny bit nervous about code quality. In general, I don't believe in using these huge tools because they turn an engineer into an end-user. There is a really good lecture that was given at DConf 2017 by Scott Meyers. I recommend you listen to the whole thing, but he has a section on tooling, which begins at 25:15 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT46MpK39rQ That addresses concerns about C++ mainly, but also shines some light on places where D excels and where it doesn't.
The talk mentioned is neither pro-tooling not counter-tooling. In fact, the takeaway can be "make your language easily tool-able so you don't have to write complex tools yourself". I simply cannot agree with a point above. Because you have autocomplete does not mean you don't understand the API. I don't even know how would you ever write code without understanding the API. My take is those archaic tools turn a programmer into a typist. If anyone is using a CLI or vim or whatever does not make him any better then someone using a GUI and an IDE. Focusing on tiring ceremony does not make one a better engineer. We are always working with software layers, and so we are end users of something. The best decision is working on the layer that is most appropriate. Sometimes it's low-level, sometimes it's high level.
Aug 18
prev sibling parent XavierAP <n3minis-git yahoo.es> writes:
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 01:32:30 UTC, Sergey Orlov wrote:
 My exp are (Windows 10, 64 bit):
 1. DLangIDE - amazing, natural, simple and fast. DCD works till 
 first start debugging
 (Linux Mint too)
 2. VisualD - can not even build HelloWorld Enterprise :) app 
 (path problem)
 3. TextAdept - DScanner works, DCD failed to work
 4. ....
 Just would like to ask where people write code?
I'm using the Visual D plugin on Windows. After having used Visual Studio and Qt Creator for C# and C++ I am satisfied.
Mar 13
prev sibling parent burber <burb dr.com> writes:
Yeah I personally think having an IDE that holds an environment 
similar to a Java IDE it would be pretty nice. Something like 
IntelliJ for D (the plugin is alright but it isn't as fast as 
writing Java in IntelliJ when I write D. Right now I use Eclipse 
with DDT since it has a nice auto completion feature and some 
other stuff. It's pretty good, but creating D files is kinda 
weird. You don't create a D class, you create a blank file that 
you have to manually set the extension type to and is in a folder 
rather than something like a package/module. I tried some other 
IDEs that were on the Wiki but they either a) didn't work or b) 
weren't that good. With the IntelliJ plugin (which seems pretty 
good in the screenshots) it crashed the IDE and produced a bunch 
of errors.

I think if D wanted to attract more attention or appeal to the 
Java crowd, they could quite easily do that and gain a lot more 
users if they were to create an IDE that was very similar in 
terms of assisting the user in typing automatically like almost 
any popular Java IDE. I really hope an IDE is released that is 
what I'm describing and if their isn't I'll have to look into 
making one.
Mar 18