www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ide - Picture showing broken VisualD

reply Profile Anaysis <PA gotacha.com> writes:
Here is a picture showing that VisualD is broken. It's been like 
this for awhile. Of course, this is just one picture out of many 
possible ones.

https://postimg.org/image/kvz3x9s93/

Seems like something may have changed in the name mangling. I'm 
going to update dmd. This does not occur with ldc.
Jan 25
parent reply Profile Anaysis <PA gotacha.com> writes:
On Thursday, 26 January 2017 at 07:10:53 UTC, Profile Anaysis 
wrote:
 Here is a picture showing that VisualD is broken. It's been 
 like this for awhile. Of course, this is just one picture out 
 of many possible ones.

 https://postimg.org/image/kvz3x9s93/

 Seems like something may have changed in the name mangling. I'm 
 going to update dmd. This does not occur with ldc.
Upgrading did not help. Probably a configuration issue on my side unless the same thing is happening for others(I did install latest beta Visual D the other day, that could have been the start).
Jan 25
parent reply Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario gmx.de> writes:
On 26.01.2017 08:14, Profile Anaysis wrote:
 On Thursday, 26 January 2017 at 07:10:53 UTC, Profile Anaysis wrote:
 Here is a picture showing that VisualD is broken. It's been like this
 for awhile. Of course, this is just one picture out of many possible
 ones.

 https://postimg.org/image/kvz3x9s93/

 Seems like something may have changed in the name mangling. I'm going
 to update dmd. This does not occur with ldc.
Upgrading did not help. Probably a configuration issue on my side unless the same thing is happening for others(I did install latest beta Visual D the other day, that could have been the start).
This is what happens often when using the Visual Studio Debugger with type names that contain '.'. It seems to confuse it a lot. That's why compilation with -gc replaces '.' with ' ' in the debug information. You can enable it in Visual D by selecting debug information "suitable for VS debug engine". I'd recommend trying the new debugger integration with the new beta (released on Tuesday) with a recent dmd (2.072 or later). This uses mago only for expression evaluation for locations that are actually compiled from D sources (visible by showing 'D' in the call stack). You'll have to configure debug information "suitable for mago", but still launch the Visual Studio debugger (by the setting on the "Debugging" page). BTW: what VS version are you using?
Jan 25
parent Profile Anaysis <PA gotacha.com> writes:
On Thursday, 26 January 2017 at 07:54:45 UTC, Rainer Schuetze 
wrote:
 On 26.01.2017 08:14, Profile Anaysis wrote:
[...]
This is what happens often when using the Visual Studio Debugger with type names that contain '.'. It seems to confuse it a lot. That's why compilation with -gc replaces '.' with ' ' in the debug information. You can enable it in Visual D by selecting debug information "suitable for VS debug engine". I'd recommend trying the new debugger integration with the new beta (released on Tuesday) with a recent dmd (2.072 or later). This uses mago only for expression evaluation for locations that are actually compiled from D sources (visible by showing 'D' in the call stack). You'll have to configure debug information "suitable for mago", but still launch the Visual Studio debugger (by the setting on the "Debugging" page). BTW: what VS version are you using?
Neither suggested solution worked. I am using VS15, VD0.44b2, dmd 2.073. I imagine the problem is with symbol resolution. Seems to show most things but this seems to fail.
Jan 27