www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ide - NetBeans

reply JC <jcrapuchettes gmail.com> writes:
I am considering trying NetBeans for all of my development. I have been using 
Eclipse, but have found that I am only using it because of its project
interface 
and its language highlight support (which sometimes doesn't work).

This brings me to my question: I know that NetBeans will work for PHP and C++, 
the other two languages I use, but is there a way to get it to work with D?

Thanks,
JC
May 06 2009
parent reply Chris Mueller <ruun.net googlemail.com> writes:
Hio,

i'm tyring to develop currently a D-Plugin for NetBeans for my bachelor thesis. 

It should be possible to get support for D.  NetBeans Framework give much help
to implement the gui for an IDE and provides different interfaces for
Syntax-Highlighting, Code-Completion and of course for defining the project
structure. 

But it's of course much work to get the flexibility and different features
which are in other popular IDEs are already integrated (and efficiency,
performance is also always discussed about java-based IDEs especially for
projects with many packages and modules).

I'm currently in the beginning.  At the moment i'm defining the project
structure on the filesystem and on the gui. Here's a small snapshot:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4481/testi.png :)





JC Wrote:

 I am considering trying NetBeans for all of my development. I have been using 
 Eclipse, but have found that I am only using it because of its project
interface 
 and its language highlight support (which sometimes doesn't work).
 
 This brings me to my question: I know that NetBeans will work for PHP and C++, 
 the other two languages I use, but is there a way to get it to work with D?
 
 Thanks,
 JC

May 16 2009
parent reply Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
Chris Mueller wrote:
 Hio,
 
 i'm tyring to develop currently a D-Plugin for NetBeans for my bachelor
thesis. 
 
 It should be possible to get support for D.  NetBeans Framework give much help
to implement the gui for an IDE and provides different interfaces for
Syntax-Highlighting, Code-Completion and of course for defining the project
structure. 
 
 But it's of course much work to get the flexibility and different features
which are in other popular IDEs are already integrated (and efficiency,
performance is also always discussed about java-based IDEs especially for
projects with many packages and modules).
 
 I'm currently in the beginning.  At the moment i'm defining the project
structure on the filesystem and on the gui. Here's a small snapshot:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4481/testi.png :)
 

Nice. How comprehensive do you plan on getting?
May 18 2009
parent reply Chris Mueller <ruun.net googlemail.com> writes:
The result of my thesis should be a starting point for an 
Open-Source-Project. I'm planing to create a small basic system which 
provides functionalities for developing small D projects, but can be 
extended later with all wished features an IDE should have.

It should have a defined project structure to manage source
code, packages, libraries and project specific properties.
Build process for compilation, running and linking should be delegated
to a Buildsystem like make or maybe even ant. Of course, DSSS is also an 
option. I'm also a supporter for an ide-independant project-type, Output
should be buildable via the buildsystem without the ide as well.

But I try to keep it also useable without having great knowledge about 
configuring build files. (I see it more an extension point for users, 
who want to have more control about the build process or even 
deployment. Maintaining the build file can be handled by IDE itself).

For the Code Editor i'm aiming to get syntax highlighting and 
Indentation, and maybe other features when i'll still have time in the 
end. For syntax highlighting i also got the idea to define the 
context-free grammer and make use of some different java parser and 
lexer generators. Will be probably a little difficult because what i 
know the specification of the current status of the language is only
located in the source code of the dmd compiler. But maybe it's also
a good starting point to formalize it. It's still open whether D1
or D2 will be used.

Library support is focused on static libs for now. (Dynamic libs is
in my opinion a little too complex for the thesis, especially it's 
handled differently on each plattform and linker. Should be added later)

Profiling, Code-Completion, Refactoring is currently not part of it,
because i want to focus first on the basics and the thesis takes only
3 months. Maybe i'll accomplish usage of the interfaces for debugging in
NetBeans but it also depends on the buildsystem, which must be 
implemented first :)

Let's see ...

Ideas, Issues, Wishes, Opinions are always welcome :)


Chris




Ellery Newcomer schrieb:
 Chris Mueller wrote:
 Hio,

 i'm tyring to develop currently a D-Plugin for NetBeans for my bachelor
thesis. 

 It should be possible to get support for D.  NetBeans Framework give much help
to implement the gui for an IDE and provides different interfaces for
Syntax-Highlighting, Code-Completion and of course for defining the project
structure. 

 But it's of course much work to get the flexibility and different features
which are in other popular IDEs are already integrated (and efficiency,
performance is also always discussed about java-based IDEs especially for
projects with many packages and modules).

 I'm currently in the beginning.  At the moment i'm defining the project
structure on the filesystem and on the gui. Here's a small snapshot:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4481/testi.png :)

Nice. How comprehensive do you plan on getting?

May 18 2009
parent reply Paul D. Anderson <paul.d.removethis.anderson comcast.andthis.net> writes:
Looking for info on NetBeans and D, I was surprised to find this
interview dated 18 months ago.

http://blogs.sun.com/geertjan/entry/interview_author_of_d_programmi
ng

Did the NetBeans editor ever get built? Is it available?

Paul
Jun 23 2009
parent reply Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer utulsa.edu> writes:
Paul D. Anderson wrote:
 Looking for info on NetBeans and D, I was surprised to find this
 interview dated 18 months ago.
 
 http://blogs.sun.com/geertjan/entry/interview_author_of_d_programmi
 ng
 
 Did the NetBeans editor ever get built? Is it available?
 
 Paul

I think that was BLS (?) And the answer is no, it didn't. Chris, where are you? Can I email you?
Jun 23 2009
parent reply Paul D. Anderson <paul.d.removethis.anderson comcast.andthis.net> writes:
Ellery Newcomer Wrote:

 Paul D. Anderson wrote:
 Looking for info on NetBeans and D, I was surprised to find this
 interview dated 18 months ago.
 
 http://blogs.sun.com/geertjan/entry/interview_author_of_d_programmi
 ng
 
 Did the NetBeans editor ever get built? Is it available?
 
 Paul

I think that was BLS (?) And the answer is no, it didn't. Chris, where are you? Can I email you?

Put me down for one of those willing to assist in getting NetBeans support for D. I see that the NetBeans 6.7 (in early release stage) no longer supports the Schliemann project, having consolidated language support into a Parsing API. There is a wiki page for new language support for the new process: http://wiki.netbeans.org/New_Language_Support_TutorialDevelopment_Version Paul
Jun 24 2009
parent Ary Borenszweig <ary esperanto.org.ar> writes:
Paul D. Anderson wrote:
 Ellery Newcomer Wrote:
 
 Paul D. Anderson wrote:
 Looking for info on NetBeans and D, I was surprised to find this
 interview dated 18 months ago.

 http://blogs.sun.com/geertjan/entry/interview_author_of_d_programmi
 ng

 Did the NetBeans editor ever get built? Is it available?

 Paul

And the answer is no, it didn't. Chris, where are you? Can I email you?

Put me down for one of those willing to assist in getting NetBeans support for D. I see that the NetBeans 6.7 (in early release stage) no longer supports the Schliemann project, having consolidated language support into a Parsing API. There is a wiki page for new language support for the new process: http://wiki.netbeans.org/New_Language_Support_TutorialDevelopment_Version

If somebody is going to get NetBeans support for D s/he should be free to use Descent's code, which has the lexer, parser, semantic analysis, etc.
Jun 24 2009