www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ide - VisualD on macOS ?

reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
I've noticed that Visual Studio for macOS is available. I've no idea 
what's involved in creating a plugin for Visual Studio. But, if 
possible, how much work would it be to get VisualD to work on Visual 
Studio for Mac?

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
May 18
parent reply Jolly James <j.j jmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 18 May 2017 at 19:16:47 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 I've noticed that Visual Studio for macOS is available. I've no 
 idea what's involved in creating a plugin for Visual Studio. 
 But, if possible, how much work would it be to get VisualD to 
 work on Visual Studio for Mac?
Visual Studio for Mac - in fact - is a rebranded enhanced version of Xamarin Studio.
May 18
parent reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 18.05.2017 23:24, Jolly James wrote:
 On Thursday, 18 May 2017 at 19:16:47 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 I've noticed that Visual Studio for macOS is available. I've no idea
 what's involved in creating a plugin for Visual Studio. But, if
 possible, how much work would it be to get VisualD to work on Visual
 Studio for Mac?
Visual Studio for Mac - in fact - is a rebranded enhanced version of Xamarin Studio.
Good to know, thanks. I didn't find any information about its extensibility, but if it is similar to Xamarin Studio, Mono-D is likely to be easier to adapt to VS for mac.
May 18
parent reply Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2017-05-19 08:20, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

 Good to know, thanks. I didn't find any information about its
 extensibility, but if it is similar to Xamarin Studio, Mono-D is likely
 to be easier to adapt to VS for mac.
I just started watching this video from Build 2017 [1]. I haven't finished watching it yet but they mention as well that is based on Xamarin Studio but they have replaced many components with the corresponding ones from Visual Studio. They also mention that the IDE is architectured as a shell with all/most the functionally implemented as plugins/extensions. [1] https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2017/B8095 -- /Jacob Carlborg
May 18
parent reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 19.05.2017 08:27, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2017-05-19 08:20, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
 
 Good to know, thanks. I didn't find any information about its
 extensibility, but if it is similar to Xamarin Studio, Mono-D is likely
 to be easier to adapt to VS for mac.
I just started watching this video from Build 2017 [1]. I haven't finished watching it yet but they mention as well that is based on Xamarin Studio but they have replaced many components with the corresponding ones from Visual Studio. They also mention that the IDE is architectured as a shell with all/most the functionally implemented as plugins/extensions. [1] https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2017/B8095
Just had a look at VS for mac, and it's very much still MonoDevelop underneath: there is a folder Resources/lib/Monodevelop, and the extension system is the same. You can even add Alexander's repository and install Mono-D, but it later fails due to missing dependencies (needs Monodevelop components version 5.1, but VS provides "incompatible" versions 7.1).
May 20
parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2017-05-20 18:17, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

 Just had a look at VS for mac, and it's very much still MonoDevelop
 underneath: there is a folder Resources/lib/Monodevelop, and the
 extension system is the same. You can even add Alexander's repository
 and install Mono-D, but it later fails due to missing dependencies
 (needs Monodevelop components version 5.1, but VS provides
 "incompatible" versions 7.1).
Aha, I see. -- /Jacob Carlborg
May 21