www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D.ide - I want to develop IDE for D

reply "Alexander77" <duzhar googlemail.com> writes:
Hi Guys

I started learning D language and I am so happy that it is so
powerful as C# or Java. But it seems there is no fully-fledged
IDE for D language yet. And I would like to spend my time to
write one, I was thinking about using Visual Studio or Qt Creator
for it.

I would like to ask if there is any need in writing IDE at this
moment?

P.S. I already have experience writing IDE in Visaul Studio (as
example have a look at full-fledged)
Jun 20 2012
next sibling parent reply Mirko Pilger <pilger cymotec.de> writes:
 I would like to ask if there is any need in writing IDE at this
 moment?

i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups for information about what people in the d community expect from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple threads about this lately. i'm confident you might want to rethink some of your own ideas after reading those. ;) somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days and might be looking for help. you can find it here: https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj
Jun 20 2012
next sibling parent Jacob Carlborg <doob me.com> writes:
On 2012-06-20 22:11, bioinfornatics wrote:
 Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 à 14:01 -0500, Jimmy Cao a écrit :
 You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio addon IDE
 that is extremely handy and functional.

 On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, "Mirko Pilger"<pilger cymotec.de>  wrote:
                  I would like to ask if there is any need in writing
                  IDE at this
                  moment?

          i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups
          for information about what people in the d community expect
          from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple threads
          about this lately. i'm confident you  might want to rethink
          some of your own ideas after reading those. ;)

          somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days
          and might be looking for help. you can find it here:
          https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj

A D IDE for only windows while D is use by Windows,Apple and Linux is a really a bad idea my 2 cents

DDT, a plugin for Eclipse is an alternative. -- /Jacob Carlborg
Jun 20 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Matthias Pleh <benutzer example.com> writes:
Am 20.06.2012 22:11, schrieb bioinfornatics:
 Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 à 14:01 -0500, Jimmy Cao a écrit :
 You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio addon IDE
 that is extremely handy and functional.

 On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, "Mirko Pilger"<pilger cymotec.de>  wrote:
                  I would like to ask if there is any need in writing
                  IDE at this
                  moment?

          i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups
          for information about what people in the d community expect
          from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple threads
          about this lately. i'm confident you  might want to rethink
          some of your own ideas after reading those. ;)

          somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days
          and might be looking for help. you can find it here:
          https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj

A D IDE for only windows while D is use by Windows,Apple and Linux is a really a bad idea my 2 cents

That's not true. For example, SharpDevelop started as a Windows-only C#, VisualStudio clone. Someone took that codebase, ported it to linux and MonoDevelop was born. A Crossplatform C# (and now D) IDE. That's how Open Source works. Someone starts a poject, not what others want or need, but rather what the starter of the project want to code on! my 2 cents
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling parent reply dennis luehring <dl.soluz gmx.net> writes:
Am 21.06.2012 10:39, schrieb Alexander77:
 On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 19:23:17 UTC, Jimmy Cao wrote:
 You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio
 addon IDE that

Yes, I am using it at this moment but it seems not all IDE functions are working for me. and this is main reason why I want to write fully-fledged IDE.

don't talk about it - just do it - and you will see how many months( or years) of hard work is needed to get even to the state were VisualD currently is try even to come up with a list of needed features for a better IDE - the list will become very long good luck
Jun 21 2012
parent dennis luehring <dl.soluz gmx.net> writes:
Am 21.06.2012 13:58, schrieb Alexander77:
 I have written one fully-functional(auto-complete etc) IDE
 already for VS,

you mean a plugin, or? VS itself is the IDE btw: the buildin debugger of Studio does not work for D stuff - because of different Debug-Formats, VisualD got support for pdb-files buildin, will also try to come to this state - or just an Editor (which is not an IDE) which programming language does your "IDE" support?
 It took me a year to finish everything, so I am
 100% aware how much work it will be required to be done. So at
 this moment I am just checking possibilities which IDE to use as
 a base.

Why don't you extend VisualD to your needs - or is there something wrong with the curren D source or licence of VisualD?
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jimmy Cao <jcao219 gmail.com> writes:
--bcaec55407c0dabf2904c2ec058a
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio addon IDE that
is extremely handy and functional.
On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, "Mirko Pilger" <pilger cymotec.de> wrote:

 I would like to ask if there is any need in writing IDE at this
 moment?

i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups for information about what people in the d community expect from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple threads about this lately. i'm confident you might want to rethink some of your own ideas after reading those. ;) somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days and might be looking for help. you can find it here: https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj

--bcaec55407c0dabf2904c2ec058a Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <p>You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio addon IDE tha= t is extremely handy and functional.</p> <div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, &quot;Mirko Pilger&quot= ; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pilger cymotec.de">pilger cymotec.de</a>&gt; wrote:= <br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:= 0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> I would like to ask if there is any need in writing IDE at this<br> moment?<br> </blockquote> <br> i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups for informat= ion about what people in the d community expect from an _ideal_ d ide. ther= e were actual a couple threads about this lately. i&#39;m confident you =A0= might want to rethink some of your own ideas after reading those. ;)<br> <br> somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days and might be= looking for help. you can find it here: <a href=3D"https://github.com/dnew= bie/dpj" target=3D"_blank">https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj</a><br> <br> <br> </blockquote></div> --bcaec55407c0dabf2904c2ec058a--
Jun 20 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> writes:
Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 =C3=A0 14:01 -0500, Jimmy Cao a =C3=A9crit :
 You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio addon IDE
 that is extremely handy and functional.
=20
 On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, "Mirko Pilger" <pilger cymotec.de> wrote:
                 I would like to ask if there is any need in writing
                 IDE at this
                 moment?
        =20
         i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups
         for information about what people in the d community expect
         from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple threads
         about this lately. i'm confident you  might want to rethink
         some of your own ideas after reading those. ;)
        =20
         somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days
         and might be looking for help. you can find it here:
         https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj
        =20
        =20

A D IDE for only windows while D is use by Windows,Apple and Linux is a really a bad idea my 2 cents
Jun 20 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Jimmy Cao <jcao219 gmail.com> writes:
--e0cb4efe323cb4c3ba04c2f079f6
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Sometimes people focus on Windows programming.

He mentioned Visual Studio and C#, so that's why I brought up VisualD.

2012/6/20 bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org>

 Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 =E0 14:01 -0500, Jimmy Cao a =E9crit :
 You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio addon IDE
 that is extremely handy and functional.

 On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, "Mirko Pilger" <pilger cymotec.de> wrote:
                 I would like to ask if there is any need in writing
                 IDE at this
                 moment?

         i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the newsgroups
         for information about what people in the d community expect
         from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple threads
         about this lately. i'm confident you  might want to rethink
         some of your own ideas after reading those. ;)

         somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the last days
         and might be looking for help. you can find it here:
         https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj

A D IDE for only windows while D is use by Windows,Apple and Linux is a really a bad idea my 2 cents

--e0cb4efe323cb4c3ba04c2f079f6 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Sometimes people focus on Windows programming.<div><br></div><div>He mentio= ned Visual Studio and C#, so that&#39;s why I brought up VisualD.</div><div=
<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">2012/6/20 bioinfornatics <span dir=3D"ltr">=

ioinfornatics fedoraproject.org</a>&gt;</span><br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 =E0 14:01 -0500, Ji= mmy Cao a =E9crit :<br> <div class=3D"im">&gt; You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual = studio addon IDE<br> &gt; that is extremely handy and functional.<br> &gt;<br> &gt; On Jun 20, 2012 1:32 PM, &quot;Mirko Pilger&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailt= o:pilger cymotec.de">pilger cymotec.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br> </div><div><div class=3D"h5">&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I would l= ike to ask if there is any need in writing<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 IDE at this<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 moment?<br> &gt;<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 i would suggest you take a few steps back. scan the ne= wsgroups<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 for information about what people in the d community e= xpect<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 from an _ideal_ d ide. there were actual a couple thre= ads<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 about this lately. i&#39;m confident you =A0might want= to rethink<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 some of your own ideas after reading those. ;)<br> &gt;<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 somebody also announced a mini- ide written in d the l= ast days<br> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 and might be looking for help. you can find it here:<b= r> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 <a href=3D"https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj" target=3D"_= blank">https://github.com/dnewbie/dpj</a><br> &gt;<br> &gt;<br> <br> </div></div>A D IDE for only windows while D is use by Windows,Apple and Li= nux is a<br> really a bad idea<br> <br> my 2 cents<br> <br> </blockquote></div><br></div> --e0cb4efe323cb4c3ba04c2f079f6--
Jun 20 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alexander77" <duzhar googlemail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 19:23:17 UTC, Jimmy Cao wrote:
 You may want to check out VisualD which is a visual studio 
 addon IDE that

Yes, I am using it at this moment but it seems not all IDE functions are working for me. and this is main reason why I want to write fully-fledged IDE.
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alexander77" <duzhar googlemail.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 21:14:59 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
 On 2012-06-20 22:11, bioinfornatics wrote:

 DDT, a plugin for Eclipse is an alternative.

Tried it, but because of little experience with Eclipse I didn't manage to install it.
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alexander77" <duzhar googlemail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 21 June 2012 at 10:58:10 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
 Am 21.06.2012 10:39, schrieb Alexander77:

 don't talk about it - just do it - and you will see how many 
 months( or years) of hard work is needed to get even to the 
 state were VisualD currently is

 try even to come up with a list of needed features for a better 
 IDE - the list will become very long

 good luck

I have written one fully-functional(auto-complete etc) IDE already for VS, It took me a year to finish everything, so I am 100% aware how much work it will be required to be done. So at this moment I am just checking possibilities which IDE to use as a base. Thx.
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alexander77" <duzhar googlemail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 21 June 2012 at 15:14:35 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
 Am 21.06.2012 13:58, schrieb Alexander77:
 I have written one fully-functional(auto-complete etc) IDE
 already for VS,

you mean a plugin, or? VS itself is the IDE

I mean a plugin (I don't think there is any need to write IDE from beginning)
 btw: the buildin debugger of Studio does not work for D stuff - 
 because of different Debug-Formats, VisualD got support for 
 pdb-files buildin, will also try to come to this state - or 
 just an Editor (which is not an IDE)

yes, I know, I had a look at VisualD already
 which programming language does your "IDE" support?

it supports Unreal Script (Java-like language), of cause it is not so complex as D.
 Why don't you extend VisualD to your needs - or is there 
 something
 wrong with the curren D source or licence of VisualD?

No, One of the option is to extend VisualD and other one is using Qt Creator as a base for plugin. Only difference that I have experience with writing "Language Packages" for VS and do not experience with writing a plugin for Qt Creator But what I really want to find out if there is any need in any IDE or people just happy to use a text editor and a command line compiler.
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Kiith-Sa" <42 theanswer.com> writes:
A Qt Creator based D IDE would be awesome.

It would have to surpass my Vim D config for me to
actually use it, though.

I don't care about Visual Studio (Windows only),
and Eclipse is way too slow.
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent bioinfornatics <bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> writes:
Le jeudi 21 juin 2012 =C3=A0 20:57 +0200, Kiith-Sa a =C3=A9crit :
 A Qt Creator based D IDE would be awesome.
=20
 It would have to surpass my Vim D config for me to
 actually use it, though.
=20
 I don't care about Visual Studio (Windows only),
 and Eclipse is way too slow.
=20
=20

Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Andrew Wiley <wiley.andrew.j gmail.com> writes:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM, bioinfornatics
<bioinfornatics fedoraproject.org> wrote:
 Le jeudi 21 juin 2012 =E0 20:57 +0200, Kiith-Sa a =E9crit :
 A Qt Creator based D IDE would be awesome.

 It would have to surpass my Vim D config for me to
 actually use it, though.

 I don't care about Visual Studio (Windows only),
 and Eclipse is way too slow.


Visual Studio has a vim plugin :D
Jun 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Christian Manning" <cmanning999 gmail.com> writes:
On Thursday, 21 June 2012 at 15:39:38 UTC, Alexander77 wrote:
 On Thursday, 21 June 2012 at 15:14:35 UTC, dennis luehring 
 wrote:
 Am 21.06.2012 13:58, schrieb Alexander77:
 I have written one fully-functional(auto-complete etc) IDE
 already for VS,

you mean a plugin, or? VS itself is the IDE

I mean a plugin (I don't think there is any need to write IDE from beginning)
 btw: the buildin debugger of Studio does not work for D stuff 
 - because of different Debug-Formats, VisualD got support for 
 pdb-files buildin, will also try to come to this state - or 
 just an Editor (which is not an IDE)

yes, I know, I had a look at VisualD already
 which programming language does your "IDE" support?

it supports Unreal Script (Java-like language), of cause it is not so complex as D.
 Why don't you extend VisualD to your needs - or is there 
 something
 wrong with the curren D source or licence of VisualD?

No, One of the option is to extend VisualD and other one is using Qt Creator as a base for plugin. Only difference that I have experience with writing "Language Packages" for VS and do not experience with writing a plugin for Qt Creator But what I really want to find out if there is any need in any IDE or people just happy to use a text editor and a command line compiler.

Qt Creator is hands down the best IDE I've used for C++ so D support in it would be incredible! I've never seen a language plugin for it though
Jun 22 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Alexander77" <duzhar googlemail.com> writes:
On Friday, 22 June 2012 at 11:37:51 UTC, Christian Manning wrote:

 I've never seen a language plugin for it though

" Extend Qt Creator Even though Qt Creator and Eclipse are different tools written in different programming languages, they still share the approach of adding all the functionality by plugins. So, from that point of view Qt Creator and Eclipse can be seen more as plugin frameworks instead of IDEs. " I hope it is possible to do.
Jun 22 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "nazriel" <damian dzfl.pl> writes:
On Friday, 22 June 2012 at 13:48:03 UTC, Alexander77 wrote:
 On Friday, 22 June 2012 at 11:37:51 UTC, Christian Manning 
 wrote:

 I've never seen a language plugin for it though

" Extend Qt Creator Even though Qt Creator and Eclipse are different tools written in different programming languages, they still share the approach of adding all the functionality by plugins. So, from that point of view Qt Creator and Eclipse can be seen more as plugin frameworks instead of IDEs. " I hope it is possible to do.

I currently use Mono-D (MonoDevelop addin) and it works really, really good. Probably I don't need anything else but... But idea about QtCreator + D is really awesome! I find QtCreator to be one of the best IDEs I used for C++
Jun 25 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Henning Pohl" <henning still-hidden.de> writes:
On Monday, 25 June 2012 at 16:28:36 UTC, nazriel wrote:
 I currently use Mono-D (MonoDevelop addin) and it works really, 
 really good.
 Probably I don't need anything else but...

 But idea about QtCreator + D is really awesome!
 I find QtCreator to be one of the best IDEs I used for C++

I've also used Qt Creator for a long time, it's a really great IDE with built-in CMake support and debugger. In addition it is very fast, maybe I can make myself writing a plugin if there are many ppl after it.
Jul 19 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "nazriel" <spam dzfl.pl> writes:
On Thursday, 19 July 2012 at 20:02:59 UTC, Henning Pohl wrote:
 On Monday, 25 June 2012 at 16:28:36 UTC, nazriel wrote:
 I currently use Mono-D (MonoDevelop addin) and it works 
 really, really good.
 Probably I don't need anything else but...

 But idea about QtCreator + D is really awesome!
 I find QtCreator to be one of the best IDEs I used for C++

I've also used Qt Creator for a long time, it's a really great IDE with built-in CMake support and debugger. In addition it is very fast, maybe I can make myself writing a plugin if there are many ppl after it.

I would play with it for sure.
Jul 21 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Jeff" <urieal gmail.com> writes:
On Sunday, 22 July 2012 at 05:26:22 UTC, nazriel wrote:
 On Thursday, 19 July 2012 at 20:02:59 UTC, Henning Pohl wrote:
 On Monday, 25 June 2012 at 16:28:36 UTC, nazriel wrote:
 I currently use Mono-D (MonoDevelop addin) and it works 
 really, really good.
 Probably I don't need anything else but...

 But idea about QtCreator + D is really awesome!
 I find QtCreator to be one of the best IDEs I used for C++

I've also used Qt Creator for a long time, it's a really great IDE with built-in CMake support and debugger. In addition it is very fast, maybe I can make myself writing a plugin if there are many ppl after it.

I would play with it for sure.

Jul 26 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent Gyula Gubacsi <gyula.gubacsi gmail.com> writes:
--20cf303347c5571f6404c69b178d
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

It's easy. Once you have the Eclipse (3.7 is safe to use), you go
Help/Install New Software, and in the first field you add a new update
site: http://ddt.eclipselabs.org.codespot.com/git.updates/

Click the DDT project and OK.
Don't forget to specify the DMD/GDC executable package
(Window/Preferences/DDT/Compilers). On Windows, with DMD you have to give
the path:
 <path-to-dmd-installation>\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe

And it is ready to work! (The compiler doesn't come in bundle so you need
to have DMD installed on your box, which you most likely have already).

I would like to persuade you to have a closer look on the DDT project. It
is cross-platform, and though Eclipse is slow because of Java, it has
everything what a programmer needs. There's a big need for people improving
the DDT project. VisualD is so far the most well equipped IDE, but it is
also a sort of dead-end in cross-platform sense because the underlying IDE
can not be ported to linux/mac.

QtCreator also a good choice (especially if I can get the QtD building on
Linux box :) ).
**
On 21 June 2012 09:40, Alexander77 <duzhar googlemail.com> wrote:

 On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 21:14:59 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

 On 2012-06-20 22:11, bioinfornatics wrote:

DDT, a plugin for Eclipse is an alternative.

Tried it, but because of little experience with Eclipse I didn't manage to install it.

--20cf303347c5571f6404c69b178d Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable It&#39;s easy. Once you have the Eclipse (3.7 is safe to use), you go Help/= Install New Software, and in the first field you add a new update site: <a = href=3D"http://ddt.eclipselabs.org.codespot.com/git.updates/" rel=3D"nofoll= ow">http://ddt.eclipselabs.org.codespot.com/git.updates/</a><br> <br>Click the DDT project and OK.<br>Don&#39;t forget to specify the DMD/GD= C executable package (Window/Preferences/DDT/Compilers). On Windows, with D= MD you have to give the path:<br>=A0&lt;path-to-dmd-installation&gt;\dmd2\w= indows\bin\dmd.exe<br> <br>And it is ready to work! (The compiler doesn&#39;t come in bundle so yo= u need to have DMD installed on your box, which you most likely have alread= y).<br><br>I would like to persuade you to have a closer look on the DDT pr= oject. It is cross-platform, and though Eclipse is slow because of Java, it= has everything what a programmer needs. There&#39;s a big need for people = improving the DDT project. VisualD is so far the most well equipped IDE, bu= t it is also a sort of dead-end in cross-platform sense because the underly= ing IDE can not be ported to linux/mac.<br> <br>QtCreator also a good choice (especially if I can get the QtD building = on Linux box :) ).<br><em></em><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 21 June 20= 12 09:40, Alexander77 <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duzhar google= mail.com" target=3D"_blank">duzhar googlemail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On Wednesday, 20 June 2012= at 21:14:59 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:<br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p= x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> On 2012-06-20 22:11, bioinfornatics wrote:<br> </blockquote> <br> </div><div class=3D"im"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0= 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> DDT, a plugin for Eclipse is an alternative.<br> </blockquote> <br></div> Tried it, but because of little experience with Eclipse I didn&#39;t manage= to install =A0 it.<br> </blockquote></div><br> --20cf303347c5571f6404c69b178d--
Aug 06 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "alex" <info alexanderbothe.com> writes:
On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 16:06:22 UTC, Alexander77 wrote:
 Hi Guys

 I started learning D language and I am so happy that it is so
 powerful as C# or Java. But it seems there is no fully-fledged
 IDE for D language yet. And I would like to spend my time to
 write one, I was thinking about using Visual Studio or Qt 
 Creator
 for it.

 I would like to ask if there is any need in writing IDE at this
 moment?

 P.S. I already have experience writing IDE in Visaul Studio (as
 example have a look at full-fledged)

I am developing the Mono-D addin for MonoDevelop. Thanks nazriel for mentioning Mono-D ;)! The development is quite interesting but time intensive. Code completion for most syntax cases and many other things are there already - the plugin code is kept in C#, so if you're interested - come on join me developing a very promising project :) http://mono-d.alexanderbothe.com https://github.com/aBothe/Mono-d https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser Oh and there's a very small IDE called D-IDE that I'm developing, too - it's based on SharpDevelop components and is extended more and more. It contains the same code completion capabilities as Mono-D does due to a shared Parser library base + couple of debugging features. http://d-ide.sourceforge.net https://github.com/aBothe/D-IDE
Aug 10 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Brad" <fraksworld hotmail.com> writes:
What about Sublime Text? That is a really awesome editor with the 
ability to write plug-in functionality.

CodeBlocks already supports D, I like that as its free in cost 
and open source.

I dont think QT Creator is a good idea because Nokia fired the 
entire QT staff and recently sold QT to a small statup company. 
So QT's future is still unsure.
Aug 11 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Henning Pohl" <henning still-hidden.de> writes:
On Saturday, 11 August 2012 at 00:39:17 UTC, alex wrote:
 I am developing the Mono-D addin for MonoDevelop. Thanks 
 nazriel for mentioning Mono-D ;)!
 The development is quite interesting but time intensive. Code 
 completion for most syntax cases and many other things are 
 there already - the plugin code is kept in C#, so if you're 
 interested - come on join me developing a very promising 
 project :)

 http://mono-d.alexanderbothe.com
 https://github.com/aBothe/Mono-d
 https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser

 Oh and there's a very small IDE called D-IDE that I'm 
 developing, too - it's based on SharpDevelop components and is 
 extended more and more. It contains the same code completion 
 capabilities as Mono-D does due to a shared Parser library base 
 + couple of debugging features.

 http://d-ide.sourceforge.net
 https://github.com/aBothe/D-IDE

The problem is that the IDE I need has to support both D and CMake. QtCreator has good CMake support and debugging facilities and some basic syntax highlighting. So I'm thinking of creating a plugin for some more editing features. MonoDevelop doesn't support CMake, does it? I would switch to it when it would.
Aug 13 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "alex" <info alexanderbothe.com> writes:
On Monday, 13 August 2012 at 07:18:07 UTC, Henning Pohl wrote:
 On Saturday, 11 August 2012 at 00:39:17 UTC, alex wrote:
 I am developing the Mono-D addin for MonoDevelop. Thanks 
 nazriel for mentioning Mono-D ;)!
 The development is quite interesting but time intensive. Code 
 completion for most syntax cases and many other things are 
 there already - the plugin code is kept in C#, so if you're 
 interested - come on join me developing a very promising 
 project :)

 http://mono-d.alexanderbothe.com
 https://github.com/aBothe/Mono-d
 https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser

 Oh and there's a very small IDE called D-IDE that I'm 
 developing, too - it's based on SharpDevelop components and is 
 extended more and more. It contains the same code completion 
 capabilities as Mono-D does due to a shared Parser library 
 base + couple of debugging features.

 http://d-ide.sourceforge.net
 https://github.com/aBothe/D-IDE

The problem is that the IDE I need has to support both D and CMake. QtCreator has good CMake support and debugging facilities and some basic syntax highlighting. So I'm thinking of creating a plugin for some more editing features. MonoDevelop doesn't support CMake, does it? I would switch to it when it would.

CMake? So the classical makefile support? No, but I guess that it was no problem to implement this feature. Besides, why should it support this whereas Mono-D itself delivers a relatively stable build system already?
Aug 13 2012
prev sibling next sibling parent "Henning Pohl" <henning still-hidden.de> writes:
On Monday, 13 August 2012 at 10:35:38 UTC, alex wrote:
 On Monday, 13 August 2012 at 07:18:07 UTC, Henning Pohl wrote:
 On Saturday, 11 August 2012 at 00:39:17 UTC, alex wrote:
 I am developing the Mono-D addin for MonoDevelop. Thanks 
 nazriel for mentioning Mono-D ;)!
 The development is quite interesting but time intensive. Code 
 completion for most syntax cases and many other things are 
 there already - the plugin code is kept in C#, so if you're 
 interested - come on join me developing a very promising 
 project :)

 http://mono-d.alexanderbothe.com
 https://github.com/aBothe/Mono-d
 https://github.com/aBothe/D_Parser

 Oh and there's a very small IDE called D-IDE that I'm 
 developing, too - it's based on SharpDevelop components and 
 is extended more and more. It contains the same code 
 completion capabilities as Mono-D does due to a shared Parser 
 library base + couple of debugging features.

 http://d-ide.sourceforge.net
 https://github.com/aBothe/D-IDE

The problem is that the IDE I need has to support both D and CMake. QtCreator has good CMake support and debugging facilities and some basic syntax highlighting. So I'm thinking of creating a plugin for some more editing features. MonoDevelop doesn't support CMake, does it? I would switch to it when it would.

CMake? So the classical makefile support? No, but I guess that it was no problem to implement this feature. Besides, why should it support this whereas Mono-D itself delivers a relatively stable build system already?

I believe in CMake as the only cross-platform build system that supports easy use of external libraries. There are many scripts out there to find specific libraries to automatically include and link them. Many well-known applications and libraries use CMake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMake#Notable_applications I would really appreciate if any D plugin for any IDE would support CMake. And QtCreator already supports CMake so it is my IDE of choice right now.
Aug 13 2012
prev sibling parent "Suliman" <evermind live.ru> writes:
Please, look at http://www.dsource.org/projects/poseidon/

maybe you would interesting in continue of developing this IDE...
Aug 16 2012